Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 09:55 AM
...and then there was One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shoofin'TL
It's funny, I was glancing at this thread, a customer called me and told me she has a 2003 Mitsu Eclipse GTS, fully loaded, 600 miles, HATES it, she wanna trade it in and get an IS300..She never test drove the car before buying it. I told her before she does anything to come in and test drive the IS first, then we'll talk..
Ed
Let's say you own a 2002 TL-S, and decide for some reason you want to trade it in for a 2003 TL-S (this could work for any car, as long as the situation is the same), I could then see why there is no real need for a test drive (even though I would, just in case there was a fit and finish issue). Otherwise, please test drive, people. That's like going out and buying a Ferrari Melano (sp?)because it has 400hp, but then saying the ride was too harsh. "But, it's a luxury sports car..."

disclaimer - the Ferrari was just thrown out there for reference. I have no idea how many ponies it actually has.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Well, #1, you bought the TL-S which is the "sports" model of the TL. More power, stiffer suspension, harder ride then the regular TL. Acura does not hide this fact.

#2 - did you actually test drive the car before you bought it? I mean, the stuff you're complaining about like the cupholders, 4 way power pass. seats, etc. could have easily been discovered on a test drive or by thumbing through a brochure. I have absolutely no simpathy for someone who makes an uninformed purchase. I mean, if the ride was so "stiff" to you, why didn't you look at the TL-P? Like someone said... you should have gotten an ES300 if you wanted a pillow ride.

#3 - The Camaro has more luxury? I can't believe I'm going to respond to this comment, but I think you may have a lemon. I've had people in my TL-S who drive new Mercedes' and BMW's and they were all impressed on how well it drove... so much so that they even commented that it was almost up to par with their cars and it was anywhere from $10k to $20k less.

I'm not sure that I can support your claims too much as it just seems you made an uninformed purchase. It's almost as if you were thought you were getting a Mercedes E class for the price of an Acura. I also don't think that the rep is really going to be able to do to much for you. He may slap you around a bit.. but other then that I think that you're the one who screwed up and purchased a car without knowing about it and without testing it out to see if it was the car for you. I think everyone on here accepts the fact that not everyone likes the TL/TL-S, but at least the people who don't like it tested it out before making their decision......
Old 07-30-2002, 01:02 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
There is a thing call test drive before buying a car.....

And I rather ride a bike than drive piece of junk Z28 or Olds.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't own the TL, it was probably a friend or mom's. How stupid can you be, not to noitce this on a test drive, why did you buy the car???????? because you didn't :p :p
Old 07-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Racer

Re: Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

no compass. no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights, only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat, cup holders for small cups only, a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. [/B][/QUOTE]
For a thread named Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car, you sure have a lot of gripes about crap that has nothing to do with handling or "riding". You got a sport model. Its stiff. Get some 15s or 16s with some fat rubber on there. It wont be as stiff. Better yet, get a TLP, or oem rims/tires from a TLP owner who is upgrading. I can't imagine that a TL's spring rate would be so aggressive as to be harsh to a fault. Maybe Im wrong, I don't have a TL.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car

Originally posted by The Due
I can't imagine that a TL's spring rate would be so aggressive as to be harsh to a fault. Maybe Im wrong, I don't have a TL.
Nope, you're right... and you know more about the TL then the guy who's complaining about the TL!!

It's a very smooth ride. Even with my 18" rims on it (no springs yet) it's smooth. Like Bitium said... he probably doesn't even have the car....
Old 07-30-2002, 02:29 PM
Instructor

No I don't feel the same way.

Sorry you don't like the car, but nothing you mention is something you shouldn't have known before you put your money down. I don't mean to be harsh, but it sounds like the real problem is not the car, but your choice of cars...
Old 07-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Paul03
I have a 03 Acura TL-S that is the worst riding car that I have ever owned. Why did Acura error on the side of hangling and continue to promote this car as a "near luxury car". I am so disappointed with the ride quality that I have written to Acura. (Want to see a copy of my letter, e-mail me at <pls241@earthlink.net>. Think about a "near luxury car" with no compass. no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights, only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat, cup holders for small cups only, a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. I bought the car for the 260HP engine and that the sales literature promoted comfort and luxuty. What a great combination. So I thought. Sorry, Acura missed the mark. My 1999 Camaro z28 has more comfort then this car. Acura in my opinion has created a $32,000 tank. Anyone else feel the same way? I am meeting with a Acura rep on the 6th of August and would appreciate any supporting comments.
Paul03
i think you just bought a car that you shouldn' t have, that's all. true it's not the most luxurious out there, but it's far from being the worst.

1) no compass? even my gs400 doesn't come with a compass... and gs400 is a 50k+ car mind you, and that car is luxury
2) no headlight auto on/off (if that's what you talking about), that's wrong, leave it on and leave the car, see if it will go off. if you mean it doesn't have auto light on sensor, then i agree that's something acura could work on
3) no day time driving light? it's a nice feature, but i don't see why it's a MUST, at least not in the US YET.
4) i agree 4 way seats for pessenger is a bit shbby, but seriously for a pessenger are the extra 4 ways (the front and back tilt of the seat) that important? you could, but pay another premium for that
5) cup holders for small cups?! excuse me, but i get a large drink and i can fit no problem. the only drink i can't fit in the stupid jumbo cup from mcdonalds. and to be frank i don't know if any car will hve cup holders that big. and also mind you, i have the gs400 and the cup holders in that thing is way worse to begin with!
6) lumber suppor that i agree with you, it would be nice to be powered, and probably more settings
7) hard seats? you are in the type s for god's sake. if you want really comfortable seats, get the non type s, they are much more comfortable. the seats are hard coz' it's a sport sedan and you want to hold yourself in the seat. try to sit in the m3 and m5, that's even WORSE using your definition. so i guess m3 and m5 are garbage then...
8) stiff suspension?! imho, thank god acura didnt' put in anything softer. this is a SPORT sedan. the suspensions and wheels on the tls are specially tuned for better handling. if you want a soft ride, get the non type s, it has thicker tires and also softer shocks.

my bottom line? we are talking about a sport sedan here, but you point out things that would totally defeat that purpose. and i am sure pretty much no one out there could argue that the tls is the best bang for the buck for a luxury sport sedan, period. true that the tls could use lots more improvement, but what would be the results? not much, just that you would be paying lots more for the car. get this fact, comparing all the cars in the same class, the tls is 32k, bimmer 540i sport would be 60k, gs300 would be 45k, gs400 would be 56k, mb e430 would be 60k, clear enough? i am sure if you can pay over 40k for the tls, acura will be able to make a damn good car out of it. you can't' ask for everything with the price you paying.

and my feeling? i love my tls. i have both the tls and the gs400, and it's true that they are like night and day difference, but i still love my tls. for the price i dont think i will ever get anything better. what if have tons more money? probably i would get the gs400 or the 540i sport, simple.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Instructor

what a freakin smuck.......!!!!!!!if you knew any better the tl is the best car for the money...sounds like to me that you need to go back and buy you a chevy sedan.....you're not wanted under acuras......and what is meeting with an acura rep gonna do there gonna look at you silly and say thats you're problem not ours...Trust me i work at an Acura dealer.......So i wouldnt waste the time ,just go trade your car in for a lumina or somethin..... Then you'll have day time runnin lights...... :thefinger then watch me spank you from light to light and get more girls!!!!

I have a 03 Acura TL-S that is the worst riding car that I have ever owned. Why did Acura error on the side of hangling and continue to promote this car as a "near luxury car". I am so disappointed with the ride quality that I have written to Acura. (Want to see a copy of my letter, e-mail me at <pls241@earthlink.net>. Think about a "near luxury car" with no compass. no headlight auto on, no daylight running lights, only a 4 way adjustable passenger seat, cup holders for small cups only, a lumbar adjustment that is ineffective, hard, really hard seats and stiff suspension. I bought the car for the 260HP engine and that the sales literature promoted comfort and luxuty. What a great combination. So I thought. Sorry, Acura missed the mark. My 1999 Camaro z28 has more comfort then this car. Acura in my opinion has created a $32,000 tank. Anyone else feel the same way? I am meeting with a Acura rep on the 6th of August and would appreciate any supporting comments.
Paul03
:thefinger :thefinger
Old 07-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
WTF????? thats all i have to say.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:40 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Paul03,

First of all, I have to agree that the cup holder seem to be small.... but unless you are drinking with 7-11 Jumbo cups, it shouldn't be a problem....and "4-Way" passenger seat is a let down....but it's how Honda keeps the costs down and make our TL/TLS a bargain....

The ride of TLS is not harsh at all.... have you ride in a $75K E55 AMG?? Talk about harsh suspension....but I have to agree that F-Body, when driven on flat, well paved HWY, is very comfortable.... but once the road gets ugly.... it's one bumpy ride.....

Also, since your car is fairly new, why not drive it for couple months and see... the suspension should settle down and doesn't ride as harsh(well, at least, I feel that my TLS suspension isn't as firm as before.... maybe I got used to it... )

Anyways, good luck with your TLS.....

Andy Kuo
Old 07-30-2002, 10:10 PM
Racer

Paul, You sound like a total idiot. Camaro, Olds..Well that answers alot of questions about you, you would rather have a piece of crap GM over an Acura Please go back to whatever hole you crawled from, because your making me ill by gloating about GM so much.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:14 PM
DHB
Instructor

This post somehow feels a little disingenuous but I may be all wrong. The quick critism of the mods (maybe deserved) seemed familiar somehow. Probably not related but what was our buddy BigPimpin's base i.p. address again?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:02 AM

Has he even replied back since his inital post? People do drugs, apparently, he is one of them.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Paul,

You're just use to the cloud ride and plush seats of an American car. I was surprised the first time I drove a Japanese car. You should have test driven a Cadillac Seville STS or similar (maybe the 3.5RL). Sure my Dodge Daytona Z's seats were more comfortable and plush, but I'll get 300K+ miles out of the TL.

I'm sure if you want to get rid of it...there are plenty of people here that will take it.

Good luck and give it a little time,
Tony
Old 07-31-2002, 02:39 AM
Pro

Don't flame on him that much guys...in his opinion he thinks it's the "worst car" he has driven. And maybe it's the worst car he has driven. TL-S vs. Camero. The reason he's not replying is becuase you guys scared him away. I do admit the TL-S is not the most smoothest car i've drove in, but i'm not saying it's the roughest. My gf has a 92 SC400, and yes it's a sports coupe...and it is smoother on the freeway then my 02 TL-S. Don't flame on me because i said that. I drive my moms 99 TL-P sometimes, and for some reason on the freeway it seems more "bouncy" than the TL-S; but the handling on the TL-S is way much better then the TL-P. I guess it's just the crappy California roads...freaking pot holes everywhere....contruction 12 months a year...damn...it seems to never end, bumper to bumper traffic everyday, people who can't drive, people who drive while talking on their cell phones, people who drive with no insurance...i swear California is the worst place to be driving.

Geez...32K, you get what u pay for....it's "near luxury" , so you get nearly big enough cup holders. heheh The reason why there is no compass is because that encourages you to by the NAVI equip car, no DRL because it saves honda $10 off relays. (you should've bought the Canadian Model which has DRL) 4 way adj. pass. seat because Honda only thinks the person who paid drives the car should be comfortable, lumber support which is ineffective which i agree.

The ONE thing that i would like to see Honda/Acura do is put REAR HEAD REST on their cars...even freaking toyota camry have them...I sit in the back seat sometimes and my freaking neck hurts. Raise the price by $100, and stick some rear head rest on.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:14 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

I think that's why they have test drives for people before they actually make their purchase....
Old 07-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Someone close this thread....Please.....

Is this guy for real??
Old 07-31-2002, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
i swear California is the worst place to be driving.
haha you shud try drivin somewhere like taiwan!
Old 07-31-2002, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

The ONE thing that i would like to see Honda/Acura do is put REAR HEAD REST on their cars...even freaking toyota camry have them...I sit in the back seat sometimes and my freaking neck hurts. Raise the price by $100, and stick some rear head rest on.
don't worry, the next gen tl will have them. how do i know? cuz the '03 accord has them.
but then people will complain that the rear head rests block the view of the rear windshield. i hate that. they finally get something and then complain about it.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:15 PM
Racer

i swear California is the worst place to be driving.
California sucks because people are putting on lipstick, or shaving, or talking on their cellphone or playing bocce ball when driving 65 MPH with 2 ft. between bumpers.
New York sucks because everyone is tring to get to the same place, no one lets anyone in anywhere, and everyone drives so aggressively. You have to drive like a **** just to keep up with the pack and not get hit.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:58 PM
10th Gear

Wink

It's sad to hear someone going through buyer's remorse. It is a psychological symptom defined by bashing and bantering at an inanimate object resulting from a humanistic decision.

Paul03 ... Let us all know how your meeting went with the Acura rep. There are no cars out there without problems. That is why all businesses have a customer service department. The complaint has to be legitimate and you can't use ignorance or marketing ploy as excuses to bash a car.

If you want total comfort, buy yourself a top-graded italian leather chair and enjoy it at home.

If you want a bigger cup holder, buy a 48 quart cooler.

And why the hell do you need to adjust your seat so much? You must be a chick magnet.

The TL is the best-valued sport luxury sedan out on the market. The resale value on an Asian import vs. European import and Nissan is not comparable. The maintenance cost over 5 years is a huge unfavorable disparity for European imports and Nissan.

If after all of this, you still want to settle for the G35 or waste the extra Gs on the bimmer, just remember that my TL has smoked all those cars!
Old 07-31-2002, 05:59 PM
STi
Racer

i cant believe i'm seeing this kind of thread here
i expect that in supercars.net but not here
i'm almost too sure that he does not own the TL, or driven z28 or olds or whatever, he probably doesn't even have his license, he obviously just want to stir something up, like some other members here do
we shouldn't pay attention to him, because he's too "intelligent" for us, too bad we'll never figure out how he can be so smart!
Old 07-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

hey paul don't buy a car without a test drive! sorry to hear about your problems but maybee your blowing it out of purportion a little. just my opinion, if ya don't like it:thefinger
Old 07-31-2002, 08:27 PM
5th Gear

Well, after 60+ post this is how I see the Acura TL Forum.
20% have provided post that seem sincere, intelligent and well meaning.
To you I say thanks.
10% are from people that think they know everything.
To you I say, sorry, you came up short. Knowledge is not your forte.
The balance (that’s 70%) just happen to be flaming idiots that have one
finger up their you know what and the other in their mouth waiting for
someone to say change. I consider this group PB’s with IQ’s to match.
(That’s PEA BRAINS) you know like small.
To you I apologize for making it so easy for you to show your ignorance.
Let’s end this unfortunate experience by saying that I am as disappointed
with the Acura TL Forum as I am with my Acura.
It’s now time for the 70% to C H A N G E fingers.
Long live the Camaro
Old 07-31-2002, 09:14 PM
STi
Racer

haha, aren't you showing your ignorance as well?
too many people think american cars are all that, lol
i don't dislike them, but they're not the best cars either, so live with that
american cars do come up short on technology, their gear box have long throw and audi-like crispness (meaning soft as butter) while you're also rowing through very spaced apart gears, thank god the engines' torque can compensate that, but it just blows when you rev over 5k where the power starts to rapidly decrease
seats are uncomfortable and wrongly shaped, and quality is just sub-par, the ride quality is poor and rattles are a norm, handling is not the best while the safety isn't that great either

i only consider two american cars that are less of that and more of refined sports cars, the viper and the corvette, but when you compare with the competitors from the rest of the world, still, you cannot find refinement, yes they may be cheap, but there's a reason
Old 07-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Dr. TLS

Long live the Camaro
The 60+ posts have scared me off so I didn't bother reading it all. But isn't the Camaro going to be discontinued?
Old 07-31-2002, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Long live the Camaro
yeah well, youre not too intelligent yourself there buddy. if you had an IQ over 75, you would have made a sounder decision on your car. and insulting people's IQs and such. well, thats just a throwback to the 3rd grade. so piss off. go drive your camaro, i hope your acura dealer screws you and you have to drive the TL-S forever as a punishment. i dont care if you think i;m an imbecile. im not going to have my feelings hurt online. :o
Old 08-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Intermediate

We have daytime running lights up here in Canada eh, why dont you move up here? everything has DRLs.... even the Toyota Echo
Old 08-01-2002, 09:34 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Paul I think a TLP would be good for you or even better a 03 Maxima GLE which offers the power of the TLS and ride of the TLP. You can also get the Nav and a compass, auto on, off headlights, and a heated steering wheel on the 03 Maxima.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Long live the Camaro

Ahh, well, there you have it... he has 4 posts, none intelligent, and as far as I'm concerned (and other's here seem to agree), this guy is a fire-starter and does not even own the car.... hopefully this thread will be closed soon....
Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro

Long live the Camaro, in the junk yard.

Long live the Camaro
Old 08-01-2002, 11:48 AM
O.G.

Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
Long live the Camaro, in the yunk yard.

:yack: camaro
Old 08-01-2002, 12:01 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this has almost as many posts as that Bimmher guys post had. All you old timers remember bimmher right?
Old 08-01-2002, 07:25 PM
...and then there was One

Well, after 60+ post this is how I see the Acura TL Forum.
20% have provided post that seem sincere, intelligent and well meaning.
To you I say thanks.
10% are from people that think they know everything.
To you I say, sorry, you came up short. Knowledge is not your forte.
The balance (that’s 70%) just happen to be flaming idiots
I sure hope I'm in that top 10%, or my feelings will be hurt.
Listen, dumb a s s
Go read Edmonds, Motor Trend, Autoweek, Consumer Reports, etc... See how well they like the TL-S, and then pull the cucumber out of your bung hole. Or is your arse so fat that you can't fit into the seat? And your baby bottle doesn't fit in the cup holder? It's a CUP holder, not a pony keg holder. Do you not know north from south? The sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. EVERY DAY. If your Camaro was so nice ... why were you looking for another car? Go back to your trailer park and play with your daddy's shotgun (loaded, I hope).
I feel better now.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I consider this group PB’s with IQ’s to match.
(That’s PEA BRAINS) you know like small.
Long live the Camaro
This coming from the guy who claims he just spent over $30k on a car, and is unhappy with the stock ride, and stock features. Things which are all readily apparent, and which anyone who buys a car ususally checks before they buy the car. Thanks for the input on our IQ's, but it seems like you are not one to be the best judge of that.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a response to your argument about the cup holder not holding bigger cups.....

I borrowed my friends Jaguar XK8 today (far more luxury and expensive than the TL) and it would not fit a 'large' cup from McDonalds either....not that it makes a difference, but it goes to show how weak that argument was. Just my .02
Old 08-06-2002, 04:03 PM
Instructor

I test drove both the P and S before making the decision, and although I liked the ride of the P, I loved the tightness and power of S, and thought the extra cash was worth it...

It's people like Paul03 who complains to Acrua about the ride of the S that causes auto manufacturers to make tame, lame and boring cars and try to sell them as sport sedans... You can't have great handling with a good ride at this price... you should have bought a 540...
Old 08-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Turn

I think Paul has the right to vent also. Most of you are pretty fast on the uptake to flame the unfortunate guy.

I went to purchase a 2003 Type-S myself because I wanted the power and beauty of the car. When my wife, child and I took the TL for a test drive, I knew immediately that this wasn’t the car for me. The harsh ride had my wife and kid-screaming foul from the start. I opted for the TLP instead, installed some Type-S wheels, and as such, I'm a happy TL owner.

As we all know, he should have figured all of this stuff out during the test ride, but he didn't. I find his post to be appropriate and not out of line at all.

Maybe if we look at this car with a critical eye, we can fix some of the shortcomings of the TL.

Did I say shortcomings? Shame on me,

Mike Smeezy

35% Full Tint
Front Nose Bra
3” Exhaust Tips
17” Type-S Rims
Rear Deck Spoiler
H&R Sport Springs
Anthracite 2003 TL
Old 08-07-2002, 08:28 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Mike, it's nice to know that I am not the only one that feels the TL-S has a harsh ride. Unfortunately, I thought I could live with the ride just to have the HP. I was wrong for the same reason that you expressed, family objections. All the other objections like cup holder size, compass etc were also things I knew were wrong going into the deal, but I wanted that 260HP. Expensive mistake, yes, but the things I listed as shortcomings are still shortcomings and the TL-S is far from a perfect car. Sure I love the performance and the handling but the ride is totally unacceptable from my prospective. You are definately in the 20% intelligent group. Thanks again.
Paul03
Old 08-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Red face

so basically, if someone agrees with you, they are "intelligent" and if they dont, they are an idiot. okay!

Quick Reply: Acurs Tl-s Worst Riding Car