Accessing Bose Sub on rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessing Bose Sub on rear deck

I need to open the bose sub to take care of a rattle that is driving me nuts. I haven't been using my 2 12in subs in the truck because it sounds like I have a roll of pennies on my rear deck. Could some one please tell me how I can access the POS Bose sub.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Yes i do actually they had to remove that to do my tints. it looks complicated but all u gotta do is take a screw driver and pop it up and then when done pop it back down. No Prob.

I actually wouldn't mind changing that sub to a better woofer but i understand with bose systems u can't just do that also i wanna dynamat that whole area back there. Also a better sub would have a bigger magnet and there's probably to much bull**** back there for it to fit.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks evsweat1-but when you say it just pops out are you refering to the fabric covering the sub or the entire piece, ie: brake light assembly and sub. Just wanted to make sure I understand before I try to pry it out w/a screw driver. Although if I don't fix that rattle soon I may be using a crow bar on my rear deck.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

No not the whole rear deck just the speaker grill u can pop that off. try doing i from the side. It was like 3 years ago but that's what i remmeber how it wa done
Old 01-27-2002, 12:09 PM
Instructor

The speaker grill pops straight up. Just use a little pressure and pull it straight up. I did not have to use a screw driver, just my hands. I have that same rattle, so I took the speaker out and dynamatted every metal part that I could find. It seems to have taken care of that rattle.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Cooter, I've been considering removing the stock sub, and having someone fabricate a mounting position for a 12" sub. I heard it's really complicated because of the torsion bars that are directly beneath the stock sub! I'm trying to find ways around this, but all hands seem to be pointing at impossible!! If you can get around this, let me know!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

cooter, what year tl?

i removed the stock sub, so bass can get through rear deck easier than if it was still there. on the 2002 you have to remove the bass cover completely, not just the cloth grille cover...!!!

it isnt hard though. there are two snap ins on the front, pry the grille up from the plastic, and pull toward you. the whole assembly comes off. but you have to disconnect the brake light wires before taking completely off. either do this from inside the trunk or by being careful and pulling off from inside the car. oh yeh, you will have to remove the rear seat to do this cause its in the way.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JayPolos
Cooter, I've been considering removing the stock sub, and having someone fabricate a mounting position for a 12" sub. I heard it's really complicated because of the torsion bars that are directly beneath the stock sub! I'm trying to find ways around this, but all hands seem to be pointing at impossible!! If you can get around this, let me know!
you can go two ways, either remove the torsioners if that doesnt bother you. or buy a linear actuator that will lift and close the trunk...have fun
Old 01-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Systek, if I were to remove the torsioners, would I have a problem with opening/closing the trunk?
Old 01-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JayPolos
Systek, if I were to remove the torsioners, would I have a problem with opening/closing the trunk?
ive never done it, so i cant say for sure, i would guess that with the pressure of the rubber seal all around the trunk, it would pop up just enough to unlock. all you have to worry about is keeping it fully open w/out the torsioners.