4th gear slippage..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gear slippage..

So Ive noticed lately that when shifting into 4th, the transmission (or torque converter?) slips a little. I only notice it when giving it a good amount of gas, and it is only the 3-4 shift that is affected. As far as I know, this is not the typical presentation of the notorious transmission troubles of these cars. Never the less, it is usually a sign of transmission trouble to come.

So...... does it sound like my tranny is doomed? AND , what would you guys suggest for a replacement? The dealership already told me it would be about $3500 for a new one installed (if needed). I'm not sure if it is a good idea to throw in a used one, seeing as how you never know how much life a TL tranny has left in it.....

If you could, please only post if you have had experience or at least if you know what you are talking about. It seems that there are often lots of posters without first hand knowledge who are quick to diagnose a "failed transmission" no matter what the symptoms a car is presenting. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
how many miles on the trans?, oil jet kit installed? trans fluid changed 3 qts or more--ever??
trans fluid smells burnt or ok?

Many get lucky with just 3 new qts of HONDA atf
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Team Owner

an 02 would be on the edge of the trans extended warranty- 7.9/109
did you talk to a service writer by calling and asking a trans price, or the MANAGER after discussing goodwill warranty if out of warranty--
dealer has to diagnose failure for any of that to happen, so lets start with the basic breakdown of info that I mentioned in my first post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Team Owner

dealer uses rebuilt units from acura rebuild centers/shops and they come in a new external case with better oil flow passages than your 02 has

rebuilding yours is 2500 and uses the original case

a used/junkyard unit is a risk- these dont like to sit around and you never know how it was running before..was there front end damage that can effect the trans etc.
You might get lucky but the odds are you will be installing a replacement a few times till they send one thats good,,plenty of threads on the subject
Several companies do offer rebuilt on exchange basis too
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
how many miles on the trans?, oil jet kit installed? trans fluid changed 3 qts or more--ever??
trans fluid smells burnt or ok?

Many get lucky with just 3 new qts of HONDA atf
150k mi on car, transmission was replaced by 1st owner sometime before the 60k mi mark. Oil jet kit installed at around 100k mi. Trans fluid FLUSHED by quick lube place at around 100k mi or so. Changed the right way by me at about 140k mi (per acura manual and this forum) using honda atf from the dealership - 3 quarts. I only drained it twice instead of the recommended 3 times though....
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the breakdown of options. I tend to agree with you on the uncertainty of a used tranny. Turns out I have a friend at a Honda dealership that can get me one installed for about $2600. I guess now I just have to decide whether to take it in now, or wait until it fails.....

Also on a side note, after I did my tranny fluid change, I cant get the dipstick to give the reading that I want. If memory serves, Im supposed to drive for 15 min, pull over and turn off the car, and then check the dipstick after wiping once. Im looking for the fluid to be in between the 2 holes, but it always has a good sized "streak" of oil further up the stick (like its too full). It IS just a streak, and does not cover the width of the stick except for down lower where it is supposed to, but it still leaves me puzzled. Im sure I put exactly 3 quarts in. Not sure if this means anything but thought I would add it anyhow.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

ok- lets go back a bit-
any idea why the trans was replaced before an oil jet kit was done? was it a massive failure/breakage of the trans shaft?
that would have been before 2004 recall for oil kit--which would have been warranty replacement

and when you say `Flushed`- do you mean a powered machine or a manual drain and refill same as you did? power flush is a no-no

Note -it will drain up to 3.2 - 3.3 qts if you are patient, so 3 may not have filled it properly

The main body of oil should read `somewhere between the two marks` when checked as you described- the slight edge trail is rundown from the tube- dont count it- only the oil that fully crosses the stick matters
Did that shop use Honda atf ONLY??- many use Dextron3- the very stuff that acura requires a full 3x3 / 12 qt fluid push thru to get all the dex3 out- it eats TL transmissions

try this test for clutchpack wear- speed varies slighty with model/year but basically on a safe road go 25 mph, light throttle in D5 and stand on the gas pedal to the floor and hold it down the whole time-
the trans should do a series of fast positive downshifts- lock into 2nd and launch forward!!
repeat test at 35mph
if there was quick rpm increase on the guage without the car going forward faster- ie trans slippage- you have identified the problem

Take your honda buddy for a test drive before anything more
You may just need to get more clean fluid in it and clean the selenoids of crud
Certainly worth a try if a shop did a wrong fluid change--100 bucks for a full fluid change or 2500 for a trans~

again, ask your buddy for a ride or go to the acura dealer, ask for the trans tech to do a quick test ride rather than dropping it off- as its very hard to feel ,,,that sort of story
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
ok- lets go back a bit-
any idea why the trans was replaced before an oil jet kit was done? was it a massive failure/breakage of the trans shaft?
that would have been before 2004 recall for oil kit--which would have been warranty replacement

and when you say `Flushed`- do you mean a powered machine or a manual drain and refill same as you did? power flush is a no-no

Note -it will drain up to 3.2 - 3.3 qts if you are patient, so 3 may not have filled it properly

The main body of oil should read `somewhere between the two marks` when checked as you described- the slight edge trail is rundown from the tube- dont count it- only the oil that fully crosses the stick matters
Did that shop use Honda atf ONLY??- many use Dextron3- the very stuff that acura requires a full 3x3 / 12 qt fluid push thru to get all the dex3 out- it eats TL transmissions

try this test for clutchpack wear- speed varies slighty with model/year but basically on a safe road go 25 mph, light throttle in D5 and stand on the gas pedal to the floor and hold it down the whole time-
the trans should do a series of fast positive downshifts- lock into 2nd and launch forward!!
repeat test at 35mph
if there was quick rpm increase on the guage without the car going forward faster- ie trans slippage- you have identified the problem

Take your honda buddy for a test drive before anything more
You may just need to get more clean fluid in it and clean the selenoids of crud
Certainly worth a try if a shop did a wrong fluid change--100 bucks for a full fluid change or 2500 for a trans~

again, ask your buddy for a ride or go to the acura dealer, ask for the trans tech to do a quick test ride rather than dropping it off- as its very hard to feel ,,,that sort of story
Ok thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance. In the meantime, just to clarify my problem:
-bought car with 60k (already had 2nd tranny when bought, which was replaced by 1st owner for unknown reason under warranty I would assume)

-got oil jet recall installed at around 90k or so

-car has 150k now

-quickie oil change place changed at around 100k (no idea how or with what type of fluid)

-I changed fluid myself at around 140k (the right way, using honda fluid)

-slip started a few thousand miles ago. ONLY slips shifting into 4th from 3rd under moderate to heavy acceleration. NEVER slipped before I changed the fluid @ 140k..... maybe coincidence...
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
if your tranny is going out heres an option for you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-problems-fixes-70/another-solution-my-auto-cl-guys-758220/