Advise on TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001 | 07:40 PM

Post Advise on TL-S

Hey all!

i just came across this board and wanted to say hello to all of you. my name is Arif and i live in the DC/VA area.

i am in the market for a new sedan but am a little confused. ever since the TL was introduced in 1999, i fell in love with it. you couldnt beat the value for the buck factor and still cant.

my ideal TL (Blue w/ Ebony)would have the Nav system and the body kit + spoiler when bought new, with mods to follow later.

the Type S numbers speak for themselves. however i am not yet sold on the front changes that acura made for the 2002 model. not too fond of the larger grille and elongated headlights! then there is the fake black wood trim which IMO looks cheesy. also would the body kit be available for the TypeS? front seems to be lower than the previous models, doesnt it?

finally i wanted to know what other cars did some of you have in mind when shopping for the TL? with the options that i am looking to get the TL would price out at approx. $35,000 & some change (2K for Nav + 2K for kit)!

should i expect to pay msrp or are acura dealers usually flexible? what do you think is a reasonable price? i dont mind waiting a few months till the hoopla dies after the first shipment rolls along.

my other choices are the BMW 5 series but that would cost me another 8-10K, an amount that i am willing to put towards my next motorcycle instead

thats pretty much it i guess..... btw has anyone replaced the wood trim with carbon fiber?

thanks and drive safe!!

-------
Arif

Old 01-30-2001 | 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Dealers vary tremendously. For best quote Suggest you try autobytel or similar, and use that to leverage the dealer nearest you or else use the autobytel dealer and drive a little ways for service. As far as the cars go, there really isn't anything else even close for the bucks. Try spec'in out a BMW or MB & see what kind of MSRP you end up with without even half the equipment that the TL offers as standard. Just my 2 cents worth.
Vic
Old 01-31-2001 | 07:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally posted by 88Ledge:
As far as the cars go, there really isn't anything else even close for the bucks. Try spec'in out a BMW or MB & see what kind of MSRP you end up with without even half the equipment that the TL offers as standard. Just my 2 cents worth.
Vic
I agree. Many people complain about to TL is not good enough in terms of "performance" or other things compared with other cars like a BMW. However for that price, I don't think there's something better equipped out there.
Old 01-31-2001 | 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Hello and welcome to the board....

I'll try to answer some of your questions (in order).......

1) The changes to the '02 aren't that bad and actually make the car look really aggressive, especially when viewed head on. Don't worry, it'll grow on you . As far as the fake wood, the black is a little cheesy, but it grows on you too.

2) The only other car I'm looking at is the CL Type S. Deciding factor will be price. The body kit is not available (at least at launch) for the '02 models, so you'll save some money there. Expect to pay around $33k for a TL-S with Navi (that's what my dealer quoted).

3) Expect to pay MSRP at least until the summer time. If the demand doesn't die down by then, expect to pay MSRP (or close to it) for a while. An example would be the MDX....it's been out for months now, but they can't keep them on the lot and it's still selling at MSRP.

4) Personally, I like BMWs, but for all of the extra money you'll spend on it, I'll take aTL-S any day. Not even close. Save the money and use it on other stuff. Plus, then you can stay on this board with us

Hope some of that helps!!

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S...
(CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 01-31-2001 | 11:42 PM
Racer

Cool

hey azob,

i will sell you mine, i'm getting the tl-s and need to get rid of mine, lot's of accesories all for 28,000, with nav, check it out
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/album...7768&a=9873451

------------------
2000 TL, Satin Silver, Burlwood shifter, Fog light ports, front air dam and mud gaurds custom painted to match car! 18" Alba Blaze with 235/40ZR18 Toyo Proxes F4

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by fred3113 on January 31, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by fred3113 on January 31, 2001 @ ]</font>