AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Acura TL overheat and thermostat stuck closed (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/acura-tl-overheat-thermostat-stuck-closed-918908/)

billylo 10-01-2014 08:19 PM

Acura TL overheat and thermostat stuck closed

Hello,
my TL is overheat after driving 10-15 mins.
and I believe the thermostat doesn't work properly.
I asked someone to change the thermostat, but it stuck closed, the coolant can't go through to the engine.
I already opened up the cap and let the air bubble to come up and also squeezed the pipe
the car still overheat
I just did this yesterday, does it take hours to recover?
what else can I do?

NBP04TL4ME 10-01-2014 08:21 PM

Unless i dont understand what you have described and diagnosed, you need to Replace the thermostat :shrug:
You also want to get this resolved quickly as you don't want to regularly be overheating as you will warp your heads.

01tl4tl 10-01-2014 08:40 PM

there is a procedure for getting all the air out of the system, in the owner manual- free here Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits and in our diy section
its more than squeeze and hope!

did you get a GENUINE direct from the Honda dealer `2 stage thermostat` and it was installed in the correct position with locator pin at top?

You may have clogged radiator or other issues- if the temp goes from dead cold to suddenly full hot and cools a little while you drive- start with thermostat- its cheapest!

how old is the coolant- more than 5 years?, color is bold green or blue or weak and diluted looking? total miles on the car now? water pump replaced at 105?

billylo 10-01-2014 11:10 PM

I couldn't find the procedure to remove the air from cooling system, in which section? can you send me the link

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl (Post 15182621)
there is a procedure for getting all the air out of the system, in the owner manual- free here Acura Owners Site | Exclusive Knowledge, Service, & Benefits and in our diy section
its more than squeeze and hope!

did you get a GENUINE direct from the Honda dealer `2 stage thermostat` and it was installed in the correct position with locator pin at top?

You may have clogged radiator or other issues- if the temp goes from dead cold to suddenly full hot and cools a little while you drive- start with thermostat- its cheapest!

how old is the coolant- more than 5 years?, color is bold green or blue or weak and diluted looking? total miles on the car now? water pump replaced at 105?

01tl4tl 10-02-2014 10:58 AM

did you download the owner manual from there?
its got the procedure or look in our diy section, it involves idle till rad fan on and off- top off rad as needed, then 2000 rpm till fan cycles 2 times, top off as needed- a few more things
MUST have heater on HOT during procedure or air is trapped in there!

I don't know the exact page or section of things, look at the index in back of owner book
Should say something like coolant change with a page number or online search for burping rad 2000 TL + acurazine.com should find help

what about my other questions?