2nd and 3rd gear issues are related - theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd and 3rd gear issues are related - theory

It's been 2 years since I picked up my '03 TL-S and I really love the car. I recently turned 16K and have done 2 oil changes (Mobil 1/Acura filter). The car is pretty much stock other than the icebox.

Over the past 2 years, with all of the tranney posts, I've become more and more concerned with the reliability of my car. Most of the concern is on long drives. That is my ultimate nightmare.

I try to check this site as frequently as possible. So I have seen a lot of posts, stickys, etc. With that said, I have not seen them all, so what I'm about to say may be ignorance on my part.

Just to regurgitate it, the two problems are:
1) The 3rd gear clutch pack failing
2) The 2nd gear shaft issue (what the oil jet is for)

After reading some of the NHTSA report, from what I gather, the 3rd gear clutch packs are burning due to insufficient fluid to cool it down. Oil guide plate was change, but it still breaks down, etc.

My thinking is, if the 3rd gear clutch pack is burning due to insufficient fluid, wouldn't it be even "less" flow with the oil jet installed ?

I'm thinking this because the oil jet looks like a plain old T fitting with a sprayer nozzle on it. There is no fluid or extra pressure added to the system with this recall. So in theory, some of it is being redirected via the new hose off the T fitting to address the 2nd gear. I have not tracked the tranny lines so I'm not sure how the fluid travels through the system, maybe someone can clafify that for me.

With that in mind, that means that the 3rd gear (which already is lacking fluid), is now getting even less fluid. This leads me to believe that the two notorious issues are related. And why there are a bunch of posts with people getting the oil jet kit installed, and then having their tranney bomb out shortly after. At first, I was reading them with the thought that it was pure coincidence.

Any thoughts on this ? or am I off my rocker...
I'm hoping some of the more senior members can clear some of this up for me as you have throughout the past 2 years. Thx.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
It's been 2 years since I picked up my '03 TL-S and I really love the car. I recently turned 16K and have done 2 oil changes (Mobil 1/Acura filter). The car is pretty much stock other than the icebox.

Over the past 2 years, with all of the tranney posts, I've become more and more concerned with the reliability of my car. Most of the concern is on long drives. That is my ultimate nightmare.

I try to check this site as frequently as possible. So I have seen a lot of posts, stickys, etc. With that said, I have not seen them all, so what I'm about to say may be ignorance on my part.

Just to regurgitate it, the two problems are:
1) The 3rd gear clutch pack failing
2) The 2nd gear shaft issue (what the oil jet is for)

After reading some of the NHTSA report, from what I gather, the 3rd gear clutch packs are burning due to insufficient fluid to cool it down. Oil guide plate was change, but it still breaks down, etc.

My thinking is, if the 3rd gear clutch pack is burning due to insufficient fluid, wouldn't it be even "less" flow with the oil jet installed ?

I'm thinking this because the oil jet looks like a plain old T fitting with a sprayer nozzle on it. There is no fluid or extra pressure added to the system with this recall. So in theory, some of it is being redirected via the new hose off the T fitting to address the 2nd gear. I have not tracked the tranny lines so I'm not sure how the fluid travels through the system, maybe someone can clafify that for me.

With that in mind, that means that the 3rd gear (which already is lacking fluid), is now getting even less fluid. This leads me to believe that the two notorious issues are related. And why there are a bunch of posts with people getting the oil jet kit installed, and then having their tranney bomb out shortly after. At first, I was reading them with the thought that it was pure coincidence.

Any thoughts on this ? or am I off my rocker...
I'm hoping some of the more senior members can clear some of this up for me as you have throughout the past 2 years. Thx.
no, i dont think so. the oil jet kit isnt taking away from any pressure to the inside flow. the jet kit is tapped into the line that is pumping fluidout and past the coolant (the tl uses the radiator fluid to cool the fluid). the 2nd gear shaft was a bearing issue that didnt have enough passages to it to help keep it lubed (which keeps it cool)
as far as i could tell on mine when i pulled it apart is that the 3rd gear clutch pack is just a bad design, (it may need more coolant but the oil jet isnt causing it to go) i had 3 die with out it) it doest look like its low on fluid for coolant.
granted im no engineer but thats the way it appeared to me when i rebuilt mine
Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So, the oil jet line is on the "exit" side after the fluid has gone through the transmission.
From my reading, and the posts regarding V/R tranny upgrades, it seems like V/R uses different materials for the 3rd gear clutch pack. I think I read kevlar or titanium (maybe a mix of parts). What ever Acura uses for the stock material must be pretty poor.

Considering you did your own tranny last time around, I'll take your word on it. Thx
Old 12-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. So, the oil jet line is on the "exit" side after the fluid has gone through the transmission.
From my reading, and the posts regarding V/R tranny upgrades, it seems like V/R uses different materials for the 3rd gear clutch pack. I think I read kevlar or titanium (maybe a mix of parts). What ever Acura uses for the stock material must be pretty poor.

Considering you did your own tranny last time around, I'll take your word on it. Thx
yea the oil jet uses an external line.
as for teh material used i think thats half teh issue with the clutch pack, i dont think its strong enough for its duty. like you said the VR tranny has stronger internals.
just my but its what seems logical to me (like i said im by no means a expert, thats just the way it looked