'99TL-P, Navi to Android Auto swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
'99TL-P, Navi to Android Auto swap

Soon after I picked this car up about three years ago, I learned of the Navi variant and immediately imagined how nice it'd be to have one with the outdated Navi technology replaced with a modern Android Auto headunit.
I soon found a Navi model TL at the junkyard and took the Navi bracket and dashboard cover home with me. I held onto those parts for two years, and today I can finally make use of the incredible amount of space they took up in my storage closet.

After months of work in Autodesk Inventor, and hours logged of running up and down the three flights of stairs it takes to get to my car, I can present the results:

Before shot, with my old stereo and non-Navi dashboard.

After shot, with the Navi dashboard and Android Auto stereo installed, and stock HVAC controls relocated.

After work today, I'll recreate the "before" shot as best as I can with the new hardware to try and give a more dramatic comparison.

I've got an imgur album here that shows the entire build process, with the various attempts to get the HVAC panel right. I'd say that was the most time-consuming item on the to-do list by far. I used the aftermarket single-DIN stereo mount as a reference to create the model, but that mount was never a perfect fit in the first place. Take a look through and see my handiwork!

I've also attached a zip file containing the STL files for the print, in case anyone wants to recreate this themselves. If you do, please post your results! I'd love to see what others can come up with. Both files are made to be printed in mm, so be sure to set that right in the printer options! I used ABS, 100% infill for the final product. The STL is missing two bolt holes to mount the panel, but you can easily drill that out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
2ndGenTL HVAC panel print.zip (120.2 KB, 67 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Arkady:
Saudade (03-13-2020), Tesla1856 (10-01-2020), whitetiger5 (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dang my Kenwood is pretty deep. I'm not sure if it will fit looking at the nav screens body depth.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Outstanding work Arkady!
The following users liked this post:
Arkady (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sfwraveep
Dang my Kenwood is pretty deep. I'm not sure if it will fit looking at the nav screens body depth.
Yeah, I had to specifically shop for thin stereos for this.

If you like Alpine, the ILX-W650 is a perfect depth, and its just a millimeter or so too big for the bracket. So a touch with a dremel will make it fit!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arkady
Yeah, I had to specifically shop for thin stereos for this.

If you like Alpine, the ILX-W650 is a perfect depth, and its just a millimeter or so too big for the bracket. So a touch with a dremel will make it fit!
I may just pick up an Alpine for this. Would you be willing to print and paint an hvac panel for me, I can pay. I've also used services like Shapeways so its fine either way.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Pro

I may just pick up an Alpine for this. Would you be willing to print and paint an hvac panel for me, I can pay. I've also used services like Shapeways so its fine either way.
While I'm truly honored that someone would pay me to replicate my work, I think I need a break from this project. I've spent every evening of the past few weeks working on it and need a little bit of a break hahah

Also, my ABS print still came out with a few tiny cracks that I had to glue and clamp back shut - a more "professional" printing group would probably be better at working with ABS filament and give you a cleaner product.

I can send links to the paints I used if you want - the gray is like 99% a perfect match for our OEM plastic.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
large pieces like this are really difficult to 3D print and get right the first time.

On a side note, I'd b really interested to see some photos of the painted parts and original parts, more and more people will surely want to paint the interior trim pieces as our cars get older.

congrats on the work, now time to cruise and enjoy it
Arkady (03-16-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Pro

I'll upload a new zip file this weekend with adjusted models - I made mine a bit thinner on one side to fit with some bends already in my car, but I'll correct it to "stock" for everyone else.
I also had a request for a USB-less, cubby-less version, so I'll make copies without the USB, and copies without the cubby. On another thread outside this forum someone asked for a larger cubby, so I'll model that up too. Stay tuned!
The following 2 users liked this post by Arkady:
Saudade (03-20-2020), sfwraveep (03-20-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:35 PM
Pro

As promised, here are the adjusted models:
Click here to access my Google Drive share
If the link goes down for some reason, don't be shy - let me know and I'll get it back up.

Inside the zip folder I've got a model with a massive cubby and no USB, a model of the larger cubby, a model with a regular cubby and no USB, a model with neither cubby nor USB, and a copy of the version I used in my build, with the corrected side like I mentioned earlier.
I also included the .ipt files in case anyone has Autodesk Inventor and wishes to modify this to fit their needs. Feel free to use it as you want, just be sure to show us here what you make! This is open-source stuff here on the TL forum :P
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

I just sent no cubby no usb version to a printer, can't wait to see it!
Arkady (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Pro

I'm excited to see what you make with it sfwraveep! I've got another thread on here where I discussed paints with whitetiger and iggy, it has links to Amazon pages for the paints I used for the nearl-OEM look.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

mounted!

Next step is getting a shallow radio which will take some time with this pandemic.
Arkady (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Pro

mounted!

Next step is getting a shallow radio which will take some time with this pandemic.
I love it! I'm so happy to see others doing this. If you want, I can send a link to the radio I used. It's going for $60 on eBay right now, but it's from China so it'll take forever (and you may want to disinfect it lol). I've loved it so far.

Alternatively, the Alpine ILX-W650 fits as well! I didn't use the one I got because it wasn't as snappy or customizable as I wanted it to be. That should be retailing for about $300 right now.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

I love it! I'm so happy to see others doing this. If you want, I can send a link to the radio I used. It's going for $60 on eBay right now, but it's from China so it'll take forever (and you may want to disinfect it lol). I've loved it so far.

Alternatively, the Alpine ILX-W650 fits as well! I didn't use the one I got because it wasn't as snappy or customizable as I wanted it to be. That should be retailing for about $300 right now.
​​​​​​
​I am planning on buying a ILX-W650 when I get back to my non-essential job. I bought
this this
to fill the space until then.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Pro

​​​​​​
​I am planning on buying a ILX-W650 when I get back to my non-essential job. I bought this to fill the space until then.
Nice! The front plate looks almost identical to mine haha. Watch out for the slowness on the ilx though, no joke. Android auto was noticeably laggy on it for me, but the Noname chinesium one I got has it running silky smooth.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Installed . Only hard parts were cutting metal like the nav body and radio area.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Pro

Installed . Only hard parts were cutting metal like the nav body and radio area.
Awesome work! I'm glad your album highlights the metal cutting that I completely glossed over in my build album.

Looks like you've been through a handful of stereos at this point. Can you post detail shots of how the tweeters look mounted on your doors? That looks interesting.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Awesome work! I'm glad your album highlights the metal cutting that I completely glossed over in my build album.

Looks like you've been through a handful of stereos at this point. Can you post detail shots of how the tweeters look mounted on your doors? That looks interesting.
Tweeter album
Old 04-23-2020, 06:05 AM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing work! I'm going to save those as soon as I get home! Please send me the link for the radio that you used.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by L3wD
Amazing work! I'm going to save those as soon as I get home! Please send me the link for the radio that you used.
Thanks! I sent you a PM with the link - I'm not sure how this forum feels about links to ebay listings so I went the safer route.

If you end up making this, be sure to post a picture when you're done! I'd love to see how it turns out for you.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:29 PM
3rd Gear

As promised, here are the adjusted models:
Click here to access my Google Drive share
If the link goes down for some reason, don't be shy - let me know and I'll get it back up.

Inside the zip folder I've got a model with a massive cubby and no USB, a model of the larger cubby, a model with a regular cubby and no USB, a model with neither cubby nor USB, and a copy of the version I used in my build, with the corrected side like I mentioned earlier.
I also included the .ipt files in case anyone has Autodesk Inventor and wishes to modify this to fit their needs. Feel free to use it as you want, just be sure to show us here what you make! This is open-source stuff here on the TL forum :P
Possible to get a reupload ? Just found the project from an Acura group on FB
Old 02-01-2021, 07:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thomas montano
Possible to get a reupload ? Just found the project from an Acura group on FB
Absolutely! Let me know if this link looks like right zip, there's a few on my drive that might be it. I'm not going to have access to a proper computer to open a zip file with for a few weeks so the best I can do is share links.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DXA...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 02-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Pro

Just saw you requested access Thomas - I changed the settings so anyone with the link can download it. Give it a refresh and try again
Old 02-01-2021, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you sir. Also for anyone wondering, a regular sized double din will fit up there, not just the disc-less units. I swapped my radio and nav location a few years back.
Arkady (02-05-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 02:25 PM
Pro

I'm getting ready to sell my lovely TL to it's 4th owner, but I'd prefer to have it closer to stock before I sell it. I'd feel better if this kit went to someone who wanted it rather than just someone looking for a cheap 20 year old car.

If anyone's interested, I'm looking to sell the entire assembly - dashboard with navi cutout, radio mounting bracket, radio if you want it, AC control panel & 3d printed mounting plate, the coin tray, and all associated cables and wires. Basically, everything you'd need to turn a 2nd-gen TL interior into a sleek, android-auto supporting setup.

I still need to whip up the asking price, but it'll basically just be enough to cover replacement parts from the junkyard so I can convert the car to stock and still sell it, plus shipping and maybe some beer money for myself. Hit me up if you're interested!
Old 02-19-2023, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Talking I've done it again. Kenwood DMX7706s almost perfect fit.

pov

chassis is a little thicker

ignore the floor trash