Acura brand versus Lexus brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura brand versus Lexus brand

Does anybody know why the brand Acura is a rung below the
Lexus brand? To me and and some other people I know, it does seem that the brand Lexus sounds more prestigious when shopping for a luxury car. I'm guessing maybe it's because Acura sells affordable cars like the RSX which cheapens the brand and ties it closer with the brand Honda and that the RL isn't making itself heard as a true luxury car for the money and against the competition. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lexus has better overall quality compared to Acura. Furthermore, when you are shopping for a luxury car for around 60k, you look at the LS430, BMW's 5 and 7 series, Mercedes E and S class, and Infiniti's Q45. Acura does not make a car that compares with these autos. The RL is basically has all the features of an Accord plus a better ride. It does not offer voice recognition and all the goodies that the more expensive cars offer. Another factor might be Acura does not offer a V8 which is found in most upscale luxury cars. Some people, when shopping for a luxury car, want a V8.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

well put, but when you're looking at the entry level luxuries, i think Acura steals the show. The TL-S is faster, cheaper, better looking, and nicer than the ES300/GS300 and the I35. And as for the CL-S, well if you can hang with a FWD, it'd be taken over an IS 5-spd and a G35. for what they offer, Acuras are the best bar none.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Illusion Lighting

Ever since Infiniti introcuded the G35 cars, i've been wondering what's going to happen to acura. For the same price now, u can get a car that has just about more of everything.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by see_fu
For the same price now, u can get a car that has just about more of everything.
Not really....to get what you have in an Acura for about 31K you will need to pay about $5K more on the G35. The only thing I see that is more is the engine power.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:17 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My business partner has owned 2 Lexi, an ES and a GS. his father has an LS. Every time i got in to one of them, it felt like a Toyota tottaly. Even the GS, though very nice style body wise, the interior looked cheap. Nice ride, but button placement and just the feel of the door panels and dash felt cheap. Acura, like with the TL, sure its an Accord in disguise, but the interior is almost perfect. Sleak door panels, nice material for the dash and consoles, tottaly different from an accord. the only true sign your in a Honda is the hood release latch, sunroof/cruise/wheel buttons/steering wheel. Otherwise, its a tottaly different car.

Sure everyone here would buy an E55 or a 540i if they could, but the TL is priced the same as the ES, lexus' entry level sedan, and it far superior in every way.

The G series from Infinity is real nice though, but remember guys, that is a new style car. Our TL's are old news as soon as the new stuff comes out. I'm sure Acura will want to keep up their rep as "cant throw a rock withoug hitting one" and will make a car so comparable to the new Infinity, and others in that class, that you will once again be wondering, should i get an I35 or a new TL?

Hopefully Acura will be buffing up the motors in the new line. I doubt a V8 will be avaliable, but theres alot of room in thoes V6's to push 300 HP no problem. Hell, they might even stick the old NSX motor in the new TL-S, that would frickin ROCK.

Just my $0.02

-me
Old 12-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Instructor

the difference between acura and lexus is that acura flinched when lexus did not, and lexus is reaping the rewards.

but toyota/lexus is a bigger company, and they can afford to make more mistakes (although they didn't) that acura didn't risk. That's why we had the dull 1st gen tl, the accord with a differnet body cl, and an rl that had less hp than the legend.

at least they ahd the integra which kept the name alive until they came out with the 2nd gen tl.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:13 AM
O.G.

IMO, Acura is better in the sub $35K range while Lexus have the over $40K range covered pretty good.

Since luxury goes hand in hand with $$$, people will steer towards the lexus cause acura has nothing covered in that area. Oh and let's not talk about the RL (nice car and everything but it doesn't cut it).
Old 12-26-2002, 01:12 PM
6th Gear

Cool

Let me start out by saying I've only owned my '03 TL-P for 3 weeks, while my wife's been driving a lexus RX300 for the past 3 years. I love my car but in my option the lexus vehicles are a small cut above the acuras.

I would have bought an ES if they had not been 5-6k more expensive than a similiarly equiped TL. The TL seemed, and still does, to be a bargain when compared to what lexus, bmw, infinity, nissan, etc have to offer.

As far as specific examples as to why a lexus seems better, it's just things like quieter ride, richer wood interior surfaces, the way the instrument panel is completely black until you turn the key and then its just beautifully illuminated...

And while I know the lexus service is more expensive than acura, they always have a loaner car waiting when you drop off you car for service, no matter how minor the service is, no questions asked... While at the same time my acura dealer tells my I can only have a loaner car if I'm bringing my car in for an extended service, whatever that is exactly.

Since the lexus and acura dealers here in Nashville practically share a parking lot they are so close together, I was able to test drive a TL then walk right next door and drive an ES. There's nothing quiet like a side by side comparision.

Like I said I love my new TL, I'm not trying to make any enemies on this board, especially because in a few weeks time I've gotten all sorts great info from you already. Like everyone else I'm just putting in my $0.02, for whatever it's worth.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

i own the 02 tls and also 98 gs4. let me tell you, lexus has for superior performance, power, luxury, and quality than acura, period. lexus is no doubt up high in quality and luxury to be among the best of luxury vehicles. on the other hand acura is nice, i like my car, but it's definitely not as luxury or quality built as lexus. you can easily see it from all the details, etc...

that's something acura really has to work on if they really want to break through and get into the true luxury brand. imho acura is more in an entry level luxury brand rather than a true luxury brand. lexus on the other is for sure a true luxury brand
Old 12-26-2002, 04:45 PM

Lets look at the product lines:

Acura El-re-badged civic sub 20k
Acura Integra/RSX-4-cylinder sub 25k
Acura TSX-4 clyinder sub 25k
Acrua CL org. 4 cylinder, now 6 cylinder sub 30k
Acura TL-was a 5 cylinder and 6, now a 6 cylinder sub 30k
Acura RL-6 cylinder 45k joke
Acura NSX-awesome car, never got the sales it deserved
Acura SLX-Trooper, now a MDX, the current Acura winner

Lexus ES 250-okay a fock up, but had a V-6
Lexus ES 300-best selling entry luxo V-6 only nameplate 30K
Lexus IS 300-offered the first true 3-series competitor, I-6, 30k
Lexus GS series-Acura offers nothing close 45-55k
Lexus LS series-Acura offers nothing close 55-70k
Lexus SC 300/400/430-Acura offers nothing close 65k
Lexus RX 300-invented the car-based SUV, sales leader 35k
Lexus GX 470-Acura offers nothing close 50k
Lexus LX 450/470-Acura offers nothing close 70k

Based on price alone and engine offerings, Acura is far behind. No V-8, no RWD, hell real wood. Not to mention PARENT company Honda is not TRYING to battle Benz, BMW, Lexus head-on. Infiniti does offer now 2 RWD V-8s though the brand has no PANACHE so people do not see it as a luxo brand.

Funny thing is, many hardcore German fans don't see Lexus as a Luxo car. They have these conversations at the dealer Saturday morning getting unscheduled maintenance done on their car
Old 12-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

hahaha sick, i wonder why when i replied to the thread that i was SURE you are going to jump into this thread

anyway, very well said but i recall i read somewhere that lexus is classified into euro imports as well for some reason, people said it's coz' of it's class.

and yes, it's really funny why acura has pretty much no rwd families
Old 12-26-2002, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally posted by hansen83
Let me start out by saying I've only owned my '03 TL-P for 3 weeks, while my wife's been driving a lexus RX300 for the past 3 years. I love my car but in my option the lexus vehicles are a small cut above the acuras.

I would have bought an ES if they had not been 5-6k more expensive than a similiarly equiped TL. The TL seemed, and still does, to be a bargain when compared to what lexus, bmw, infinity, nissan, etc have to offer.

As far as specific examples as to why a lexus seems better, it's just things like quieter ride, richer wood interior surfaces, the way the instrument panel is completely black until you turn the key and then its just beautifully illuminated...

Not sure if you would have said this if youwould have taken an MDX.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Yeah Lexus always have a better reputation than Acura. But that just made people envy you more. And that means that they gonna f*ck it up somehow. Thats y my next car is gonna be the M3 or M5. LOLz!!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:36 PM

Envy is for shallow people. I mean, does the M5 owner envy the S55 owner? The S600 owner envy the Rolls ROyce owner? Honestly, who really gives a sh!t what people think. Lexus is cool and all, but they have NOTHING factory on a M or AMG or RS Audi cars. But they work.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Envy is for shallow people. I mean, does the M5 owner envy the S55 owner? The S600 owner envy the Rolls ROyce owner? Honestly, who really gives a sh!t what people think. Lexus is cool and all, but they have NOTHING factory on a M or AMG or RS Audi cars. But they work.
Well said. We are all satisfied with what we have until we compare ourselves to someone with more (or perceived to have more). There will always be people with more or better things. Envy is a waste of time.

We're all on this site because the TL appealed to us in some way - value, performance, reliability, upgradeability, etc. Probably different reasons for each of us. Haven't found a car yet that's all things to all people. If someone finds one, let me know.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Allout

Envy is a waste of time.

I wish everybody understands that.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Race Director

Ok I got a Question..

What would you take?
A) BMW Z8
B) LEXUS SC430
C) Mercedes CLK
D) ACURA NSX

What would you Take?
A) BMW 540i
B) LEXUS LS430
C) MERCEDES E-Series
D) ACURA RL

What would you Take?
A) BMW 3 Series
B) LEXUS ES300
C) MERCEDES C320
D) ACURA TL Type-S (TL OBVIOUSLY)

The Problem with Acura is they are missing many options like AWD, V8, and they need a Car Cheaper than the TL which they are getting out called TSX... Now what About Between TL and RL? What about Above RL? See Acura does not have everything for everyones tastes.. Acura will never be known as a True Luxury Car Unless they have Options, Choices, Models, etc..
Old 12-27-2002, 10:31 AM
6th Gear

Cool

Originally posted by Saintor

Not sure if you would have said this if youwould have taken an MDX.

Unfortunately the MDX wasn't available in november of '99 when we bought the RX. It would have been nice to do comparo of the two...
Old 12-27-2002, 11:01 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by 2004TL
Ok I got a Question..

What would you take?
A) BMW Z8
B) LEXUS SC430
C) Mercedes CLK
D) ACURA NSX

What would you Take?
A) BMW 540i
B) LEXUS LS430
C) MERCEDES E-Series
D) ACURA RL

What would you Take?
A) BMW 3 Series
B) LEXUS ES300
C) MERCEDES C320
D) ACURA TL Type-S (TL OBVIOUSLY)

The Problem with Acura is they are missing many options like AWD, V8, and they need a Car Cheaper than the TL which they are getting out called TSX... Now what About Between TL and RL? What about Above RL? See Acura does not have everything for everyones tastes.. Acura will never be known as a True Luxury Car Unless they have Options, Choices, Models, etc..
1) Acura NSX hands down
2) most likely a mercedes E-Series
3) Lexus wins here, the ES300 in this catagory is a step above the rest. However, if money was an issue, the TL-S would be the car that would win.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:51 PM

Well the Z8, it costs the most, V-8, 400hp u get the pic
BMW 540 though I would actually consider the LS (Tom's parts would help it out a bundle)
ES 300

Though MiamiTL, all the cars in each category are not really each others competition.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by miamiTL

1) Acura NSX hands down
2) most likely a mercedes E-Series
3) Lexus wins here, the ES300 in this catagory is a step above the rest. However, if money was an issue, the TL-S would be the car that would win.
You actually like the ES? Its ugly.... :yack: and the performance sucks, I know its Luxury and All, But since you bought a TL I would think you are more in the Performance Region of a Sedan..

Yes ES is Luxury but TL is more Performance and it isnt too bad in the Luxury side either..
Old 12-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the Z8, it costs the most, V-8, 400hp u get the pic
BMW 540 though I would actually consider the LS (Tom's parts would help it out a bundle)
ES 300

Though MiamiTL, all the cars in each category are not really each others competition.
LOL this is funny, why does everyone prefer a ES300 over a TL? So your saying if you had 5-6 grand more that you would have bought a ES over the TL you bought?? Whats so nice about the ES? I think its ugly and its nice in the inside but the TL isnt too bad either?...
Old 12-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 2004TL

LOL this is funny, why does everyone prefer a ES300 over a TL? So your saying if you had 5-6 grand more that you would have bought a ES over the TL you bought?? Whats so nice about the ES? I think its ugly and its nice in the inside but the TL isnt too bad either?...
I think he going for the name brand.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:15 PM

Good question. I can forgive the ES 300 since it no longer is trying to be sporty and is a luxo car (except FWD). The TL is cheaper but barring the engine, it is not as luxurious. Helluva lot faster though. I would buy neither one. I love RWD neither offers that.
I think he going for the name brand
Good point too. If I spend 30k or more for a car, I woudn't mind the extra panache of a hood ornament That is just me though.