2nd Tranny Installed... :)... w/ cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Tranny Installed... :)... w/ cooler...

So after a week of driving a rental and another week and a half of driving a 2002 TL loner I got my baby back with a 2nd tranny and thanks to instructions listed on this site, a B&M tranny cooler was installed.

My first impression right out of the dealership is that the shifts are crisper from gear to gear. There doesn't seem to be that hesitation in SS or auto mode that was there before, even when the car was new.

Now considering that this is a factory rebuilt (hopefully debugged and modified) transmission, I can't say with 100% assurance that the tranny cooler is completely responsible for the crisper shifts.

All I know is that the car feels really good. The techs in the service shop wonder why this type of cooler isn't standard in the TLS, considering that they are starting to see more failed transmissions. And the service manager has a feeling that the instruction I gave them (which came from this web site) are probably going to come in handy.

I don't know if this is good or bad but, I was the first person to request a tranny cooler be installed with the replacement of the transmission. It cost me about 50 dollars for the cooler (w/ shipping), from summit racing and about $110 for the install labor of the cooler itself. Tranny install and flush, etc covered by warranty.

It would have been nice to get the cooler install for free but, as a whole, I think this definitely cost them more $$$ than it did me...

You know whats funny? I went with a friend of mine to test drive some other cars today. We drove an Audi A4 1.8T auto w/ sport suspension and a Mercedes C230 compressor auto with sport suspension. I still like my 3.2TLS w/ Comptech Springs and Sway Bars better... go figure.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Banned

where did you get ur cooler installed.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Heart Acura, Route 9, Wappingers Falls, NY.

This is the dealership where I bought the car.
I'm pretty satisfied with their service department.