303 Streaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
303 Streaks?

I use Aerospace 303 for my dash and door panels, etc. I use it because of all of the rave that it has received on this forum. I have also heard many good reports about it from the marine stores where I bought it, as well as from the 303 website. I love its anti-static properties.

However, I guess I can't seem to put it on right. I use a cotton terry cloth and spray the 303 onto the cloth and then rub it into the dash. When it dries it looks all streaked and uneven. It takes weeks before it blends together or probably just wears away. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to give it a HEAVIER coat? I have tried going over it several times, but it still dries uneven?

I use Zaino on the outside and 303 on the inside. With the zaino I had streaks from using too much... Am I now getting streaks with the 303 from using too little?

Anybody else have this problem? Anybody have any application tips? I don't want to quit using it because I believe it to be the best protection out there... but it doesn't look good when I'm finished
Old 09-08-2002, 03:53 AM
Instructor

I applied it by spraying it generously onto a paper towel, and wiping the dash down. Worked just fine.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:33 AM
PAW
Instructor

Head to your local mart (Wal or K) and pick up a 1" foam paint brush. Hold the sprayer very close to the brush. It will take a couple of applications to get the brush saturated. Use the flat side for large areas and the point to get in small areas or grooves or narrow strips. It works great! You use and lose less of the expensive liquid. Plus, you don't spray the windshield.

Also, I think you're using too little. Try to get the whole area wet and shiny. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and them buff it down. I haven't done the TL yet. But the Pathfinder and Legend look great!
Old 09-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by PAW
Try to get the whole area wet and shiny. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and them buff it down. I haven't done the TL yet. But the Pathfinder and Legend look great!
Yup, just what I was going to say. I use a micro-fiber towel, spray generously on towel, wipe down surface until shiny. Let stand 10-15 minutes. With a different micro-fiber towel, wipe dry.

That method has been working well for me.

Did you perhaps have used something else prior to 303? Maybe it is mixing and causing the problem, just a thought...

-copland007
Old 09-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Pro

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I don't think I'm putting it on wet enough and I haven't tried buffing it afterwards. It just seems to air dry "splotchy". And no, I haven't used anything else on the car, Just 303 from the start.

Thanks again... I'll try it with microfiber or the sponge routine. Perhaps the terry cloth towels that I'm using aren't fine enough.... and I'll saturate it, and then rebuff it.