99 TL Navigation Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stimpy
sorry to bring this thread back up again.

i've been following this one for awhile and i finally got ahold of all the equipment to do this. i'm in CA, so i got region 1 from the mansjur.net website, unzipped it onto my CF card(viking 512) and popped it into my car. says that the drive is unformatted(same as what it was saying when i bought the car in june). now i've reformatted the card to FAT(the way UNLC described what works for him) and it still doesnt work. and like miamirice, i know nobody that still runs win98. any suggestions?
Stimpy,
As a quick check, you should have 41 files on your CF card and the use about 203 MB (213,872,336 bytes) for region 1. That is what the file size shows on my computer hard drive, it may be slightly different on a compact flash card?? The only other thing I can think of, is you have a bad download or your card is not compatible for some reason or another. I have found that most/all 512 MB cards work with the NAVI. Also I use a 256MB for region 1 and it works. Region1 is smaller than the other regions and they all fit on a 256 MB card. If you have one you might try it.

UNLC
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Yup

i went through the whole "format using win 98" and it still didn't work for me.

i went on craigslist and found some lady who had windows 98 on her laptop and in exchange for helping her get a copy of office onto there she let me use her laptop to format my CF card (512MB Sandisk II Extreme or something like that) and load my files onto there using that computer. NO LUCK!!! Still hangs on the screen that shows the earth.

i have almost given up hope for this.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miamirice

i went on craigslist and found some lady who had windows 98 on her laptop and in exchange for helping her get a copy of office onto there she let me use her laptop to format my CF card (512MB Sandisk II Extreme or something like that) and load my files onto there using that computer. NO LUCK!!! Still hangs on the screen that shows the earth.

Before giving up altogether, you might just want to try a couple of different brands and models of 512 MB CF cards. The first one that I tried, a Sandisk CF card, gave me a "Incorrect disk" error. I then tried a Viking CF card, without changing anything else, and it worked perfectly.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

I am only guessing here, BUT if you get the "Globe", I would think your card is formatted ok and MAYBE the problem is bad or missing files. As I remember it when the "card" didn't work I got some kind of message about the "Format". When I had missing files I got the GLOBE.
You might try loading a different region and see what happens. Your system won't display where you are but you will be able to scan/move the maps to where they will display. I hope this makes sense. It is a way to check to see if it is the card or the files that is the problem.

Also I would think that Windows XP will format the card properly provided you select the "FAT" format when you format the card. Also check the card to make SURE it is in the FAT format afterwards.

UNLC

UNLC
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i tried another region just to see if it was bad/corrupted files for me, but with still no luck. i guess my next move will be to find another card. but before i do that, would anybody else be willing to give me a try on files that they know have worked for them? maybe i do in fact have corrupted files....
Old 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Yup

thanks UNLC. you may be right. but the thing is, i have like 5 different sets of regional files, from 5 different sources. one set, i got from a CF replacement drive that was WORKING in some girl's TL - and one of the others is from my old hard drive. none of them work right now. so it's more likely it's the brand problem, rather than missing/bad files...right?

i am going to try bob_f's suggestion...*SIGH*...when i work up the motivation. that girl's CF card was a Kingston card. it looks like Kingston, Viking, and some other brand I can't remember right now are the 3 brands that seem to work. it's getting harder and harder to find these cards, even on Ebay.

good luck stimpy, i think u are in the same boat as me.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Cruisin'

thanks UNLC. you may be right. but the thing is, i have like 5 different sets of regional files, from 5 different sources. one set, i got from a CF replacement drive that was WORKING in some girl's TL - and one of the others is from my old hard drive. none of them work right now. so it's more likely it's the brand problem, rather than missing/bad files...right?

i am going to try bob_f's suggestion...*SIGH*...when i work up the motivation. that girl's CF card was a Kingston card. it looks like Kingston, Viking, and some other brand I can't remember right now are the 3 brands that seem to work. it's getting harder and harder to find these cards, even on Ebay.

good luck stimpy, i think u are in the same boat as me.

Here is the card that I got from Staples.com and it works.
* I did not re-format the card or anything. I simply extract all the files into the CF card.

Staples Link

If you are Staples Premier Member, you can get free shipping on all order. Also, you can use 3x $3 ink coupon to drop the price of this 512MB CF card.

UPDATE:
Thanks to UNLC: I have all the region files now.

All Region Files Link

Good Luck
Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Instructor

thanks for the staples link. i just ordered one, hope it works this time.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Staples has the 512mb compact flash for $7.49 after rebate and if you are a premier member, you can have it shipped to you for free.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Yup

thanks sky2002. i ordered one, too. fingers crossed...we'll see in a week what happens.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 AM
6th Gear

HINT FOR FORMATING

I'm an IT guy and I just bought a 99 TL with a failing hd. I had a tough time with this one but if any of you are wondering why win98> formatting works, it's because the default formatting cluster size in these operating systems is 8kb. So, don't bend over backwards to get win98 or win95. If you have a partitioning program, you should be able to specify in that application that you want fat16 with 8kb cluster size. It took me a bit of guessing to figure this out!

Thank you so much everyone for posting the navigation files. I'm so excited to finally have a working nav.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Yup

blazenhazan...you're the man. so any partitioning program will give the user options for formatting, and a cluster size that's applied during formatting? i think i have partitionmagic somewhere.

btw, for anyone else, the edge brand from staples that sky2002 recommended works.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
That was my Jeep :(

Originally Posted by sky2002
I have moved the files into a folder:

http://www.mansjur.net/Acura/
VERY COOL, Thank you.
My NAVI is working... but you never know what is going to happen in the future, it is nice to have all of the regions saved on my computer now
Old 12-21-2007, 03:21 AM
Instructor

btw, for anyone else, the edge brand from staples that sky2002 recommended works.
yeah mine did too
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
6th Gear

Yes. Partitonmagic should allow you to select 8kb cluster size.

Also win95 and win98 will work. Windows 98 SE will not work and I'm fairly certain that ME won't either.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Kooza_K2O

if Any one have the Florida region can u send me it please?? i think its a 8
Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kooza-K2o
if Any one have the Florida region can u send me it please?? i think its a 8
You don't need anyone to send you the files. Look for the download link a couple of posts up.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

tried and still not working

Hi Bob
I'm not sure if you had try the edge brand that Sky & fuzzy mentioned? I had been through the 2nd one and still not working! 1st one freeze on the globe and 2nd one keeps on the reboot o.k. thing. I had format it through the control panel, admin tools, computer mgm't, then disk mgm't and format option Fat and 8kb size. but still not working. Any advice?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Blazenhazan
Yes. Partitonmagic should allow you to select 8kb cluster size.

Also win95 and win98 will work. Windows 98 SE will not work and I'm fairly certain that ME won't either.
Hey Blazenhazan,
Don't need part-magic to format it. Windows can do it all along!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:31 PM
6th Gear

Sweet! I think i tried 98 se and failed and this was easier. Glad to hear that worked for you.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

hi guys, sorry to bring this up, but i tried to format with windows xp, but it only allows me to go as low as 16kb per cluster size.

and i can't get partition magic to recognize my CF card as a removable media.

any ideas?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Who
4th Gear

I know that all the regions are linked above. I was able to obtain all EXCEPT for the one I really needed. Region 2 does download, but when I try to extract it, it says it is corrupt. Does anyone have a functioning region 2 that I could get?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Instructor

I can take care of you Who.

Try this link.

If that doesn't work, I have another link I can send you. Just let me know.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Who
4th Gear

region 2

Thank you so much. I could not believe how difficult or expensive it was becoming to locate maps for a car that I did not think was that old. This thread really saved the day. Thank you all so much. Now I have all I will ever need.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Region2

Can someone repost Region 2 again. Its the one I need too and the one I downloaded is corrupt when I try to extract it.

Thanks!

jaro920
Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys, I am having the same problem, the HD from the 99 TL completely crashed and I can't get the files, would some one be kind enough to let me download the files for California so that I can put it on a CF card? Thanks much in advance.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hengilinov
Hi guys, I am having the same problem, the HD from the 99 TL completely crashed and I can't get the files, would some one be kind enough to let me download the files for California so that I can put it on a CF card? Thanks much in advance.
The link still works its up top but for the lazy

Now i had a thought maybe i missed someone asking this but is it possible to use a all in one PCMCIA adapter and use lets say a micro sd, or memory stick?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlzib
The link still works its up top but for the lazy

Now i had a thought maybe i missed someone asking this but is it possible to use a all in one PCMCIA adapter and use lets say a micro sd, or memory stick?
I haven't seen any reports of any flash media working other than a 512MB Compact Flash card. But it would be easy enough to try if you have the parts.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Well i finally read all the threads on this and actually tried it and dammittt it didn't work. I'm just curious as to when you try and reformat in XP 16kb is the lowest you can go not 8kb as mentioned. This question was already asked but not answered. I used a edge brand i ordered from ecost cause staples says item sold out not available.

Without formatting it i got a press ok to update screen, then i tried to format but used 16kb cluster because the 8kb option was not there and that format got me on the frozen globe screen.

I just ordered a different card/brand on ebay to try again lot cheaper btw. That edge one costs $20 shipped so if this next one don't work i might try for the 3rd and last time. Any input would be much appreciated and my bad for bringing this thread back.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tlzib
Well i finally read all the threads on this and actually tried it and dammittt it didn't work. I'm just curious as to when you try and reformat in XP 16kb is the lowest you can go not 8kb as mentioned. This question was already asked but not answered. I used a edge brand i ordered from ecost cause staples says item sold out not available.

Without formatting it i got a press ok to update screen, then i tried to format but used 16kb cluster because the 8kb option was not there and that format got me on the frozen globe screen.

I just ordered a different card/brand on ebay to try again lot cheaper btw. That edge one costs $20 shipped so if this next one don't work i might try for the 3rd and last time. Any input would be much appreciated and my bad for bringing this thread back.
It may just be that another brand or model of CF card will work fine. So good luck with the second one you have on the way.

In my case, the first CF card that I tried wouldn't work while the second did. I didn't do any special formatting to either card. But it's possible that the cards were formatted differently. (I think I swapped the first card with one that I was using in a digital camera.)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Just an update, I ended up ordering a new card from ebay $10 bucks shipped brand was PNY cause the edge brand didn't work. Weird thing is my navi has been out for sometime and the 1st time I tried the edge brand i guess for some weird reason my original hard drive started working again. So today i copied the files to the PNY and it works great no formatting needed. It took a couple of cards payed $30 in the end for both so well worth it. Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for the help you all are a bunch of cool cats.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
3rd Gear

I tried downloading Region 2 but it is not decompressing correctly. I think the file is corrupt. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by purplepalace
I tried downloading Region 2 but it is not decompressing correctly. I think the file is corrupt. Anyone else have this problem?
Which link did you try? Some people reported issues with the Region 2 files that were posted by Sky (post #87). But I posted them earlier for someone else (post #103) and they should decompress fine.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear

I saw a link earlier for http://www.mansjur.net/Acura/. I didn't see any link posted on line 103. I did try downloading region 1 just to make sure my computer isn't messed up and that one decompressed fine. Could you repost if I have the wrong link?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Try this one:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T...SEJ0Ni9IRGc9PQ
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear

When I click it, it says that the link has expired. could you try again?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

I agree with others who have posted above. The Region 2 file (ADB0852 / NM005) on www.mansjur.net/Acura is corrupt (zip file dated 22-Oct-2007). The file downloads, but won't unzip.

FuzzyNuts - the link you posted on yousendit is also expired. If you can renew or repost that for me, I'd appreciate it.

Does anyone have the newest version of the Northeast file (ADB0857 / NE007 from Dec 2002)? The file on www.mansjur.net/Acura is old (ADB0717 / NE005 from Oct 2000).

Thanks to all who have posted on here over the years. You've been a great help to me in getting my Dad's GPS going again.

Steve
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
10th Gear

Does anyone have a new link to get all the regions? I tried all of the above links and they either say that they are expired or the page just won't pull up.

Pls help
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 AM
10th Gear

Also is it possible to put multiple regions on one CF instead of having one per region?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dirtbikridr
Also is it possible to put multiple regions on one CF instead of having one per region?
Everything that I've read about this indicates that you can't load more than one region.

If you'd like more than one region, the only known solution is to install one of the DVD-based units from a 2000-2003 TL.

Quick Reply: 99 TL Navigation Help