Add me to the dead tranny list!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the dead tranny list!

Alright, well, i noticed it on my way to work this morning, but only noticed gear slips like two times. Then leaving from work to go to lunch, i notice the car slipping really bad. Going from 5th straight to 2nd really hard, or whatever. Then i go home to eat. I leave to go back to work, and my car doesn't want to shift out of 1st or 2nd gear anymore. So instead of going to work, i turn around and drive it home going about 30mph because it doesn't want to accelerate.

Well, i called the dealership where i bought the car, and i'm getting it towed there. I do have aftermarket headers, and they're OBX, and not comptech. Do you expect them to give me some bull**** about it? Also, it sucks, but the rental car is going to be an enterprise car, lol, damnit. But um, what should i do if they try to blame the tranny failure on my obx headers?

And also, can i request a replaced tranny? or will they rebuild or patch up my old one?

Thanks!

-Rob
Old 09-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the club .. i'm on #2
Old 09-24-2003, 06:58 PM
10th Gear

hey rob,

what yr is ur tl. is it the type s. they are not going to blame it on the headers. acura is well aware about the problems with the tl transmissions. i have an 03 type s that i bought last year, and just this past april my tranny went. it only had 9000 miles on it.
how they repair it is that they order all new parts but use a used casing. my tl hasn't been the same, very rough and not as smooth as it use to be. i also heard that they reprogram the ecu(the computer) so that you are getting less horsepower, that way the tranny won't go again so quickly. you might want to look out for that. if you hear anything about this let me know. thanks

john
Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Hmmm... so the new transmission won't allow me to produce the power i was getting before? That will kind of suck. I actually heard the shifts are smoother and all reading the other posts in the archives. I really hope they keep the power the same if not better. Man, i don't know, Acura service really isn't that great. I guess it depends on the dealer, but i think next time i buy a car, i'll stick with Mercedes or Lexus. probably Lexus. They treated me very well when i came in to look at the IS300 before purchasing the TL. But oh well. I guess i'm living and learning.

Originally posted by AC03S
hey rob,

what yr is ur tl. is it the type s. they are not going to blame it on the headers. acura is well aware about the problems with the tl transmissions. i have an 03 type s that i bought last year, and just this past april my tranny went. it only had 9000 miles on it.
how they repair it is that they order all new parts but use a used casing. my tl hasn't been the same, very rough and not as smooth as it use to be. i also heard that they reprogram the ecu(the computer) so that you are getting less horsepower, that way the tranny won't go again so quickly. you might want to look out for that. if you hear anything about this let me know. thanks

john
Old 09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Advanced

I just got mine back after 11 days in the shop. Tranny #2 at 29k miles. It's smooth like silk right now. I would almost say that it's suspiciously too smooth (where the shifts were decisive before, it just glides from one gear to the next). I don't know if I've lost power nor do I know how to tell. I haven't really had an opportunity to put it through it's paces yet. But, we shall see. If anyone has any suggestions on how to tell if they've compromised the hp, let me know.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Welcome to the club .. i'm on #2
Peter,

Is your car slower on tranny #2? I recall that you have run yours at the track...
Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Instructor

I definitely know i'm not buying an Acura again.
Not just because of the transmission problems, but i mean, i'd expect luxury type service instead of hyndai type service. I went to pick up my loaner and it was a Dodge Neon, whoopdeedoo! I would've taken an RSX or something. Oh well, I know that i'm gonna be stickin' with Lexus or Mercedes from now on...