4" exhausts - easy prey for cops???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" exhausts - easy prey for cops???

what do you guys think?

I'm thinking of getting the 4" HKS super drager exhaust...

will cops give me a hard time? I don't want to add something that'll give me too much troubles..

need input thanks

G
Old 07-27-2001, 04:30 AM
...and then there was One

I wish they were. I see/HEAR way too many riced out Civics and the such that drive around, loud *ss exhaust that hardly gives them any HP. In fact, if the pipe is the wrong size, it could actually cause back pressure and take away power. I think they do it because: 1) they do not know it hardly does much for performance; 2)they need attention. I just wish it would get the cops attention. What does the law say the limit is? 95dB? Stupid coffee can mufflers out there creating noise polution in neighborhoods, and we have people getting pulled over for no front plate, headlights cops 'think' are aftermarket and illegal, and other little things.
OK, that's my feelings on mufflers.
2 pennies
To each his own, though.
Old 07-27-2001, 08:40 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I used to my a Greddy Evo on my old accord. It was like at least 4.5" wide tip. I never really had a problem with it. However, I think cops will pull you over if the exhaust is too loud. I had it for a year, became really sick of the annoying growl and finally got rid of it and the car and bought a TLS. And I swear that I will never buy an aftermarket exhaust for my new ride. But sometimes during the summer, I wish I have a big exhaust to rev at little civics and tegs... heheee!!
Old 07-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: 4" exhausts - easy prey for cops???

Originally posted by city001
what do you guys think?

I'm thinking of getting the 4" HKS super drager exhaust...

will cops give me a hard time? I don't want to add something that'll give me too much troubles..

need input thanks

G
There's actually a huge topic about this over at acura-cl.com in the Car Talk forum... you may want to check it out.... One guy has pics of it on his CLS and it actually looks really sweet... it doesn't look like a ricer exhaust... it looks good!! Check it out...
Old 07-27-2001, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Whether you get pulled over or not because of exhaust mods and such all depends on whether or not you have an angel watching over you. I've seen cops drive by cars begging to be pulled over without as much as a looksee. OTOH, I was pulled over once for having a lowered vehicle and modified exhaust; the cop was all ready to give me a ticket but for some reason only known to him let me go. I know I didn't say anything to help my cause because I was trying to talk smart--he asked me if I knew the rule for how much ground clearance is allowed, and I told him that no part of the vehicle can be lower than the lowest portion of the rim. He acknowledged that but also told me that you could still be busted for lowered vehicle by how high your headlights sit; gotta admit he got me there, especially since I forgot all about the headlight height test.

Then he got on me for the exhaust, telling me that the mufflers are basically an empty can (which Trust exhausts are, more or less) and that he could shine a flashlight into the tailpipe and see all the way through. Anyways, I got him to admit that Civics and Integras aren't the only cars with loud exhausts--I mentioned that modified Camaros and Mustangs are just as guilty.

Oh well, I wasn't complaining too much afterwards, since he let me go...

Tony