Acura TL Break Job..Any input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Acura TL Break Job..Any input appreciated

Hi Guys!!
I have Acura 2002 TL and this is the first time I will be doing break job. I need some input on the same. As I have heard lot of things about break work and it is confusing.

Can you please tell me is it a worth of doing break job from Acura dealer?

If not, from where I do you think, I should get this job done? and which break pads I should use.

Any reply appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Racer

Buy your own rotors and brake pads and do it yourself. Its not that hard. Don't get ripped off by the dealer
Old 05-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I would never do the brakes myself as I simply do not have the expertise. There are some jobs that are just meant to be done by professionals, that and timing belts.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Racer

Originally posted by BLEXV6
I would never do the brakes myself as I simply do not have the expertise. There are some jobs that are just meant to be done by professionals, that and timing belts.
Professionals can't do anything you can't do too given the right equipment, desire to learn, and patience. There are somethings that are easier to have a full-time mechanic do, but they are as human as anyone else and you can do the same thing.

patilsd,

If the car has ABS, which I think the 02's do then take it to someone who knows what they're doing. The ABS system is presurized and can have some interesting "features" you don't want to mess with your first time out. But if you're doing stock power brakes then it's simple.

First, go out and buy the factory service manual for your car. It's a good resource in helping you trouble shoot problems and is what the acura techs use so it won't have the same typos or generalizations the Chilton's or Haynes manuals may have.

Next, make sure you have a good torque wrench and sockets.

Buy your own rotors and pads (do you really need rotors or can you just have them resurfaced?) depending on your needs.
Buy some brake klen, liquid shim, anti squeel, anti seze and brake fluid. Buy extra of everything, you can always return it, but it's a long walk to the parts store if you run out of something.

After that, follow the instructions in teh manual and do one wheel at a time. This way you always have a reference with the other wheel.

When you take the car out the first time, go really slow around the block (e.g. 5mph) and try the brakes at faster and faster speeds as you are sure they work. If they don't work the first time, you want to make sure your e-brake can stop you. It's really not that bad, just a safety tip.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
there is nothing hard about changing the brakes on the tl, it is a very simple job. half the battle is getting the wheel off, the rest is just as easy. a couple wrenches (or sockets) and a c-clamp and if replacing the rotors a screw driver and thats all you need.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

Sorry , it was my mistake in writing...I won't be doing this job myself....my question is.... from where should I get this job done? that is from Pep Boys / Meinken etc ...OR from Dealer is the best....also which bread pads I should I use?
Old 05-23-2003, 02:37 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

patilsd
I'm sorry that you are confused.
If you want a bread job go to the bakery.
If you want a break job go to a mental asylum (or smash some china).
If you want a brake job go to the auto mechanic.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Drifting

brakes actually are very easy to do...just its easier to bring it somewhere...hey...did you guys nkow theres only a solid disc in back?....i thought they were vented all the way around...
Old 05-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is really only ONE THING you MUST remember to do immediately after you change your pads (and rotors if applicable) and that is --- BE SURE TO PUMP THE BRAKE PEDAL ABOUT 10 TIMES BEFORE YOU DRIVE OFF FOR THE FIRST TIME. The calipers on all modern cars are self adjusting, but to self adjust, the pads have to be forced into contact with the rotors to get the fluid levels correct in the brake lines.

I remember a guy at a car audio shop I worked at when i was in my 20s who had this nice 65 Chevy he was restoring. He blueprinted the motor, changed all the suspension parts and was just finishing up the job with new brakes. Well he forgot to pump the pedal before he backed out of the garage bay. He ended up sideswipping the wall of the building next door because the car wouldnt stop rolling backwards. :p

Also, be sure to use Jackstands along with any hydraulic jack. If the hydraulic jack fails it will catch the car from falling on you.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:29 AM

Does anyone know when the brake fluid should be changed? As this will greatly improve breaking performance when needed.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Instructor

If your doing a lot of hard braking, then i would change it once a year. If not then at least every two years. Brake fliud takes a beating and starts to break down after awhile.