Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hunter001:
Things I like about the IS300:
Good build quality
RWD (excellent handling in the dry)
Compact and light (handles like a go-kart)

Things I dislike:
Taillights (IMHO, Lexus should not have put that junk into an otherwise good design. Yuck!!!)
Boy racer, cheap looking interior (When you go after the 3-series, why not adopt the philosophy of the 3-series in totality ?)
Miserable mileage (2 friends of mine average less than 20mpg, which is disgraceful for a sub-compact).

Hopefully, knowing Lexus, the next version should have a better full-leather interior along with other badly needed interior improvements....auto-dimming mirrors certainly wouldn't hurt, an arm-rest in the center would certainly help....others may not agree, but I would certainly want to have a Navigation system in the car (after driving a car with the NAV system, I will not purchase another car without one).

just my 2c

lexus is not out to imitate the 3series, but compete with it. the interior resembles some what of a ferrari (laugh all you want, countless magazines have admitted). the suede seats which is also offered in the alpine lambo, the shift knobs/pedals/door sill which are like audi, ferraris, etc. but, the matter of you liking it or not is totally up to you. to each his own.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-06-2001, 08:50 PM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

lexus is not out to imitate the 3series, but compete with it. the interior resembles some what of a ferrari (laugh all you want, countless magazines have admitted). the suede seats which is also offered in the alpine lambo, the shift knobs/pedals/door sill which are like audi, ferraris, etc. but, the matter of you liking it or not is totally up to you. to each his own.

I am not too sure about the seats being Ferrari-like....

My take is that Lexus tried to attract a younger crowd into its dealerships with the IS series (by introducing boy-racer styling elements), since the average age of a Lexus customer was going way up in years....which was not good for the company, in the long haul. But Lexus miscalculated badly and did not factor in the fact that younger crowd = low on money. Very few of the young fellows (for whom the styling statements of the IS300 would appeal to) can afford a car that stickers over 30G.....few, if any, traditional Lexus customers find the styling of the IS300 appealing (I am specifically referring to the tail-lights and the Interior-Ferrari-like or otherwise).....but if Lexus had put in traditional tail-lights on the IS with interiors that are classy, yet wonderfully functional and purposeful, I would certainly have lined up for one (would have purchased one for cash, too)...assuming it came with a Navigation system and the mileage could have been bettered...

But carmakers like Lexus, do not make many mistakes, and if they do make mistakes, rarely do they repeat them. I would bet that Lexus would make a lot of changes (more in line with classy competitive products from other luxury automakers), in the IS series over the next couple of years...

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by hunter001:
I am not too sure about the seats being Ferrari-like....

My take is that Lexus tried to attract a younger crowd into its dealerships with the IS series (by introducing boy-racer styling elements), since the average age of a Lexus customer was going way up in years....which was not good for the company, in the long haul. But Lexus miscalculated badly and did not factor in the fact that younger crowd = low on money. Very few of the young fellows (for whom the styling statements of the IS300 would appeal to) can afford a car that stickers over 30G.....few, if any, traditional Lexus customers find the styling of the IS300 appealing (I am specifically referring to the tail-lights and the Interior-Ferrari-like or otherwise).....but if Lexus had put in traditional tail-lights on the IS with interiors that are classy, yet wonderfully functional and purposeful, I would certainly have lined up for one (would have purchased one for cash, too)...assuming it came with a Navigation system and the mileage could have been bettered...

But carmakers like Lexus, do not make many mistakes, and if they do make mistakes, rarely do they repeat them. I would bet that Lexus would make a lot of changes (more in line with classy competitive products from other luxury automakers), in the IS series over the next couple of years...

just my 2c

well you see, the seats of an IS300 are like the ferraris and lambo in one way, and i stated it, the suede. it is made to prevent driver from sliding. btw, you would be surprised at how many of the IS300 owners are 18yrs old. MOST owners are between 18-24, and lexus did quite well (exceeding) with their IS300 sales. i dont think its a mistake that lexus made, the car intention was not pure luxurious. but, sporty with a tad of luxury.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-06-2001, 10:57 PM

Isn't the TL based on the accord?? I know its supposed to be the old vigor, but it REALLY looks like a 4dr. accord.

I used to want a TL, and when i saw an accord from far away... my eyes would brighten thinking it was a TL... but then i would kick myself in the ass for thinking this great car i was going to get could be confused with a lowly accord....

oh well......
Old 03-06-2001, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Yea, the TL looks a bit like the Accord. Now lets hear you say the Lexus looks like a Civic. Because it does. Don't fight it.
Old 03-06-2001, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MSMLexIS300:
Well said spark plug boy What was that again?[/B]
Hey why don't you come up to Orlando and I'll let you toss my TL's salad MSM ... Oh wait a minute, you wouldn't even get that close to my cars rear ... Why don't you try to downshift on me and beat me like you did that imaginary TL in Jax ...

Shyne--If you have 12 or less posts, don't try to boast ...
Old 03-07-2001, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ugen78:
I think we should all stop dissing UW TL, he's just telling his story, how girls think that Acura is up there with Lexus. Probably cause the TL is so Lux, which is a compliment to all our TL's...

That's all I was sayin'. I couldn't tell if she was sayin "Hey, those Lexus cars are a lot like this bad a$$ TL" or "Why would you want to drop such a bad a$$ car like this TL?" Hey, not dissin' anybody -- just curious