4-cyl Altima out-turned me

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-cyl Altima out-turned me

There is this curvy ramp I take every morning on the way to work. I feel pretty comfortable going on this ramp at 80mph in my TL-S. 90mph is pushing it.

This morning this Altima was in the right lane, as I was gaining on him in the left lane. He had passed me before (with a cop nearby) and drove pretty aggressively.

So I am gaining in the left lane and he changes into the left lane right in front of my nose without signaling. I flash him a few times and change into right lane and start passing him. To my surprise he is not backing off. We go into the ramp at 90 and I am expecting him to start slowing down like most people. Instead he is accelerating. I hang on with him, side by side but I am starting to feel uncomfortable. Also I am afraid that he is going to lose it and slide out into me (ramp curves to the left and I am in the right lane near a barrier). So I back off and let the nutcase go.

That was quite a surprise for me though that a lowly Altima could do that.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drop your car, add some sways, and get some new tires..
Old 04-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Drop your car, add some sways, and get some new tires..
Yes, do that.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Instructor

YOu guys think anything that cost less than a TL will be outhandled by the TL. There are a lot of things that are faster in a straight line and thru the curves than a TL.

An early 80s/late 70s POS looking Corolla will drive circles around a TL thru the turns. A $2000 mustang will eat a TLS in a drag race.

The point is, the TLs are nice. Heck my wife drives one. But dont' be surprised when XXX-car spanks the crap out of you. You can have a $250k ferrari and get eaten up by a guy in a "sleeper" Civic.

PS: it's the driver also as well
Old 04-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yoda
YOu guys think anything that cost less than a TL will be outhandled by the TL. There are a lot of things that are faster in a straight line and thru the curves than a TL.

An early 80s/late 70s POS looking Corolla will drive circles around a TL thru the turns. A $2000 mustang will eat a TLS in a drag race.

The point is, the TLs are nice. Heck my wife drives one. But dont' be surprised when XXX-car spanks the crap out of you. You can have a $250k ferrari and get eaten up by a guy in a "sleeper" Civic.

That is so true.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:30 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Amen Yoda.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by yoda

Yoda,

I don't think Ruski was necessarily assuming that price had to do with handling. The Altima is not exactly considered a "sports" or "performance" sedan. Its usually listed as competing with the Honda Accord, and the Toyota Camry ... and I think you'd agree neither of those are considered high performance sedans either.

You could guess that the altima was modded... but even so, wouldn't it surprise you? I think I'd be surprised. Being surprised doesn't automatically assume that anyone is being snobby by the way (which is what you kindof ensue in your post).

Its fairly obvious though that there are better cars for performance and handling for less than the TL. Hell a WRX is priced lower than the TL and it will out-handle and out-accelerate a TL-S. The TL is priced to be an economical entry level luxury sedan... Its got a decent amount of horsepower and for the TL Type S model, its got decent handling ... But it doesn't really do great at any one thing. Nobody is disagreeing with that.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Point taken. I didn't mean to infer that Ruski was being a "snob." Rather I was pointing out the the TL isn't the greatest car out there. There will always be something faster, better handling, better looking, more lux, etc.

So to Ruski, I apologize if I implied you were being snobby.

You know, once upon a time, an Accord was an entry level sedan. It is now a rather "lux" sedan. Look at the accords thru it's generation of changes. The size has increased from an econobox sedan to a "lux" sedan. There was was an arm's race. NOw it's an HP race. That Altima can haul ass. It's got a 3.5L (though i don't know how big the motor was in the one Ruski ran into). Performance wise, it's a lot lighter than a TL as well. Thus thru a turn, the driver probably felt more confident. Besides, it's not a matter of car, but a matter of who's a better driver, and who has bigger gonads. Specially when there's a car side by side w/ you thru a turn. You're not 110% sure that guy knows what he's doing. (That's why any racecar driver will tell you they feell safer on a racetrack at speeds vs. driving around with the "people." They knkow what their competitor's skillset is. They dont' know about "joe schmoo" next to you)

Once again I apologize to Ruski. I was just tired of "a lot of people" thinking the TL was the quickest thing out there. (ie, how would my TLS fare against XXX-car). If you wanted a fast car, there are other cars out there to get. A 3500lbs FWD car is not what I'd consider a performance car. (sorry, going off on a tagent here)

Peace, and no insult meant on anyone here. Just need to be more open minded.

PS: my wife's TLS will spank my GSR in a straight line; but my GSR can keep up and pass 350z's and G35's on the track. That of course is not about straight line power. Nor raw handling of the car, but more about the driver. I'd be interested to take the TLS onto the track, but that thing is so heavy!

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Yoda,

I don't think Ruski was necessarily assuming that price had to do with handling. The Altima is not exactly considered a "sports" or "performance" sedan. Its usually listed as competing with the Honda Accord, and the Toyota Camry ... and I think you'd agree neither of those are considered high performance sedans either.

You could guess that the altima was modded... but even so, wouldn't it surprise you? I think I'd be surprised. Being surprised doesn't automatically assume that anyone is being snobby by the way (which is what you kindof ensue in your post).

Its fairly obvious though that there are better cars for performance and handling for less than the TL. Hell a WRX is priced lower than the TL and it will out-handle and out-accelerate a TL-S. The TL is priced to be an economical entry level luxury sedan... Its got a decent amount of horsepower and for the TL Type S model, its got decent handling ... But it doesn't really do great at any one thing. Nobody is disagreeing with that.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Forget about which could do what, but that you are taking ramps at 90+ You folks are really something, hope I never see you on my roads.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Drifting

ya just a little sand on the road or or shoulder & good buy tl. i too have a need for speed, but be safe!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:10 PM
TL-S driver

usually the small the car, the better the handling. When I had the RSX as a loaner, that handles soooo much better then the TL. I don't think the TL was designed to take off/on ramps at 80mph.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Drifting

is it my imagination or haven't i see some 3.5 altimas, & does that 3.5 mean 3.5 litres?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep the altima comes with a 6cly, not sure if it is 3.5 but it was a 3.something. I think it is the same engine in the base maxima.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

That was a garden variety 4-cylinder Altima. I would know - the 6-cylinder has dual exhaust. The one I ran into had single exhaust.

The reason I was surprised was not because of being snobby but because I am used to seeing how usually everyone slows down there and I am ahead of everyone.

Oh, that was not an exit ramp. This one is designed for higher speeds. It flows from a 70mph Aligator Alley into a 65mph Sawgrass Expressway (Route 869 toward Coral Springs and West Palm Beach). Here are some pics.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Drifting

for some reason on my computer i get the boxes with the red x's, but i cant see the picture. What program do i need to download to see these pics? Ive missed a whole lot of pics because of this problem?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle dale
for some reason on my computer i get the boxes with the red x's, but i cant see the picture. What program do i need to download to see these pics? Ive missed a whole lot of pics because of this problem?
do you have a firewall like norton? that could be the cause, i had that issue on the site before
Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

I WAS GONNA WRITE A THREAD THAT MY X5 OUT-HANDLES MY TLS. BUT I GUESS ITS OBVIOUS NOW :smackhead
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
A Civic with decent tires will probably outdo you on a ramp. I know my '88 Accord with proper tires definitely could. OTOH, the TL can do a lot of things those cars can't, such as drive 1000 miles in comfort with power and refinement. Every car has its weaknesses and strengths.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

for some reason the pictures are showing as red Xes.

Here are the direct links:
http://mishopi.image.pbase.com/u22/a...6_6594_700.jpg

http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...5_fl_wt_05.jpg

http://www.interstate-guide.com/imag...5_fl_wt_06.jpg