92K miles and the fat lady starting singing (tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92K miles and the fat lady starting singing (tranny)

Well guys, the fat lady is singing loud and clear. I would have never thought it would happen to me but it did. 92K miles later on my 99 TL and my tranny decides to call it quits. Since I know half of you guys can't read anything without naked pictures of girls on it, I will give a cliffnote version:

- been having hard shifts for a while
- drove down to florida from jersey for a week
- tranny slipped somewhere in north carolina
- made it home
- car is at PAA waiting for a replacement tranny

For the rest, here is my story:

I have been having hard shifts (from P to R to D) for quite a while now. But I didn't want to admit it was the tranny. So I left it as it was. Just last week, I drove my car down to Florida. The whole trip down (18 hrs) went as smooth as a baby's ass. The whole week down there and there was no sign of my tranny slipping. So as I was driving back Saturday night, everything was fine. Then around Sunday morning at 7 am, I pulled over for gas. As I started the car again, I noticed the CEL came on. But I remember tightening the gas cap really good. So I thought that was the reason so I just blew it off. But as I put it in D and press the gas, guess what happens...ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY NOTHING! The tach went up but the car stood still. Then ~5 seconds later the gear decided to kick in. I know a few have had their tranny dump on them from like 3rd to 1st so I had a decision to make. Since it was a sunday, all the dealers were closed. So I called a local repair shop that was open on sunday but he won't be in until 8am. So I decided to call him on the phone. Thank god he picked up the phone. He told me that he did not have the machine to read the CEL code. Mind you, I am in the middle of hicktown North Carolina. Knowing that the towing bill will probably cost more than my life and since my car was loaded with a bunch of luggage and gifts, I decided to take the chance. I drove about 80 mph the whole way home from North Carolina. Thank god my tranny held up. I was shitting brick the whole ride. I held the steering wheel firm too just in case the tranny decideds to take a crap on me, but it didn't.

So now it is at PAA waiting for a replacement tranny. I wanted to get the 04 TL as a loaner but I couldn't since it will probably be close to a week without my car. So I got a 04 ford explorer from enterprise. All I have to pay for is gas.

Half of me is pissed off but the other half is glad it did before the 100K miles warranty run out.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
bummer. atleast you made it home!
i had a similar experiance coming home from a vacation knowing it was going to die. it made it home but the next day (mon) i got about 25 miles down the road and it died on me on the freeway (my acura dealer is a hour and 30-40 min drive) luckily i was paying attention to the gauges and saw/cought it before it dumped into 2nd gear