3 Stangs go down at once! :P

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Stangs go down at once! :P

99+ GT 5spd middle lane, 5.0 GT 5spd left lane, and Cobra 95-98 5spd right lane. I was behind the 99GT.

I was up in Austin last night visiting the scene talking to friends, etc. At a point everyone left and got on the highway to do some runs. I mainly went to watch, but when I was behind 3 stangs lining up to run I wanted to see how I could hang with them, to my amazement I beat them. The Cobra is the one I am not sure where he was but more details in a bit.

Anyways, the mustangs all lined up in front of me, 5.0 GT 5spd on left lane, 99+ GT 5spd middle, and Cobra in the right. I was behind the 99 GT. I held 2nd gear right in my power band, we all launched at 45mph The 99 GT and Cobra pulled the 5.0. I was on the tail of the 99GT and he was not leaving me. I passed the 5.0 while he was still racing, and I noticed I was getting too close to the 99, so I switched lanes to the left. We kept in it, I hit 3rd sometime in this, and near my top of 3rd I was passing the 99 GT. I was on his side about my front bumper at his front fender before we all let off. The cobra at this time was not ahead of the GT, I think we both pulled him. But the guy with the 99 GT had gauges, and it was black with some nice chrome wheels, loud exhaust, etc.

The guy looked at me with a weird look, like how the hell can that car pass me!?

BTW, I am completely stock! And a Automatic at that!

My car best running area is the highway and at those speeds we ran.

3 stangs go down at once!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:32 PM
Banned

Nice kills.

1998 Cobra (some minor mods)
Old 07-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Racer

haha i sense some bitter action going on
Old 07-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by turbox777
haha i sense some bitter action going on
Nah, I beat up on Mustangs all the time too
Old 07-29-2002, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mustags ain't ****. the only mustang I had problems wit is a dark red Saleen Mustang with chrome wheels. I see his punk ass every weekend and you wouldn't beleive who pilots the damn thing. A nerdy bushy haired wanna be rider. I'll beat him some day.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:26 AM
Racer

Just don't race the 03 Cobra, things would be ugly, for the Acura and many other cars that is
Old 07-29-2002, 08:25 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-29-2002, 09:09 AM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by AC
Why the ?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by typeSmaximum
Just don't race the 03 Cobra, things would be ugly, for the Acura and many other cars that is
I'm not scared.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:05 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by SimTypeS

Why the ?
Because Snaple's comment was so retarded. I assume he has a CLS/TLS with a SC and about 200 shot of NOS if he thinks all Mustangs are sh!t. I have yet to see a TLS/CLS stock or decked out with H/I/E/ and whatever beat my 540 yet. Mustangs have done it several times. Only Saleen gives him problems...please. A stock 2001-2202 GT would not lose to any stock TLS period! That is if the driver can't shift for sh!t. On the highway...NOT EVEN CLOSE. Hey, the TLS is a fun car for what it is, but don't think it's the fastest thing on 4 wheels.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by AC

Because Snaple's comment was so retarded. I assume he has a CLS/TLS with a SC and about 200 shot of NOS if he thinks all Mustangs are sh!t. I have yet to see a TLS/CLS stock or decked out with H/I/E/ and whatever beat my 540 yet. Mustangs have done it several times. Only Saleen gives him problems...please. A stock 2001-2202 GT would not lose to any stock TLS period! That is if the driver can't shift for sh!t. On the highway...NOT EVEN CLOSE. Hey, the TLS is a fun car for what it is, but don't think it's the fastest thing on 4 wheels.
True. It's a sports sedan, not a jet. It's cool to have some pick up and to mod your car to improve your overall HP, but it still is a sedan. A very, very nice sedan tho
Old 07-29-2002, 11:54 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by paxus

True. It's a sports sedan, not a jet. It's cool to have some pick up and to mod your car to improve your overall HP, but it still is a sedan. A very, very nice sedan tho
I agree, as I bought my 2nd TL in 2 years, great value and all. I just hope we don't go through the tranny issues some people are having. I guess it's like picking a straw.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
i have beat mustangs gts...and yes he can shift. i tok my car down the track and my friend took his z28. i ran a 14.7 stock and 14.8 constant and he had intake, exhuast, pullies, and sumtin about clearing out his throttle screen. he ran a 14.7 of best and 14.9 constant and yes he can shift. btw its a 94 z28 6sp with the LT1
Old 07-30-2002, 07:05 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by MotionEffects
i have beat mustangs gts...and yes he can shift. i tok my car down the track and my friend took his z28. i ran a 14.7 stock and 14.8 constant and he had intake, exhuast, pullies, and sumtin about clearing out his throttle screen. he ran a 14.7 of best and 14.9 constant and yes he can shift. btw its a 94 z28 6sp with the LT1
Well good for you. I have a Dinan5 and have not lost to TLS yet but have lost to GTs and Camaros. I am not saying that it is impossible. Given the situation has equal drivers, a GT would never lose to a TLS thats the bottom line. Your 14.7 is about the best number a TLS will pull in stock form. A GT is closer to 14 flat if I'm correct.

What kills me is that people think Mustang GT's are crap because they cost less than the TLS and it's American. I'd like to see someone say that about the new Mustang Cobra...let me guess, the excuse will be "it's an American car". Whatever.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:34 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AC

Well good for you. I have a Dinan5 and have not lost to TLS yet but have lost to GTs and Camaros. I am not saying that it is impossible. Given the situation has equal drivers, a GT would never lose to a TLS thats the bottom line. Your 14.7 is about the best number a TLS will pull in stock form. A GT is closer to 14 flat if I'm correct.

What kills me is that people think Mustang GT's are crap because they cost less than the TLS and it's American. I'd like to see someone say that about the new Mustang Cobra...let me guess, the excuse will be "it's an American car". Whatever.
No, the excuse would be that they are having major problems...so I've heard/read!

Actually I've learned to like those cars and would love to have a cobra in my stable! Awesome power!

I agree that GTs in stick are faster but I didn't think they were much faster than the TLS. I'm sure they can easily be modded to spank us but stock I think they are somewhat close. TLS can defintely hang with an auto GT.

And did I read correctly, you bought another TL AC?
Old 07-30-2002, 08:40 AM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by ferizzo

And did I read correctly, you bought another TL AC?
Yes I did!

I was tossed with a decision of what is the best car for the money out there I can buy my in laws. Last year I bought them a Lexus ES300, descent car, but regret the decision. So this year, I wasn't gonna make the same mistake twice. Love the new ES but wasn't gonna fork out high $30K's. They didn't need power so TL-P was selected over the TL-S. The car isn't for me, although I would buy one as a daily driver is I owned a Porsche or something in those lines. Plus, my 540 will be bye bye either end of this year or early next year. Not sure for what. Probably end up driving the X5 (great...more money gone for mods ) and buy my wife something else. Believe it or not she LOVES the RL with Navi so we may end up buying a black one...since Acura is giving them away, I may be able to pick one up for $30K and whatnot.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 AM
still a Masshole

You can't get rid of the Dinan 5!!! All the work put into it! What year is it and how much you looking to sell it for?
Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 AM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by AC

Because Snaple's comment was so retarded.
Yeah, Mustangs can get you by surprise. Easy to mod, so you never know what you're lined up against. Like people have said, and auto... it will be give and take. They might take you a couple times, and you may take them. Very close. Stick, if a pro is driving, the TLS is beat, although not getting *spanked*. If they are not real good at shifting, or launching (doing a little heal/toe action) as is the case most of the time, then it might be as close as it is with the auto.
As you and most people agree, with 4 doors, and an auto, it sure is a fun car.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:55 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
A 99GT 5spd should have handed it to you, I know they dip into the High 5's driven good to 60 mph.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

not a jet... just a rocket ship

Hold on a minute... I have a non-modified TL-S and when I race other vehicles that are out of class (4-door, front-wheel, v-6s) it is usually GSX-Rs and ZX-7s.

The TL-S is AMAZING. If you think otherwise, you must not be driving it correctly. Just when I think I am at the edge, it pulls out a samurai move that blows my mind. I just wish I was more mechanically inclined or had a bigger wallet to be able to drive the car a bit harder without fearing the consequenses of the additional maintenance requiernments.

If I was in the market for a two door, rear wheel v-8, the cobra would be a good choice for the money... to bad that they require extra pampering to keep looking good. and that, well, quality wise, there is much to be desired...

Today I will be selling my four door rear wheel 325i after 14 years. I am so sad to see it go. Although it was fun to own, the attention it required was overwhelming. Now I will be able to concentrate on investigating and learning about my rocket ship...

I mean my lowly little tl-s....
Old 07-30-2002, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have run with many stangs and have beaten them all. Stangs and TLS are pretty close, it can go either way at a blink of an eye. Regardless of the outcome, it is still fun!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:39 AM
still a Masshole

Originally posted by thephantom
I have run with many stangs and have beaten them all. Stangs and TLS are pretty close, it can go either way at a blink of an eye. Regardless of the outcome, it is still fun!
Steve, how you doing? Longtime now see/speak!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Banned

Pretty close? There must be some no driving assclowns driving stangs up there in Mass.

I ran 13.7@102 in my Cobra bone stock and I ran 13.9 @ 100 in a 00 GT Automatic bone stock.

Show me a 13 second timeslip for a TL-S (or a 14.5 for that matter) and then I might concede they are close
Old 07-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Say what you will, I was only sharing my experiences. Since I have run with several stangs with all different owners, it was not a fluke. Like I said in my previous post, the runs on the street were very close.

Originally posted by Pull_T

Pretty close? There must be some no driving assclowns driving stangs up there in Mass.

I ran 13.7@102 in my Cobra bone stock and I ran 13.9 @ 100 in a 00 GT Automatic bone stock.

Show me a 13 second timeslip for a TL-S (or a 14.5 for that matter) and then I might concede they are close
Old 07-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Banned

Say what you will, I was only sharing my experiences. Since I have run with several stangs with all different owners, it was not a fluke. Like I said in my previous post, the runs on the street were very close.

Not saying you didn;t win these races, but I WILL call them flukes.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:04 PM
AC
Drifting

Not saying you didn;t win these races, but I WILL call them flukes.
Are we talking about bone stock 1980 something Mustangs? If so, I can believe you beat every single one. The current body style I say it was a fluke too if you beat every single one of them.

Pull_T, you're way too modest dude! My hats off to you, you've been a great contributor to both ATL and ACL.com

One day, when I have enough money I'll buy a Cobra to simply "hook" it up and have fun with it.

What bothers me is that so many people on this board make the Mustang sound like a plague cuz it's American built. I guess a Vette Z06 is a piece of sh!t too in that matter.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:23 AM
Banned

Re: not a jet... just a rocket ship

Originally posted by stiletto
Hold on a minute... I have a non-modified TL-S and when I race other vehicles that are out of class (4-door, front-wheel, v-6s) it is usually GSX-Rs and ZX-7s.

Funny....I raced a Gixxer ('Busa actually) about thre weeks ago and he creamed me past 50 mph....too bad I only have an 11 second car and not a TL
Old 08-04-2002, 05:40 AM
Down The Of System

sorry if you already answered this but is this before or after Tranny cooler SilverBullet??
Old 08-04-2002, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ChopSuey
sorry if you already answered this but is this before or after Tranny cooler SilverBullet??
Before...
Old 08-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Instructor

I don't understand it, but yesterday I took down a new GT Convertible. It wasn't a drivers race. I easily took him at 2 stoplights, and on the interstate I easily pulled on him all the way through the end of 3rd gear. All 3 times when we were side by side I pulled on him when we both got on it. I even had a passenger in the car.

Obviously not all GT's run 13.9 Stock. My TL-S is stock except for dropin filter. You should have seen the look on the guys face when I smoked him at the first light. The 2nd light he started talking sh.., and I did it again. HA HA
Old 08-04-2002, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DMan
It wasn't a drivers race.
What does that mean? That you are certain he drove it well? BS.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not scared.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I just dynoed 422 HP/402 TQ, rear wheel. Right off the street, no cool down, 95+ temp, 74% RH. That's 2003 SVT Cobra with MagnaFlow catback, DiabloSport chip, Holley Track Flow filter, all else stock.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:38 PM
On the way!

Run away!!!! Run away!!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Instructor

He has an auto. I have an auto. We both floored it from a stand still twice, and both floored it at high speed 3 times right next to each other. Every single time the TL-S pulled on the GT. You could put Mario Andretti behind that wheel of the GT and Martha Stewart behind the wheel of the TL-S and it wouldn't make a difference. That GT would have still gone down. That's why I mean it wasn't a drivers race.

What does that mean? That you are certain he drove it well? BS.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Instructor

If I raced Road Rage in his 2003 SVT Cobra and got my ass handed to me I would not call that a drivers race! I'd say that car just whoops arse!!!!:wow:
Originally posted by Road Rage

I just dynoed 422 HP/402 TQ, rear wheel. Right off the street, no cool down, 95+ temp, 74% RH. That's 2003 SVT Cobra with MagnaFlow catback, DiabloSport chip, Holley Track Flow filter, all else stock.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Road Rage

Why would I be afraid of 422 rear wheel? I got 10 pounds of spuds going into my motor as well.