6-speed Type S coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 6-speed Type S coming soon...

I was told my someone who is definitely "in the know" that a 6-speed manual will be available in the CL/TL Type S in August... so if you're holding out you've only got a few more months to go.

I'll post more info as I get it

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
AEM CAI
Old 04-14-2001, 05:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
How do you know?? Spill the beans!! Who's your source dammit!!!

That's it -- shoot him in the foot -- we'll get him to talk.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up

I read that somewhere about 2 months ago. I believe it is true...

:-jon
Old 04-14-2001, 06:38 PM
Safety Car

Well, eye-for-an-eye -- as far as Acura is concerned -- I think the new Max will have a serious run for its money
Old 04-14-2001, 06:43 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by oblio98:
I read that somewhere about 2 months ago. I believe it is true...

where did you read that?
Old 04-14-2001, 07:57 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Arrow

I'll try and find it, but it was something like "... the TL-S will be offered in a 5 Speed automatic, and later in the year as a 6-Speed manual." It was in a magazine, like C&D, R&T, or MT....

Old 04-14-2001, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Very nice! Any word on an AWD system? =)

But there probably won't be much performance differences there will it? I heard that automatics these days are so good that the performance and gas you save is at most very minimal. (shrug?)

Lastly, I wonder if Acura will lower the price for the manual version...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by dcdomain on April 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-14-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by dcdomain:

But there probably won't be much performance differences there will it? I heard that automatics these days are so good that the performance and gas you save is at most very minimal. (shrug?)

All automatic versions (except maybe the Ferrari auto-manual transmission) would have performance penalties due to there being a torque-converter in the picture, unlike a manual where there is a direct mechanical linkage between the shifter and the gears. So the manual will be leagues better with regards to performance. Gas mileage in the automatic can be improved with very tall upper gears however....

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-15-2001, 02:09 AM

Yep, it's the same tranny that is used in the upcoming Acura RS-X. Honda knows how to build pretty beefy units. This is good news for the guys that will modifiy the RS-Xs because the TL-S has quite a bit more torque than that high sprung 200hp 4 banger.

I feel REALLY sorry for the poor saps that just bought TL-Ss. A performance sedan is never really a performance sedan until you have the control of a manual. I would have NEVER considered a Maxima if it didn't come with a manual. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 speed will be good for 14.4-14.5s@98mph. The 1st gear launch is where the manual will have the significant advantage.

Dave

------------------
96 Maxima SE
14.73@93.93mph
y-pipe, b-pipe, drop-in filter
Old 04-15-2001, 03:52 AM

i dont think tl-s or cl-s ever will come out with manual. tl-s is a luxury cruiser, not a sports car. Acura will never make tls manual. Never
Old 04-15-2001, 05:20 AM
Instructor

Luxury crusier only? If so, I don't think there would have been a need for the Type-S variation.

Given the toughness of the market in the coming months, it would be Acura's best interest to diversify their offerings, and if they can use the RS-X's tranny, then it's a no brainer.

Now all we got to do is see if they'll stick the MDX's AWD system in there.
Old 04-15-2001, 02:35 PM
Instructor

This 6spd/5spd news on TL-S are making me very upset. I've been a manual trans driver for over 10 years, and I'm 25. I love manual trans and this TL-S is the first automatic car that I ever had. Well, let's say semi-automatic, even though I truly think that SS is for kids

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean Blue Pearl. Underbody Kit, Spoiler

"260 Horsepower of maximum performance. This is BLUE SUNSHINE!" - Thunderkiss '02
Sweet!!!
Old 04-15-2001, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got the information from Doug, the service manager at my local dealership. Now, I know what you're all thinking... but this particular dealership is VERY serious about performance (they gave birth to the 3.5L Type S) and Doug is very in tune with Acura's product line. He also mentioned that there is a distinct possibility that the manual tranny will also feature a limited-slip differential. Awesome news, to say the least!

As a side note, I seriously doubt that this will be the same 6-speed transmission from the RSX Type S. Even assuming that the transmission-end of the block is the same between J and K motors, those powerplants (The RSX's) are very peaky so the transmissions have very closely spaced and very short ratios which wouldn't take full advantage of the TL-S' wide powerband... so at the very least they'd have different gear ratios. With that said... for the new TL-S 6-speed I really hope they've seen the light and keep the final drive relatively short short (maybe a little taller than the current TL), give us nice, progressively-spaced ratios on 1-4, a 1:1 or slightly taller (.85:1 or so) 5th and a nice tall 6th for cruising. I'm salivating in anticipation for this car!

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
AEM CAI
Old 04-15-2001, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

Can you imagine a 6-speed TL-S w/ headers, CAI, and exhaust kit? How about just headers alone? I think it'll be pulling Mid 5's in the 0-60 and very low 14's 1/4 mile. Plus, the daily commute will be MUCH more aggressive now that you can run the manual like we all wish we could run the SS -- and to be able to keep the car driving very close to its power band ... <sigh>
Old 04-16-2001, 08:51 AM

I'm not in the mood for a manual.

I like my yuppie stick just fine.
Old 04-16-2001, 09:11 AM

I know alot of folks prefer manuals, but the manual-automatic's are getting alot better... Audi is about to introduce the "multitronic" tranny (to replace its current tiptronic) that shifts as fast as a manual and depending on the driver, faster and smoother. If they got the gearing worked out it could be quite good.
Not saying that an automatic can ever replace the "fun" of a manual, but for performance only arguments technology is closing the gap.
Just waiting to sell the A4 now, then i will be an aegean blue driver.

Darren

aka Foo
Old 04-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Racer

Why would you put a 6MT on a FWD family car?
Why can't they just do it right and design a real sports seden?
Anyway, I still prefer my TL-S in 5AT
Old 04-16-2001, 02:12 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by FlyingPig:
Why would you put a 6MT on a FWD family car?
Why can't they just do it right and design a real sports seden?
Anyway, I still prefer my TL-S in 5AT
thats like asking why would you put a 6MT into a 540 or a an M5... cuz it only makes it better in terms of performance... and FWD is better in the snow

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs / Comptech Headers
------------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers / 20% Tint all-around

-------------
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 04-16-2001, 02:51 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I'm talking about. All wheel drive or rear wheel drive. But I think it will be almost impossible since they would have to relocate the engine from sideway to straight. If rear wheel drive then more power for acceleration and better weight distribution. If all whell drive then awsome driving, but a lot heavier.

From this:

0 - 0

To this:

0 | 0

The 0 are the wheels and - | engine

Still 6 speed manual is a very good thing.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by dcdomain on April 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bitium on April 16, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bitium on April 16, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, the RealTime 4WD system in the CR-V and the VTM-4 system in the MDX work with the engine mounted transversely. Generally speaking, most AWD/4WD cars that have longitudinally-mounted engines are ones that started out as RWD, or ones that have RWD variants.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
AEM CAI
Old 04-16-2001, 03:07 PM
Retired MOD

Good to know. I wasn't sure. But it is better is they would mount the engine longitudinally for side to side wheight distribution. Since you mention that, then they should be able to do a AWD without any problems. Thanks for your comments.

Originally posted by RAdams:
Actually, the RealTime 4WD system in the CR-V and the VTM-4 system in the MDX work with the engine mounted transversely. Generally speaking, most AWD/4WD cars that have longitudinally-mounted engines are ones that started out as RWD, or ones that have RWD variants.

Old 04-16-2001, 05:37 PM
Instructor

There are plenty of examples of cars that started out as FWD that went to AWD, that are also transversely mounted. The Audi TT quattro, and the Volvo V70XC, both started life as transversely mounted FWD, both now have a version of the Haldex AWD system. The Volkswagen Bora(jetta) w/ VR6 has this same system. The Civic Wagon from way back when, the above mentioned CRV and RAV4. The Celica ALLTRAC. The DiamondStars Elipse and Talon AWDs.

It is not impossible to have the TL(S) as an AWD car. All it would require is a little massaging of the floor pan so that you get all that stuff to fit under the car and have it look like a car not an Outback SUS. All it really takes is Honda wanting to produce an AWD sports sedan, they have the parts for it in the MDX, they have a Six Speed that can handle the power in the NSX.

I have been wanting to get a TL type-S, but I think I will wait and see if any of these "rumors" come true.

Lets hope that they do!
Old 04-16-2001, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

I was thinking about the whole manual thing with the TL-s and then the thought of the hand brake occured to me, dont manual's generally have a hand brake vs the foot parking brake in the TL's and CL's? They would have to redo the entire center console to make a manual work with a hand brake....

just a thought...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by White 2K01 CL on April 16, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-16-2001, 08:21 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Actually, it's NOT necessary to be that way! For example, Mercedes-Benz equipped with manual trannies still have foot operated parking-brake.

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 04-16-2001, 11:57 PM

Good to see there are lots of people with good taste out in TL Type S's.
I purchased mine last week replacing my 99 TL. Today I switched over my Comptech springs and sway bars from the 99 to the Type S [silver]. Much better handling now but I think I need top replace the shocks.
Naturally right after picking up my car I read this story about a 6 speed TL. Well Acura at least better wait for a year to pass before putting a manual tranny in the TL. If this is true I'll be switching the spring and bars once again.

Old 04-17-2001, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally posted by White 2K01 CL:
I was thinking about the whole manual thing with the TL-s and then the thought of the hand brake occured to me, dont manual's generally have a hand brake vs the foot parking brake in the TL's and CL's? They would have to redo the entire center console to make a manual work with a hand brake....

just a thought...
I'd think that they would move the handbrake to the center console... or at the very least redesign the footbrake of the current models. I was driving home yesterday thinking about how they'd shoehorn a clutch pedal in there and still keep the current footbrake and I can't think of a way that would allow my size 16's to move around down there.

------------------
2000 WDP 3.2TL non-NAV
AEM CAI
Old 04-17-2001, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

ALAS: the 2nd version of the TL-S, and it'll be out in ONLY 4 MONTHS!!!!

Ya think they'll add back Tafetta White, or Laguna Green Metallic???

fingers crossed.

------------------
Old 04-17-2001, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

ALAS: the 2nd version of the TL-S, and it'll be out in ONLY 4 MONTHS!!!!

Ya think they'll add back Tafetta White, or Laguna Green Metallic???

fingers crossed.

------------------
Old 04-17-2001, 01:05 PM
Instructor

fingers are crossed for the anthracite metallic
Old 04-17-2001, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Yeah me too, I like that color!
Old 04-20-2001, 11:08 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
AGREE! I haven't seen that color in person, but in pics , it looks SWEET!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 04-21-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro

Question

Rumors, rumors! How long has Acura been coming out with RWD V8 RL? Years! Anybody who knows the philosophy at Acura knows that this company is very conservative and SLOW to bring about changes. Look at how many other luxury SUV's were out LONG before the MDX. Maybe conservative, but also smart. Acura analyzes the market, and comes along with something better! I remain hopeful that the NEW RL will be better than LS430 and Q-tip 45! Infiniti? NEVER EVER
Old 04-21-2001, 01:38 AM
Safety Car

If you visit Motortrend's site and click on their future speculation page for new autos in '02, '03 and so forth -- they mention the RL with a new V8 and RWD .. but the V8 only produces a lousy 225 horses!!!?? You would think that they would AT LEAST match the 260 horses in the Type S -- or the 320 horses in the new V8 (same engine as RL) NSX!!!

Old 04-21-2001, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Thumbs down

Although a six-speed manual would be fast as hell in this car, I don't think that Acura will sell as many of them compared to an automoatic with Sport Shift. For me, SS is the best thing since sliced bread since I can either manually shift gears or just leave it in full automatic.

I know a few of you guys would love to have a manual tranny and I hope Acura decides to do it, but I think the TL is perfect just the way it is. I definitely would NOT have bought this car if it was only offered with a manual.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by PeterUbers:
If you visit Motortrend's site and click on their future speculation page for new autos in '02, '03 and so forth -- they mention the RL with a new V8 and RWD .. but the V8 only produces a lousy 225 horses!!!?? You would think that they would AT LEAST match the 260 horses in the Type S -- or the 320 horses in the new V8 (same engine as RL) NSX!!!

The 225 horses figure is of the current RL with the V6....the new RL with the V8, will be at least as powerful as the Infiniti Q45 (340 horses).... possibly much more..... also the new NSX (with a sports version of the same 5-valve per cylinder V8), will have something like 385 horses in the regular version and 415 horses in a special sport version...

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires