3.5tl-s ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:30 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5tl-s ?????

i read in a couple of the threads about a rick case 3.5 engine on a tl,,using the mdx parts..if so what can confirm this the idea..i also heard the dealer carries these parts..where do i need to go and where do i need to call..whats the horsepower increase and how many different stages are their to the tuning..just please give me general info and some emphasis wouldnt hurt

thank you much!!:p
Old 11-16-2001, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
this has been disscussed so many time in so much detail,i doubt you'll get alot of response...do a search and you'll find out a ton
Old 11-16-2001, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Yeah search the forums for it.

However I will tell you the only dealer that is doing the 3.5L upgrade is Rick Case in Florida. You cannot simply pull up to your local dealer and tell them to drop in a 3.5L upgrade. And no, you certainly cannot do this yourself, unless you are an Acura service tech.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 3.5tl-s ?????

Originally posted by supertl-s
i read in a couple of the threads about a rick case 3.5 engine on a tl,,using the mdx parts..if so what can confirm this the idea..i also heard the dealer carries these parts..where do i need to go and where do i need to call..whats the horsepower increase and how many different stages are their to the tuning..just please give me general info and some emphasis wouldnt hurt

thank you much!!:p
I have looked into the conversion, and did a fair bit of research on it.

The parts are not that expensive to begin with. I live in Canada, and from the dealer, those parts can be had for about $4000 Canadian Dollors. And there are shops that are willing to take the risk and work on my car. (well it's not thier car after all...)

Now, a few things stopped me from doing this...

1. I doubt the tranny can hold that much power

2. If you really want to spend that kinda money, even people in the shop said I better wait for the SC kit.

3. Think about it. It's a FWD, Automatic. It's not the best platfrom for you to go "all out power".

4. of course is not this is not done by Rick Case Acura... But I did have access to the Acura parts guy and the service tech... And bascially discussed with them...

5. I have so many rattles and stuff on my car... so... I think I am just gonna trade it in sooner or later...

And I do take my car to the track. So, if I really wanna do it, I will have to work on brakes, suspension, rim/tire, bababa...

In that case, I might as well just fix up an used Civic with all that money and use it as my track car...

Now that's me... what works best for me might not be the best for you. But keep one thing in mind... Your Engine should be the latest thing that you up grade. Always the brake, tires, and suspension. You want to be able to stop, and stay in control...

Actually, in Canada, somebody stick a 3.2 TL engine in a civic... No kidding... I couldn't believe that myself eighter, but hey I never BS on this forum... They did it. With huge chasis modification done at the same time... Some dude got that car used off the original owner, took that car to Shannoville (a roadcourse track here) and basically total the car. You get nothing but understeer with that monster...

That sort of gave me an idea of what's gonna be like if really beef up the TL. Not saying you can't do that, and I am sure those 3.5 CL owners are happy with thier car... But it's not the best way to spend your money...
Old 11-16-2001, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Wow, great info SL1200MK4!!

You also need to keep in mind that if you're not near Rick Case Acura, and you get it done through a third party shop, you'll have to check with your local dealer to see if your warranty would still be valid. Most dealers probably would not honor your warranty, especially if the work was not done by an Acura dealer.....

Also, here's some more reading for you.....

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...&highlight=3.5
Old 11-16-2001, 10:32 AM
Drifting

I agree there's not much point.

I already see VSA kick in too much in 1st and 2nd gear under WOT.

If you want faster you gotta get AWD.

Get an S4 and a $1000 chip and you'll have the ultimate driving machine.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by hemants

Get an S4 and a $1000 chip and you'll have the ultimate driving machine.
That's probably my next ride!!
Old 11-16-2001, 10:41 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
I am going to have this done to my TL-S over the winter...I'll be sure to keep everyone here posted as to how it turns out....
Old 11-16-2001, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Astroboy,

doesn't the RL engine have more torque but less HP and more weight? Are you sure you're going to gain anything by it.

Not trying to dissuade you, just curious.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:58 AM
Resident Volkswagen Dork™

hemants, its an MDX engine if im not mistaken, 3.5L not 3.5RL. my dad spoke of this to me before.

BTW, that civic had to be a monster in a straight line.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:04 PM
Drifting

Even the MDX engine is 240hp and 245ft-lb of torque.

Don't know about the weight though but I think the only time it would be faster would be going up a hill or towing.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Astroboy
I am going to have this done to my TL-S over the winter...I'll be sure to keep everyone here posted as to how it turns out....
My goodness Astroboy, seeing the work you have done to your 911 I can only imagine what your doing to the TL-S.

$$$$$ unlimited

You get your name from this guy here?

Tetsuwan Atomu