Acura TL puts the smack down on a Modded Integra TYPE -R!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 02:53 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Acura TL puts the smack down on a Modded Integra TYPE -R!

OK guys before you tell me it is not so i assure this is 100% true! i couldent belive it myself:

I was headed north on powers on my way to denver. i was stopped at the light at dublin when i see an integra behind me with hyper blue fake HID's so i know its a kid. when the light went green i got in front of the car to my left because most people on north powers always turn west on woodman. so i moved over and waited for him to gun it and try to pass me. well that is exactly what he did and by the time i looked over and saw he was punching it. i dident have enough time to make up the speed defference and catch him so he got past me and cut in front to make the left. so after we turn onto woodman he takes off as expected and i punch it after him. i hit 2nd gear and started catching up but there was a car in his lane so he moves over and cuts in front of me. then he hits the flashers and i am like WTF! we werent even really racing since i was behind and was gaining until he cut me off. ( hate when rice boys do that!! and think they already won without a fair race!) anyway i finally got ahead of him in the other lane due to traffic. we were now going up the hill right after Austin bluffs and i slowed to match his speed and then gunned it and he couldent really race because there was a car in front of him but after i got ahead i did the flashers thing to him! (HA HA!) i knew it was on now and he was left behind in traffic so i slowed so he could see me turn onto union north. Hooray! he took the bait! and before i knew it we were lined up at a red light at brirargate and union. of course as he rolls to a stop he revved to like 7k RPM and that is when i noticed it was a 2000 type R it was black.

now for the fun part! as the light is ready to change he revved it up to launch and when we got the green he spun and while he was trying to get traction i got almost a full car on him. he definitly had some mods because that thing was hella loud! at least I,E anyway as i went thouugh 1st i was fully expecting him to take me in 2nd NOT! he and i got up to about 70 and he gave up! i couldent belive it! so i gave him the flashers! HA HA! then we wind up at the next light and this time he is really revving and same results i still waxed him! not by a lot but he was definitly not the victor in either race i couldent really watch how far back behind my door he was because i had to watch the road but at no point did i ever see him pulling on me and he gave up! what a puss! anyway after i beat him the 2nd time i finally slow down and he comes flying past me with his flashers going what a dumb ass! sore looser! i tried to pull up to him at research but he took off and dident want to chat. i wonder why? it just proves once again there is no replacement for displacement! now after getting beat by a family sedan he will be at the local shop getting SC turbo or no2! ha ha ha!

BTW i was by myself and had a 1/2 tank.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 01-21-2001, 06:06 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. Not trying to diss, but sounds like this dude does not know how to drive the TypeR. Personally, if I was driving the TypeR I don't think I'd ever lose to a stock TL.

With all my mods, I barely beat my friend's 98 TypeR. Those things are a rocket.

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 01-21-2001, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Rememba, I still stand with my word. It's not the car, it's the driver!

Attn: All guests browsing this board:
We at Acura-TL.com don't encourage street racing...
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 01-21-2001, 07:02 PM
AC
Drifting

Cool

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
Rememba,
Attn: All guests browsing this board:
We at Acura-TL.com don't encourage street racing...
Ed

Sure!

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 01-21-2001, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Type-R is slower than a TL to begin with at least it's slower than a 00 or 01 TL with the five speed auto. (Integra Type-R 0-60 in 7.2, TL 6.9 in a mag I saw recently.)

The Integra is for turning, not drag racing anyways. He'd toast us in the twisties...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 01-22-2001, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Congrats, preludeshfan. Keep up the good work, and make sure you keep hunting down those damn IS 300s.

Damn, 7.2 0-60, I thought the Type R was faster than that.

------------------
"Man thinks that, they own things And man sits high upon thrones
When you die tell me what the fvck you own
When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
As food for worms or fossils trapped in stone."
Old 01-22-2001, 12:32 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
Congrats, preludeshfan. Keep up the good work, and make sure you keep hunting down those damn IS 300s.

Damn, 7.2 0-60, I thought the Type R was faster than that.

I don't really rely on mag numbers. I saw one mag 0-60 6.1 and 1/4 14.7

I raced my friend's 98 TypeR and he'll take a stock TL any day. Again, depends on the driver.

Old 01-22-2001, 01:42 AM
Pro

Cool

The driver definately makes a big difference. I've heard that certain mods on the Type-R could actually be bad in terms of performance. Maybe this happened w/ his car! Or else, maybe it was a base integra with a big wing, replica wheels and Type-R stickers!
Old 01-22-2001, 06:53 AM
Drifting

Ability to drive a stick is probably most important. Take-off, working the clutch, and shifting points can make or break you.
Old 01-22-2001, 07:32 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
working the clutch, and shifting points can make or break you.

Aren't you all glad we have automatic?

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 01-22-2001, 08:07 AM
Racer

Well i could agree with you about the mods. personally i think on that car especially putting IHE on might actually loose power but oh well that is fine that just makes it better for the guy to think he just spent all that cash on mods and he still gets an ass whooping from a 4 door luxary sedan! i also called the sales guy here that sold me my tl as he is a rice boy himself and knows a lot of the ricers in town. he confirmed that he knew the kid and told me his mommy bought the car for him. his list of mods include AEM CAI and Exhaust with a hollowed out cat. but it is in fact a type R.

------------------

Old 01-22-2001, 12:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Some kids also put in the widest tyres their Type-R's can possible fit, without knowing that their cars generate little torque. The traction from the tyres is just too much for the 1.8L engine to handle, and this will hurt the take off performance. But they will sure raise hell on twisty roads.
Old 01-22-2001, 04:54 PM

congrats on your victory. about flashing the hazards- it is not always used to signal a victory, as you seemed rather upset at, but rather as a signal to race and even as a parting gesture after a race.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:16 PM
Racer

never the less if you do it to signal to the other guy "thanks for the race" or "I won" the fact that he did it when we werent really racing with me behind and gaining in the other lane it is pretty stupid to signal "good race" when we werent racing or signal "i won" when we dident even start side by side and had just rounded a corner from another street. i think it was a little premature to call it a win. and a little foolish to do it when you started in the lead to begin with.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:25 PM
Pro

CONGRATZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE KILL, good driver or not!

------------------
tann@808-'00 TL
non-Navi(Doesn't work in Hawaii)

Factory body kit & Wing, 19" Racing Hart C-5's,
Nitto 555's, CompTech Springs, CompTech Exhaust,
CompTech Headers, Inspire Taillights, NOS(70 shot),
AEM CAI, Alpine 8080, TL rear door handles in front,
5% + 30% tints,30% front windshield.

tann@pixi.com
Old 01-22-2001, 05:32 PM

sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. people use ambers instigate or start races too. sometimes when they flash them, it means .."let's race"
Old 01-22-2001, 09:00 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

congradulations man!!! the damn integras give me hell, n maryland the rice boys sware they are japanese ferraris soon as i get on the beltway, they are always startin some sh@t!.never raced a typr R, however have punked many other ones.
Old 01-22-2001, 09:43 PM
Advanced

People have said it before, it must be the driver. I owned a 98 R before I got the TL, and even after I modded my TL, it still won't take the R. DRIVER....DRIVER.....DRIVER!!!!

------------------
Comptech TL (headers, exhaust, air filter, springs, & swaybars)
Old 01-22-2001, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Sorry to tell you but I just sold my 98 Type R for a 99 TL. And my ITR would kill a TL. I know this will upset many of you but if your TL is betting ITR's the guy in the ITR can't drive. SORRY. Mine did 14.3 on the 1/4 mile with an AEM, exhaust and header. I also have a friend who has a stock ITR with just a AEM and he pulls 14.2 on stock tires. I love the TL and I sold my JDM spec ITR which has been featured in magazines and seen in Super Street but I find it very hard to believe that it wouldn't kill a 3000lbs automatic car. SOORY
Don't think I am a TL hater b/c I think it is the most beautiful car made today.
Old 01-22-2001, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess none of you ever saw the video of the modded CL-S spanking a Modded Type R...Click here to see it!
Ed

------------------

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Old 01-22-2001, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by daniel:
Sorry to tell you but I just sold my 98 Type R for a 99 TL. And my ITR would kill a TL. I know this will upset many of you but if your TL is betting ITR's the guy in the ITR can't drive. SORRY. Mine did 14.3 on the 1/4 mile with an AEM, exhaust and header. I also have a friend who has a stock ITR with just a AEM and he pulls 14.2 on stock tires. I love the TL and I sold my JDM spec ITR which has been featured in magazines and seen in Super Street but I find it very hard to believe that it wouldn't kill a 3000lbs automatic car. SOORY
Don't think I am a TL hater b/c I think it is the most beautiful car made today.
I have a 2001 TL the 5 speed makes a big difference over the 4 speed.

------------------

Old 01-23-2001, 12:37 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Doesn't matter if the driver was good or not, you can still claim victory over the Type-R.

Now if you can take out a stock Type-S, then that'd be a completely differen't story....

------------------
~Phil~
2K1 3.2CL Type-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia. Satin silver, bright-white road lamps, and reflective tint, just got a spoiler, baby!!! Uniden 6599 radar detector, shuttup I know its not a V1

Old 01-23-2001, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Hey, well, good to gear that you beat the TypeR... let me tell you something of what I think...

I used to have a 96 200SX SE-R in Houston... in the past year, many of the 4 banger here have heard or know about my car... Cuz I ran a 14.61 on the track with only CAI, Header, Exhasut and ECU, and that's with the shitty 185/60/14 $40 a piece crappy tire, and also 13.4 with 50shot additional to that with the same set of tires....

I ran against the mod Integras, Civic with GSR, or TypeR on the track that day... Many cars I though they would be faster, didnt do well... Especially those TypeRs! Of course, some ran low-mid 14s... but the majority of the TypeRs ran high 15 to low 16s... That car is really hard to launch, due to the lack of low end power, YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH THAT CAR, to get good time, like launch at 5K+ etc...

On Westhimer(Houston's Sat night illegal drag strip), I run against most rice rockets or preludes and mostly beat them.. Of course I lost to many of them too...

But my whole point is, if you want to have good time, or beat others, you really have to know the car well! and know how to juice out all the power... Without doing so, even you drive a Viper, all you do is peeling off rubbers at the light and watch some Econoline spank you!

I am not suprise that your TL can spank a TypeR if he doesnt know how to launch his car.. Revving high only means rubber burning off the line, and thats mean eat my dust. Plus TL is automatic and have lots of V6 low end power, and that's the advantage to us.. So I do 100% of what you said.. But, if the race continue that night, he would have walk by you around 80 or 90mph, since the wind force are stronger and our cars are heavier..

Thats just my thoughs!

Edward
01 CL
Houston, TX
Old 01-23-2001, 08:06 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

This is my first post, but I just had to reply. Good job on spankin' the Type-R!

I had a similar experience about 2 days ago on the way to work, except it was a modded Celica GT-S with 6-speed. Needless to say, he was not amused when all he saw was the tail end of my TL. Great story.

Old 01-23-2001, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Old 01-23-2001, 03:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Acura once mentioned in their TL introduction news release that the 5 speed is 0.5 sec faster from 0-60 than the 4 speed due to the closer gearing.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by preludeshfan:
[B] I have a 2001 TL the 5 speed makes a big difference over the 4 speed.

Old 01-23-2001, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Besides that, the axle ratio can be lower (numerically higher)because there's an extra gear to lower the revs at speed.
Ed

------------------

Pics of my TL