Acura Dealers Want Credit Apps??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura Dealers Want Credit Apps??

Anyone know the real reason why the Acura Dealer Finance managers want credit applications filled out before they will close the deal, even when you are paying with a Sight Draft Check, Cashier's Check or Cash? Why do they need this information when they've already got their funds? When I asked why it was necessary, I got the standard "Dealership policy" answer. Just curious if some kind of games are happening.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:09 PM
Race Director

Re: Acura Dealers Want Credit Apps??

Originally posted by tlsshopper
Anyone know the real reason why the Acura Dealer Finance managers want credit applications filled out before they will close the deal, even when you are paying with a Sight Draft Check, Cashier's Check or Cash? Why do they need this information when they've already got their funds? When I asked why it was necessary, I got the standard "Dealership policy" answer. Just curious if some kind of games are happening.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:38 AM
Advanced

They probably think you look too young or too poor to pay for the car and made up some b.s. to check your credit and bind you to their own loan for insurance. The app SHOULD state that you have 7 or so days to get them the money before they kick in their loan.

amcl
Old 07-09-2001, 02:01 AM
Burning Brakes

If you're paying from your own source of funds and they can verify that, then shouldn't be interested in your credit - it has no relevance!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:58 AM
Pro

Usually I won't fill it out until I agreed on the price.
Old 07-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tgif
Usually I won't fill it out until I agreed on the price.
I wouldn't fill it out either until the price is agreed upon.

If you are paying for your car in full then u wouldn't need it.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:41 PM
Intermediate

See my post on
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15990

I should have been stronger and said, "No, I am not interested in financing through Honda..."

Always be prepared to walk away.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem too. But not at all dealerships. A prick in the montclair acura...ask that I fill out a credit application even though I said "I will make a cash payment". Even ask for my driver liciense before any price was said.

I finally got a good deal with south coast acura in costa mesa, ca. He didn't even want my driver liciense to test driver. Anyways, I agree with the other posts:

"If you don't want my business, I can always go somewhere else."
Old 07-09-2001, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

It was South Coast Acura!

Actually, it was Alex (Finance Mgr) at South Coast Acura that insisted on the app, even though I paid for the car with a bank's sight draft check. Maybe it was just a CYA, but it seemed strange.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Re: It was South Coast Acura!

Originally posted by tlsshopper
Actually, it was Alex (Finance Mgr) at South Coast Acura that insisted on the app, even though I paid for the car with a bank's sight draft check. Maybe it was just a CYA, but it seemed strange.
Interestingly enough, I purchased my car through a car broker. I took delivery of the car and turned over the certified checks from me and the bank (downpayment and loan respectively). Then a week later I got a fed ex from the dealer where the broker got the car with a credit app. I had to fill out a credit app and have the broker fax before they would agree to move the car (seemed reasonable since they were moving a car they didn't have any security for yet.)

Well the fax apparently wasn't completely readable, but they moved the car anyway. Well this fed ex from the dealer had a new credit app and copied the info from the faxed credit app that they could read. The note enclosed said that although they had the money, they wanted me to fill out the missing information (conveniently highlighted) for their file.

I happily filled in the missing information and noted that they had not copied my social correctly anyway and fed exed back. I thought the whole experience very odd, but whatever.

So you're not alone. The dealership was Valencia Acura. The broker had no involvement with these schenanigans and I'd do business with him again in a heartbeat.

Thanks,
ERik
Old 07-10-2001, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

I had the same experience, and just completed the credit app.

I wonder if they sell this info? I had a a DP and bank draft, which they saw. So why the credit app? My guess is there must be $$ in it somewhere. FOLLOW THE MONEY!
Old 07-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by quazi
I had the same experience, and just completed the credit app.

I wonder if they sell this info? I had a a DP and bank draft, which they saw. So why the credit app? My guess is there must be $$ in it somewhere. FOLLOW THE MONEY!
If it was similar to my credit app, there is a paragraph at the bottom that basically says they can sell the info if you do not fill in this little circle (very hard to read). I not only filled it in, but I marked it with a fat 'X'.

Of course they sell the info..
Old 07-10-2001, 01:42 PM
Racer

Post Credit app.

Don't fill one out....every time I do they tell me I have good credit and can afford the payments...They don't want to come down on the price....

When I purchase a car we decide on the price first before I will do a credit app or anything like it..I bought the TL-S through a fax attack. I then talked to the lowest dealer on the phone and inked the deal an hour later.