99 Tranny question in a nutshell..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Tranny question in a nutshell..

What exactly are the symptoms of the 4 speed auto
going out??? We have 99TL..
Car has 55K on it and I have not noticed anything out of the normal.
We got the letter from Acura regarding the warranty extension and things to look out for.....
Is it happening more to the A5's or both A4's/A5's???

Chris...
Old 01-22-2004, 01:40 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Is it happening more to the A5's or both A4's/A5's???
Since you also asked on another thread...

I don't know. Anecdotally I'd say more problems befall the '02 Type S more than any of the cars. There indeed is some sort of issue in the 3rd gear clutch pack and a new PCM changes the way the car actually shifts. Is there a loss in power? I dunno, but doubt that.

PeterUbers and I have posted about this ad nauseum. The car really seems to shift much more smoothly than before the PCM upgrade. The Type-S always had a "snap" to its 2nd and 3rd gear shifts, but with the new PCM, that abrupt snap is gone. I really haven't seen someone with a tranny failure WITH the new PCM install except for a couple failing in a month or two post replacement (which seems to be more of a service/labor issue than anything). I abuse my car and have had no issues for almost 20k miles/10 months with the new PCM...

I likened my problems before the tranny dropped to that of a manual transmission where the clutch is about to fail: car wants to shift but gradually makes the shift and then kinda snaps...When it finally went, I was racing a new Rustang GT and when I went to hit 3rd the car went into 5th...I let off the gas and it dropped into 2nd and the rpm's almost went through the roof. I limped it back to the dealer shifting randmomly between 2nd and 5th...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 99 TL that is currently at the dealer for a new tranny. I have 77K on the car and during one of the cold days (here in NJ) my TCS and Engine Malfunction lights came on. The car still seemed to be running ok and there was no noticeable gear slippage. The manual led me to believe there was an emissions problem but when I took it to the dealer they told me I needed a transmission. The funny thing is that while on the way to the dealer (about 10 days after light came on) the light went off. I guess they were still able to pull the code. So I am driving a 2003 TL-S loaner while they make the repair (around 10 days to get parts and perform work.) So, I had no symptoms at all besides the lights coming on. I am just glad it happened while still covered. Hope that helps a bit.

Rob
Old 01-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
I don't know. Anecdotally I'd say more problems befall the '02 Type S more than any of the cars. There indeed is some sort of issue in the 3rd gear clutch pack and a new PCM changes the way the car actually shifts. Is there a loss in power? I dunno, but doubt that.
LS14ME2:
The tranny problem for the 4-spd Auto ('99 TL) and the 5-spd Auto ('00 and up) is completely different. As r10apple mentioned, the 5-spd Auto transmission problem is related to the 3rd gear clutch pack. However, the 4-spd Auto transmission problem is related to weak bearings. In my opinion, the best way to eliminate the potential of a '99 tranny failure is to do a complete tranny flush every once in awhile. There is no supported documentation to prove that this will work, but I believe it might help. My line of reasoning is this: as the weak bearings start to deteriorate, metal bits and shavings will seep into the transmission fluid. These metal bits and shavings, if not removed from your transmission fluid, can drastically reduce your transmission's life. Hence the tranny flush (this is different than a tranny drain and fill btw).

There are members on this board who state that no amount of tranny flush will work, but then most of them don't have a 99 TL like we do (and of course, a tranny flush won't solve the problem of a 3rd gear clutch pack failure in the 5-spd Auto). Remember, most of the tranny problems to date relate to the 3rd gear clutch pack. Yes, there are a few 99 TLs with tranny problems. That is a fact. But IMHO, we are quite fortunate as the reported number of 99 tranny failures is minimal. You should be OK, but if your tranny does go, at least you have your tranny warranty extension.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the help and info....
I will watch for any changes and maintain the transmission as suggested...
We have a great non-dealer Acura shop in our area...
I have not had good luck with our local dealer service....
Old 01-22-2004, 04:08 PM
lover and fighter

my TCS and Engine Malfunction lights came on
Mine came on when the shi+ hit the fan, but not before...

I agree with patrick's logic, but I think there is more to it than a totally separate issue. I do not know if the '99 is getting the new PCM, but I do know Acura is extending the warranty on older models too, so there must be something (I would think) in common between the two cars causing failure...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
Mine came on when the shi+ hit the fan, but not before...

I agree with patrick's logic, but I think there is more to it than a totally separate issue. I do not know if the '99 is getting the new PCM, but I do know Acura is extending the warranty on older models too, so there must be something (I would think) in common between the two cars causing failure...
I've read somewhere that it is a totally separate issue...I don't recall where I've read it tho. But I may be wrong about this. Can anyone with a 99 TL tranny replacement speak up and let us know?
Old 01-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

me have 99.
new trans at 56k.

i learned of tranny problems, before i talk to my ACURA dealership.

for me...

it was catupulting into the next gear..

delayed upshifting.

i didn't think acura would do anything.

but the new tranny seems ok.

i am afraid to get on it..

keep thinking the trans will just freakin SNAP!.

like a twig.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Joseph_99TL
me have 99.
new trans at 56k.

i learned of tranny problems, before i talk to my ACURA dealership.

for me...

it was catupulting into the next gear..

delayed upshifting.

i didn't think acura would do anything.

but the new tranny seems ok.

i am afraid to get on it..

keep thinking the trans will just freakin SNAP!.

like a twig.
Did your tranny replacement include replacing the PCM?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
lover and fighter

I did find out last night that the notices Acura sent were the same (neighbor has a '99 but never has had a problem)...