Acura TL TCS my A$$!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 07:55 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Acura TL TCS my A$$!

TCS is Bull Shit! It doesn't work. I thought Traction Control System was suppose to do something other than just tell you that you're slipping. It don't do shit for you except tell you. If you gun it while TCS is going off you still can redline, no fuel cutoff or nothing. ACURA POS!!!!!! You can flame me all you want but our TCS is a POS! I almost wrecked 5 times within 40 minutes cuz our TCS SUCKS!!!!!! Unlike other real TCS systems our TL shits don't do shit except tell you that you're slipping. Real TCS systems actually do something like cut off the gas or something. Our TL will let you redline the hell out of your car and yes your TCS light will be on constantly, but what's the point cuz you'll hit something anyways. BTW I didn't wreck, and no I'm not grateful but bitter that I feel that ACURA mislead me!
Old 02-22-2001, 07:59 PM

What happened anyways? Were you driving in the snow?
Old 02-22-2001, 08:05 PM

Ack, don't sound good. My friend just bought the Infinity SUV and said his TCS kicks ass.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

AC, i too understand how you feel. My nice and easy 20 minute commute home from work took 2 hours!!! TCS did $hit for me, except annoy me cuz that damn light was on! Glad to hear you didnt wreck your TL. Oh, and while im on this rant, STOCK TIRES SUCK BIG TIME IN THE SNOW!!!! sorry about that, im finished now.

TC

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
  • Inspire tailights
  • Weapon-R hyper intake
  • Burlwood shift knob
  • Razo carbon fiber pedals
  • Inspire fog light switch (no fogs yet)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by NBP TL on February 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-22-2001, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Do u know our TCS only work under 25 mph.It will brake and cut off fuel.If u drive in snow u can feel TCS working.Cause i ran up canada in christmas & driver my 99 TL so i know how it feel.but why they work in low speed?No offense at all.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptect springs
Old 02-22-2001, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

i should say my friend 99 TL.

------------------
stock spoiler
25% Tint/Mud guards/
Comptect springs
Old 02-22-2001, 08:34 PM
AC
Drifting

Thumbs down

Originally posted by VTEC:
Do u know our TCS only work under 25 mph.It will brake and cut off fuel.If u drive in snow u can feel TCS working.Cause i ran up canada in christmas & driver my 99 TL so i know how it feel.but why they work in low speed?No offense at all.

No offense, my TCS didn't didn't work even under 25mph. It just lighted my TCS light.

POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 02-22-2001, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

May be u can try turn off ur TCS,and floor it in snow. u will c what TCS does for u.
NO OFFENSE!!!

------------------
stock spoiler
25% Tint/Mud guards/
Comptect springs
Old 02-22-2001, 08:41 PM
AC
Drifting

ACURA lied!!!!!!!! Our TCS doesn't even cut off any fuel Bull Sh!t. All it does is light up TS (to tell you you're slipping) and still the RPM keeps going up and up. Maybe they should take a lesson from the Germans. I guess I can't B!tch for standard TCS on a 30K car, "what did you expect for that kind of $"

HONDA-ACURA Bastards. I bet no one really tested this shit out. They all assumed "hey it's got TCS so I guess it will keep me from slipping" - MY A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2001, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup.i agree.i did try BMW 00 323i in snow.Those DSC is really working u can hear ABS kick in & keep in low rpm.So i think i will get a BMW after 2 or 3 years.

------------------
stock spoiler
25% Tint/Mud guards/
Comptect springs
Old 02-22-2001, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

You may all be right about the TCS conspiracy. I think it gives the driver a false sense of security when driving in snow. You see when that light goes on, your thinking, yeah, that's it kicking in. If I didn't have it, I would be all over the road. Not sure about that.

My wife drives a Toyota 4runner and when you put that truck into 4 wheel drive you can feel everything overall get heavier and more secure. It's great! That is the way to drive in snow. But there must be some cars out there like BMW & LEXUS that have a great TCS in the snow.
Old 02-22-2001, 08:54 PM

I can't comment on the TCS since I don't have one yet, but the car can't be that bad in the snow. I have a Nissan Sentra with 14" tires that are slightly wider than bicycle tires and even I can manage to drive home 40 miles in blizzard conditions without much trouble. The TL must handle alot better than what I have now anyways.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I noticed the same thing when I got my car after boroowing my Mother's E320. That would go NOWHERE when you gunned it in snow. THAT felt safe. The TL just redirects the power but that's it. No fuel cut-off. Well, I've made it two years w/o caring so no need for me to start now. I just learned to cope with it.
Old 02-22-2001, 09:11 PM
Drifting

yeah... go nowhere is right... there was this morning, we had heavy snow, but I had to go out, then I was stuck on this small hill in my neighbor hood... had to back up on to my driveway and go the other way, it was horrible... and yeah, the TCS just tells you the tires are slipping, there was this time I was going about maybe 10 MPH while the speedometer reads 65 MPH in my neighbor hood...

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 02-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Pro

I don't know how ignorant, drivers of cars can be, even months after driving the car....The TCS system in the TL is a low-speed Traction control system....there is no fuel cut-off ....there is some brake application on the slipping wheel thus effectively transferring power to the wheel with grip....pretty rudimentary system ....kindly read your owner's manual before exploding with such discoveries, on such forums, months after owning the car...competitors of the 3.2TL like the Lexus ES300 also, has such a TCS....

The TCS present in the Acura 3.5RL is an all-speed version that activates at all-speeds and conditions....That is the one, that has fuel cut-off and such, to bring the car in line, if slippage occurs....The TCS present in the 3.2CL-s is an all-speed version (similar to the 3.5RL).

Also, since a lot of people seem un-aware, the ABS of the 3.2TL is a 3-channel ABS (with 4-wheel speed sensors) while the ABS of the 3.2CL-s and the 3.5RL are 4-channel systems (with 4-wheel speed sensors).

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 02-22-2001, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hunter001:
I don't know how ignorant, drivers of cars can be, even months after driving the car....The TCS system in the TL is a low-speed Traction control system....there is no fuel cut-off ....there is some brake application on the slipping wheel thus effectively transferring power to the wheel with grip....pretty rudimentary system ....kindly read your owner's manual before exploding with such discoveries, on such forums, months after owning the car...competitors of the 3.2TL like the Lexus ES300 also, has such a TCS....

The TCS present in the Acura 3.5RL is an all-speed version that activates at all-speeds and conditions....That is the one, that has fuel cut-off and such, to bring the car in line, if slippage occurs....The TCS present in the 3.2CL-s is an all-speed version (similar to the 3.5RL).

Also, since a lot of people seem un-aware, the ABS of the 3.2TL is a 3-channel ABS (with 4-wheel speed sensors) while the ABS of the 3.2CL-s and the 3.5RL are 4-channel systems (with 4-wheel speed sensors).

That is call VSA in RL.CL Type-S.VSA is wokr with TCS.so why why why why why why why no all-speed TCS or VSA on our TL's.Is it the way ACURA keep low cost on TL.

------------------
stock spoiler
25% Tint/Mud guards/
Comptect springs
Old 02-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by VTEC:
That is call VSA in RL.CL Type-S.VSA is wokr with TCS.so why why why why why why why no all-speed TCS or VSA on our TL's.Is it the way ACURA keep low cost on TL.
Actually, the VSA is totally different from the TCS of the RL and the CL-s....VSA also uses the brakes of the car to bring the car back in line when the driver gets too enthusiastic on curvy roads....

Actually, these low-speed traction control systems are also found on a lot of other cars including certain Volvos....

Of course, cost is a consideration while providing equipment in cars....just be aware of the cars' strengths and weaknesses and you are all set...

just my 2c

------------------
Old 02-22-2001, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
AC, I feel you man... I just test drove the BMW today. It snowed in Toronto. I was very happy with the BMW 5speed, much better than the Audi. And the TCS on the BMW is WAY BETTER!!!! I tried the 320i since their 325 and 330 don't have all season tires on them. I downshifted, and gun it. I could see the DSC light flashed. The Acura will do no shit above 40km/h......

But honestly, after I tried the Audi and the BMW. I like the TL even MORE!!! I don't know why... I loved, then I hated it, and now I fall in love with it again... but yes.. the TCS sucks on the TL. You are right....
Old 02-22-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro

Originally posted by AC:
TCS is Bull Shit! It doesn't work. I thought Traction Control System was suppose to do something other than just tell you that you're slipping. It don't do shit for you except tell you. If you gun it while TCS is going off you still can redline, no fuel cutoff or nothing. ACURA POS!!!!!! You can flame me all you want but our TCS is a POS! I almost wrecked 5 times within 40 minutes cuz our TCS SUCKS!!!!!! Unlike other real TCS systems our TL shits don't do shit except tell you that you're slipping. Real TCS systems actually do something like cut off the gas or something. Our TL will let you redline the hell out of your car and yes your TCS light will be on constantly, but what's the point cuz you'll hit something anyways. BTW I didn't wreck, and no I'm not grateful but bitter that I feel that ACURA mislead me!
Well , sometimes we have to just realize , how much can you expect from a value deal .. , no offense to fellow TL owners ..

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up sometime in the future..
Old 02-22-2001, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Angry

Just to reiterate, nowhere does Acura claim that TCS includes any sort of throttle-limiting or fuel-cutout device. It simply uses the front brakes to reduce wheelspin under 25MPH. If you heard otherwise you heard wrong, but you certainly didn't hear it from Acura.

Most of these "shocking revelations" are due to people not understanding how the systems work to begin with. If that pisses you off -- oh well. Learn how this stuff works before you go off on a rant.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 02-22-2001, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

That's so FUKKING nice that the TCS light come on to let you know that your skidding and perhaps skidding yourself into FUKKING accident, without help from our supposedly "TCS". >=\
Old 02-22-2001, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

The TCS on our TL works by applying one or both front brakes to control wheelspin.This works at speeds of 25MPH or below.
It might be your tires thats why I put on winter tires.I finaly got to use them today in the snow. We had temps in the lower 50s yesterday.I thought we would not have any real snow before I took the tires off for this year. I had no problem last year the car was just about a month old before we had snow. The tires had plenty of tread on them.
Remember all them 4WD are running around with tires they keep on all year.
Its the tires that contact the road first.
I know I get better traction & control with my snow/ice tires on.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 02-22-2001, 10:20 PM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by RAdams:
Just to reiterate, nowhere does Acura claim that TCS includes any sort of throttle-limiting or fuel-cutout device. It simply uses the front brakes to reduce wheelspin under 25MPH. If you heard otherwise you heard wrong, but you certainly didn't hear it from Acura.

Most of these "shocking revelations" are due to people not understanding how the systems work to begin with. If that pisses you off -- oh well. Learn how this stuff works before you go off on a rant.

I second that one 100 percent !!!

------------------
Old 02-22-2001, 10:52 PM
Drifting

I'd have to agree, TCS sucks ball$!!

It's snowing here and I don't dare take my car out of the garage. This is the WORST car I've ever had in the snow. I went to dinner with my friend in his 99TL and he was saying how much better his tires were than the stock ones he dumped yet when it came down to it, he went NOWHERE in the snow too. He was cursing up and down the TCS because it was SO sensitive that the car just sat in the middle of the intersection. Until he turned TCS off, the car wouldn't move.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
* Factory Spoiler & CD Changer
* Burlwood Shift Knob
* 35% Tint
* Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging From Trunk
* Removed Front Plate Holder
* Comptech Parts In My Basement!!
[Waiting For Headers (Feb 28th)]
Old 02-22-2001, 11:52 PM
Ain't No Other...

you wouldnt need TCS if you had some driving skillz.......

Let the wars begin.....No Offense!
Old 02-23-2001, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I agree that skill is really important. However, we are not driving a racecar or something like the Vette or M3. We want a car that is easy to drive or at least will help you when you do make a mistake. Please note that some racecars DO have traction control system. The F1 will be using it later on this season, and HAVE been using TCS one way or the other. I know it's illegal if you look at the FIA rules, but they did! I can explain how they did it simply if any of you are interested.

The point AC was trying to make is not whether we need tracion control or not but how good is the TCS on our car. I must say that IT REALLY SUCKS. TL got a Bimmer 540, and I have just took a Bimmer out for a spin in snow. Man... they are like night and days. Basically the BMW got more sensors and take more things into consideration.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro

we got what we paid for (not what some people THOUGhT they were paying for). While our TCS works ok with rain and wet and only at slow speeds, I must agree that a more sophisticated system would work better in the snow. Of course that does cost a bit more... That being said, it then becomes the driver's responsibility to respond to these limitations. Ultimately, its the driver, not just the car.

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Axiss MetalMasterPads-Crossdrilled Rotors
-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

Y2k S2K Honda Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers...
Old 02-23-2001, 07:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,194 Posts
The TCS on a 30k car doesn't have fuel cutoff? WTF?!?! The Saturn (18k new) I'm getting rid of has fuel cutoff!!
Old 02-23-2001, 08:32 AM

I have TCS in both my Acura TL and 2001 Accord Coupe. I have to say that without TCS, I would have had to bought winter tires. Just drive carefully and safely, that's all you should be doing in winter anyhow.

I don't see how any kind of traction control is going to save a 3000+ pound car from going out of control if you are going at 80mph+ in slippery conditions.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

Apparently the stock TL tires suck in the snow. No traction control system can you give you traction if your tires suck. Don't blame the TCS -- it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. If the tires aren't up to the task, you can have all the braking, throttle-limiting and black magic you want -- it won't do you any good. I suspect 99% of your "problems" could be solved with winter tires.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
Old 02-23-2001, 08:46 AM
Racer

AC, take it easy dude. I'm not sure what you were doing with your TL nor where you were driving it, but let me tell you this. Yesterday, I drove over 95 miles during the storm. I-95, and ALL major roads in Philly aea were f...ed. If it wasn't for TCS, I wouldn't get anywhere. My TCS works by applying brakes to wheels that slip. While other front drivers where spining their wheels, I was just gasing it and there I went... perhaps you should visit your friendly Acura dealer and check your TCS. Oh, just don't get mad at me.

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Pawel on February 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-23-2001, 08:46 AM
Banned

Lightbulb

A friend of mine has a VW Passat GLX and with his TCS when he tried going up a show covered hill he couldn't move an inch... when he switched it off he was fine... so my point is it IS the driving skills not the electronics in your car that help you... LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!!

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-23-2001, 08:57 AM
Racer

Red face

Ohh yeah. One more thing I want to add to this whole discussion. The stock tires suck big dick. I'm getting bigger ones this summer.

------------------

Old 02-23-2001, 10:05 AM
AC
Drifting

For all you that wondered what I was doing...well it snowed down here and I decided to try out the TCS in my neighborhood. And NO, I wasn't driving like a madman on the roads as it was snowing, I think we all have more common sense than that.

I wanted to see how well the TCS worked cuz my wife complained how "shitty" the TL was in the snow compared to the 98 Accord V6 Coupe (no TCS). I was like impossible the TL has TCS. I was going like 5mph and gunned it and the TCS light came on and my speedo read 50-52mph, I was like WTF.

Yeah some of you are right, I didn't read my manual and I guess I just assumed that TCS would cut off the fuel or something in that nature, but I learned the hard way. I agree 100% that driving skill will come into play when driving in the snow. I sure miss the hand brakes cuz I normally use that to steer in the snow if I need to make a sharp turn

For all of you that replied to this post...thanx!

BTW, you have to admit...OUR TCS STILL SUCKS A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2001, 10:14 AM

Question

I don't own a TL yet, but seriously considering one...

I thought I read somewhere here that the TCS isn't ON unless the light is OFF, and that it FLASHES when activated. Hence, if the light is ON all the time, the TCS is OFF.

Maybe someone can set me straight (be gentle!)

Old 02-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Pro

I drove home yesterday, after the snowstorm in NJ, and could see cars slipping and sliding (including an Accord, Mitsubishi Eclipse and BMW 528i)...there was even a multi-car/van pileup on Route 28, when some moron felt he wanted to be Mario Andretti in the snow......the TL kept going, never stopping or sliding. I could see the TCS light blinking off and on, but never could feel any perceptible difference...basically the car kept going even in slush and snow that was about 4 inches deep. Of course, I was also driving pretty slowly...the BMW 528i ahead of me was also driving very slowly, but I could see it sliding every step of the way with the back-end of the car being extremely squirelly and dangerous....I kept a lot of distance between the BMW and myself....I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in that BMW in this weather...that BMW would certainly not have made it up my driveway yesterday....

BTW, my tires are Michelin Pilots XGT-Z4 Ultra-high performance all-seasons, in the 225/55-ZR-16 size......

------------------
Old 02-23-2001, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

"Acura doesn't claim that TCS includes any sort of throttle-limiting or fuel-cutout device. It simply uses the front breaks to reduce wheelspin under 25mph"

My as well say TCS = Traction Crap System

what good is TCS under 25mph? hewl i'm sure most everyone here drives faster then 25mph, even under snow or rain conditions.. i'm sure no one is driving 25mph on the freeway or feeder for that matter when its snowing or raining, just so that they may take advantage of our "TCS", its unrealistic. Yea acura says that it doesn't use any of those TCS related devices.. then why have it or say it has it? so it may sounds like were getting more options and safety? i think acura mislead many us and gave us a false sense of secutiry about their TCS, perhaps the new TL-s will have a better TCS.

my 2 cents

------------------
00' Acura 3.2TL Nighthawk Black Pearl
- 18's Lowenharts LGM Chrome (3 piece)
- 225/40 NT555
- Factory Kit
- Factory Spoiler
- ordered Apexi N1 WS coilovers =D ABOUT TIME!
Tu
Old 02-23-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro

Originally posted by v_i_s_i_o_n:
perhaps the new TL-s will have a better TCS.

my 2 cents

I suppose you did not read the previous posts well.....

The Acura CL-s (on which the TL-s is based) and the Acura 3.5RL have got ALL-SPEED TCS, that works in all speeds and conditions.......they also have 4-channel Anti-lock braking systems (ABS) with 4-wheel speed sensors (the regular TL has 3-channel ABS with 4-wheel speed sensors), in addition to VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist).....so if you feel you need all of those, to feel safe on the road, then you should go for the TL-s....

As for myself, I drive according to road conditions, and rarely if ever, will have the need for such electronic policemen...what is already present in the TL is plenty enough for me...

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by hunter001 on February 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-23-2001, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally posted by v_i_s_i_o_n:
"Acura doesn't claim that TCS includes any sort of throttle-limiting or fuel-cutout device. It simply uses the front breaks to reduce wheelspin under 25mph"

My as well say TCS = Traction Crap System

what good is TCS under 25mph? hewl i'm sure most everyone here drives faster then 25mph, even under snow or rain conditions.. i'm sure no one is driving 25mph on the freeway or feeder for that matter when its snowing or raining, just so that they may take advantage of our "TCS", its unrealistic. Yea acura says that it doesn't use any of those TCS related devices.. then why have it or say it has it? so it may sounds like were getting more options and safety? i think acura mislead many us and gave us a false sense of secutiry about their TCS, perhaps the new TL-s will have a better TCS.

my 2 cents

Uhhhh ok. The TCS's job is to help you start driving in low friction situations(snow, ice), not helping you do NASCAR style driving in bad weather conditions.
Now, this perhaps will sound rude, but... if you guys realy think is it worthless, happiness is one buttom touch away....
And if someone is looking for good traction vehicle, get yourself a tank...

------------------

Old 02-23-2001, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now I know why I nearly killed myself last night.

BTW, the VSC system on lexus works GREAT.

Can't wait to see how my 530i would do in raing soon!!!!

Quick Reply: Acura TL TCS my A$$!