6000k or 8000k?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do 6k. 8k too blue IMO. anything above 6k is a no go for me.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
i just posted against that mentality.

5-6k is limit for me because im not going FOR the blue thing, the headlights are just much more appealing when you get away from the yellow color.. i much prefer a whiter headlight, maybe with the slightest hint of blue

im ok with the output loss on a minimal level. otherwize its pointless to have HIDs.. but do they HAVE to be equal to the sun on the road at night? absoultely not
How did you with this statement ??
trading off some performance for color on HID's is completely acceptable imo.
Originally Posted by tegkid

3000k is brighter than 4300k.
I guess all the experts are wrong
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tegkid

3000k is brighter than 4300k.
remember back in science class when they taught us that white light is the absence of no colors? How, then, can you take the stance that yellow output (which is yellow due to losing color, i.e. brightness) is brighter than white?

Originally Posted by '03TL-S
Any pics of your modded projectors?
I haven't fired 'em up for some time. I'll get some and send em to you. They are color modded, not in my 2g . . . yet.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I have dead hookers in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07HONDATL
umm i dont have VTEC decals on my car ne more plz dont make assumptions when u dont know what ur talking about and feel free to shut ur big mouth at anytime..i took those stickers off a while ago and was just something to try out and ud be surprised how many people tried telling me my car doesnt have VTEC..And theres alot of kids that feel it necesary to run 20 or even 30 k hids who are u to judge its there money they do what they want..

AND Again VVVV NO VTEC stickers
First point--- I was just basing my information off of the information you provide about your own car in your signature. If you dont have them then good.

second point. I never judged you. I judged the decisions you made for your car as far as lighting only by saying it is not safe. When i say not safe i am refering to the fact that headlights with a low light output can and will cause your eyes to strain even if you dont notice it. That in turn will make your eyes tired which in makes you tired. 12K=not safe. your car do what you want
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
How did you with this statement ??
trading off some performance for color on HID's is completely acceptable imo.
5-6k is minimal light difference.. most people wouldnt be able to tell.. and im ok with THAT amount of light loss

i guess im all about the 30k though
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
4th Gear

$30 bulbs

I have a 1 year warr. from metrodecals.com so far they are great bulbs (6000k), side by side to 2006 350z mine are brighter looking.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
4300k...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

5-6k is minimal light difference.. most people wouldnt be able to tell.. and im ok with THAT amount of light loss

i guess im all about the 30k though
Most people that live in the city with all the street lights probably cant tell, but in the country when there are no lights they can. Park cars side by side and see which one has better lighting. 4300 will be it. Also in foul weather there is a larger distinction between the 2 concerning usable light.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
The Dumb One

Most people that live in the city with all the street lights probably cant tell, but in the country when there are no lights they can. Park cars side by side and see which one has better lighting. 4300 will be it. Also in foul weather there is a larger distinction between the 2 concerning usable light.
most of the streets here are paved so dark that you would only be able to see squat with 3000...

you can only see in small city driving, and thats due to the streetlights.. idk what bright person decided to redo all the roads from greyish pavement to black tar crap
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bibledriver

I haven't fired 'em up for some time. I'll get some and send em to you. They are color modded, not in my 2g . . . yet.
Send 'em please.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

most of the streets here are paved so dark that you would only be able to see squat with 3000...

you can only see in small city driving, and thats due to the streetlights.. idk what bright person decided to redo all the roads from greyish pavement to black tar crap
98% of our roads are blacktop and i can tell you that 4300k is far better than halogen (3k) If 3 k was better for visibility thats what auto manufacturers would put in cars. Plain and simple stock produces more usable light.

Now in inclement weather like fog and snow the yellow does help out better than white
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
The Dumb One

98% of our roads are blacktop and i can tell you that 4300k is far better than halogen (3k) If 3 k was better for visibility thats what auto manufacturers would put in cars. Plain and simple stock produces more usable light.

Now in inclement weather like fog and snow the yellow does help out better than white
never argued that?

i agree lol

but for black top, at least for me. my accord and the woman's civic show better with just halogens. guess i could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Something is missing...my

when it all comes down, the road is only sometimes what you are needing to see . . . Really what we want to see is something ON the road, be it traveling or not, color of road may or may not bring out the brightness emitted, but if there is something on it (stripes, cars, person, animal) you will still be better off with the brightest output . . .Think we know which one that is . . .
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
(ಠДಠ)

3000K only put them in your fogs, or else they attract attention.
4300K is stock. ew. practical, yes. sexy? no.
5000K is really white
6000K has a blue tint at some angles.
8000K is borderline ricey.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Regarding 3000k...on another board the "lighting forum" moderator pretty much said that yellow light (something about a dichroic filtered light) is actually worse than just using white. Does this apply to HID light?

Also TequiLa....in CA, I checked DMV's vehicle code..any light emitted from the front may be white or yellow...so I had ALL three lights with yellow bulbs. My lows, highs AND fogs were all yellow. I never got pestered by ANYONE in law enforcement. I even had the VC number memorized back then..LOL

Anyway, I've been told that my lights don't look as bright as they should....even when I told them it came w/ HID from the factory. Should I be in the market for replacements now? I mean, my car's an '02 and I'm pretty sure the previous owner never had to change them. Do these HID bulbs REALLY last 7 yrs?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 AM
I have dead hookers in

Dichroic filters

A dichroic filter or thin-film filter is a very accurate color filter used to selectively pass light of a small range of colors while reflecting other colors. By comparison, Dichroic mirrors and dichroic reflectors tend to be characterized by the color(s) of light that they reflect, rather than the color(s) they pass. (See dichroism for the etymology of the term)
Used before a light source, a dichroic filter produces light that is perceived by humans to be highly saturated (intense) in color. Although costly, such filters are popular in architectural and theatrical applications.
Used behind a light source, dichroic reflectors commonly reflect visible light forward while allowing the invisible infrared light (radiated heat) to pass out of the rear of the fixture, resulting in a beam of light that is "cooler". Many quartz halogen bulbs have an integrated dichroic reflector for this purpose, being originally designed for use in slide projectors to avoid melting the slides, but now widely used for interior home and commercial lighting.
Dichroic filters use the principle of interference. Alternating layers of an optical coating are built up upon a glass substrate, selectively reinforcing certain wavelengths of light and interfering with other wavelengths. The layers are usually deposited in a vacuum. By controlling the thickness and number of the layers, the frequency (wavelength) of the passband of the filter can be tuned and made as wide or narrow as desired. Because unwanted wavelengths are reflected rather than absorbed, dichroic filters don't absorb this unwanted energy during operation and so don't become nearly as hot as the equivalent conventional filter (which attempts to absorb all energy except for that in the passband). (See Fabry-Pérot interferometer for a mathematical description of the effect.)
Where white light is being deliberately separated into various color bands (for example, within a color video projector or color television camera), the similar dichroic prism is used instead.

Advantages of dichroic filters

• Much better filtering characteristics than conventional filters
  • Ability to easily fabricate a filter to pass any passband frequency and block a selected amount of the stopband frequencies (saturation)
  • Because light in the stopband is reflected rather than absorbed, there is much less heating of the dichroic filter than with conventional filters
  • Much longer life than conventional filters; the color is intrinsic in the construction of the hard microscopic layers and cannot "bleach out" over the lifetime of the filter (unlike for example, gel filters)
  • Filter will not melt or deform except at very high temperatures (many hundreds of degrees Celsius)
  • Capable of achieving extremely high laser damage thresholds (dichroics are used for all the mirrors on the world's most powerful laser, the National Ignition Facility)

Disadvantages of dichroic filters

• Higher initial cost (sometimes much higher)
  • Glass dichroic filters are more fragile than plastic conventional filters
  • Glass dichroic filters are harder to work with than plastic conventional filters
  • Can reflect light back into an optical system
  • Specific bandpass depends on incidence angle (can be an advantage in some applications where in-situ tuning is desirable)

There are some good and bad things about dichoric filters. When it comes down to the nitty gritty of it, There are opinions on whats safer/better but i honestly think if you stick to 3000K-5000K you will be fine and look good at the same time.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Instructor

I'm debating between OE (if I can find a deal), the Kaixen 5000k (through Excelerate) for the lows...and keeping my 3000ks in the fogs. Then depending on what I get for the lows I'd like to get something that "resembles" them in the high beams...if it's possible.. Don't know if I'd like to go HID in highs since I rarely use them in Los Angeles.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I have dead hookers in

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
I'm debating between OE (if I can find a deal), the Kaixen 5000k (through Excelerate) for the lows...and keeping my 3000ks in the fogs. Then depending on what I get for the lows I'd like to get something that "resembles" them in the high beams...if it's possible.. Don't know if I'd like to go HID in highs since I rarely use them in Los Angeles.

both the OEM and Kaixen 5K kit are nice and they are a great combo with 3000K fogs.

HIDs in the high beams would simply be a waste considering the normal person rarely uses them.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

what a bunch of tools..lol.
Says who?

To the OP: I say 6000k. That's what I have and they're bright, they light up the road really good and they look nice. I've seen 8000k and it looks gay...
Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
2013 RL or bust

I saw some stupid scion driving on the highway the other night.. thing must of had at least 8k, but prob like 12k, and I drove side by side with them for a bit... they couldn't see shit compared to my stock 4300k.

Note: I was THIS close to throwing my Wendy's trash out my window in front of them.

Those bright ass blue lights are obnoxious, and make me wanna throw things at their car.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Hey ArTL-S...I've heard that yellow colored light, even for fogs...are counter productive since it has something to do w/ the filtered light being dichroic....so, why do all "real fog" lights come w/ yellow or amber external lens? Are those just filter lens? And are my 3000k lights actually doing anything to help see in inclement weather?

Added: I just looked in earlier posts in this thread and realized you already answered part of my question regarding yellow light (being dichroic filtered light) for inclement weather. But what I fail to understand is does this same concept apply to HID lights?

Last edited by mestizoracer310; 03-14-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the HID lows last about 2500 hours of use
They get dimmer and color change with end of life
No reason to put anything fancy in the highs- since they come on with the lows- they add so little its a joke
Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

Congrats 07HONDATL you are the first person I add to my ignore list.

Headlights are for seeing what's in front of you. Some people fail to understand that. I don't wish any form of physical injury upon anyone, so I suggest those people wake up before they end up in a ditch.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM
ShellZV6

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGTUFFGUY
Congrats 07HONDATL you are the first person I add to my ignore list.

Headlights are for seeing what's in front of you. Some people fail to understand that. I don't wish any form of physical injury upon anyone, so I suggest those people wake up before they end up in a ditch.

Congrats i could CARE LESS..lol
Old 03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
(ಠДಠ)

3000K's in your low's are definitely illegal. My friend got a ticket for it, and we're from San Diego. Anything that's not OEM for your car is considered illegal from what I've heard. So it's only legal to have 4300k HID's in the low beam and halogens in the fog for the 02-03 TL's. Cops won't bug you if you have 5000K's, but if you have 3000K low's... they'll catch you eventually, and if you don't, you're lucky. 5 low 3 fog or 6 low 3 fog looks the cleanest imho, as long as you have 1157 LED turn signals and 194/163 corner bulbs.

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
Regarding 3000k...on another board the "lighting forum" moderator pretty much said that yellow light (something about a dichroic filtered light) is actually worse than just using white. Does this apply to HID light?

Also TequiLa....in CA, I checked DMV's vehicle code..any light emitted from the front may be white or yellow...so I had ALL three lights with yellow bulbs. My lows, highs AND fogs were all yellow. I never got pestered by ANYONE in law enforcement. I even had the VC number memorized back then..LOL

Anyway, I've been told that my lights don't look as bright as they should....even when I told them it came w/ HID from the factory. Should I be in the market for replacements now? I mean, my car's an '02 and I'm pretty sure the previous owner never had to change them. Do these HID bulbs REALLY last 7 yrs?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Instructor

whats in them new infinitis they look extra blue at night what are they 8k or 10k
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Tom

whats in them new infinitis they look extra blue at night what are they 8k or 10k
Part of the "blue" effect from those luxury cars are because of their "high quality" projector not from the bulb. That why its reflecting light from far away make you see it "blue" but when you get closer to it or sit behind the steering wheel, you see it "white". They're only 4300K bulb!
I just replaced the OEM with HID kit (4300K) bulbs for my Odyssey van and I driven all night from Texas to Florida and man, I can tell you that, the whiter, the better. The first sign (and my wife's also agreed) is it won't fatigued your eyes. Not at all!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

^X1,0000000000000000000000000000000000.....i had 8K's for shits and giggles and my eyes were hurting...i put my 5K's back on and i was like damn i shouldve never did that..lol..
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by shizzytheking
i think part of it is the lamps... if you notice some of the luxury cars have this wierd rainbow/chemical colored lamps when you get up close to them.. i think at night it may have a slight effect to the way the lights look from different angles... the lamps are swirled with blue,purple and orange colors.. unlike the clear ones we have...

Congrats i could CARE LESS..lol
you DO realize that he didnt see that, hence the "ignored list" comment...
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
ShellZV6

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
o well.again i could care less if he reads it or not i dont know him like he was hurting my feelings or something..lol
Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the HID lows last about 2500 hours of use
They get dimmer and color change with end of life
No reason to put anything fancy in the highs- since they come on with the lows- they add so little its a joke
Sorry, should've been more specific. I'm not putting HID in the highs. I just want one of those other bulbs that "match" the color so it doesn't look "funny" if I've got my lows and highs on at the same time.

Also, would you know the answer to the dichroic filter stuff in regards to HID bulbs? I really need to know....
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

^ when ur highs are on ur lows turn off and it would be pretty hard to get the same color effect since HID runs on a completely different system than halogen..u could do the mod when u turn ur highs on ur lows stay on...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
^ when ur highs are on ur lows turn off and it would be pretty hard to get the same color effect since HID runs on a completely different system than halogen..u could do the mod when u turn ur highs on ur lows stay on...
or turn the high's on, then when u go to turn it off, pull and hear the click; dont release and voila! kinda ghetto though hahahah
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

8k way to go i got 8k fog and low beam and its great
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Notorious7645
8k way to go i got 8k fog and low beam and its great
yeah, then switch back to 4300k and realize how much light output you've been missing
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Smile

well i have 12k and there not reatarded and they dont blind ne one. there are diffrent brands off hids ive seen ppl with 20K or 30K and those are just reatarded and way to bright and those blind ppl.. i dont like purple hids either i think there gay period..when i bought mine i went with 12 because i wanted alil white with a hint of blue and thats what i got there bright and i can see 10 times better with them then my stock halogens..so its all in a persons oppinion..i dont think any one wanting there car to look good with any color hid or k is reatarded..

basically shocker its your car put whatever u want on ur car everyone is gonna have mixed feelings about color and k and all this BS do what u want. whatever u like not what ne one else thinks..
The thing is that 12K it has a BLUE Over-Kill color and its overboard the Black-gama color spectrum so you have succesfully annihilated performance from them i can assure you that anyone with 5000K that line up with your car will give at most 3x time more light output than yours. 12K is for show off only they dont work for lighting up the road since most roads are Black your blue lights blend with them giving the impression that you arent brighting up anything at all.

Also Blue HID are automatically discovered from the Cops since no Auto-maker use BLUE color in any car for their HIDs. That actually are normal Headlight no Projector!
the cops will know that you illegally modified your Intended Halogen Stocks Headlights (Honda Accord). Audis for example use 4300K or 3200/Lm but the Projector gives the impression that the light is Ice-blue (8000K) in the headlight but the actual output is white on the road (5000K) Normal Headlights doesnt do that they will give you actual color in Headlight and on the Road, For 4300K that is Ambar or Pinkish. Thats why we Change the stocks no one likes ambar, i now i dont!

For me my color is Ice-Blue i have 8000K or 3000/Lm in my car and it goes nowhere near the Super Blue-ish of 12K. if 10K is around 2300/Lm output just what do you think 12K give you? lows 1900/Lm

You need to understand that our cars TLs came with HIDs as OEM (4300K or 3200/Lm basically the Most Light Output possibly) so our cars are basically just changing Bulbs (actually degrading performance for looks/color) your car came with Stocks Halogens SO your actually Mod your headlights (To gain Performance output) for the Cost around 90$Kit your Spectrum Lm arent upgrading from the Stock Halogen Bulb around 1500-1800/Lm so you basically are just changing color and getting just little Lm boost.

Last edited by Skirmich; 01-27-2010 at 12:03 AM.