2G TL to 3G TL caliper Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2G TL to 3G TL caliper Upgrade

Hello everybody, I’m looking for some help regarding swapping to a larger caliper from the 3g TL. I am currently running the Acura RL big brake upgrade but unfortunately there isn’t much aftermarket support for brake pads.

I am running in endurance races, (24 hours of lemons) and we are experiencing major brake judder after exsessive braking. I reached out to Hawk, EBC, Stoptech and there is just no option for a more aggressive pad to address the brake judder. I know the 3G TL calipers will not mount to my knuckle and was wondering if the entire knuckle would fit my 2GTL. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
^
As an experimental low cost alternative to the larger RL calipers or knuckle swap (not sure, but I don't believe is possible), have you researched the duel piston Legend caliper upgrade over the factory single piston caliper?
This is kind of like an 'intermediate' consideration between the inadequate factory stock single pot caliper and the obviously larger stout RL caliper.

You can run these on the existing 2G TL knuckle & bracket and use the 2G single piston brake pads.
Incidentally you may find a more aggressive / diverse 2G brake pad selection to perhaps fit your endurance race needs along with any higher DOT fluid rating?
The following users liked this post:
BLADE RUNNER (01-19-2024)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 443 Posts
I don't want to contradict Zeta's recommendation. But, is there a reason you are running a factory caliper vs aftermarket? Stock wheels?

You probably already know that the 2G TL/CL shares its knuckle with the 6th gen accord. There are several aftermarket big brake kits for the accord, such as brembo and ksport. Fastbrakes has a kit that isnt too expensive compared to a full bbk with a wilwood 4 piston caliper and 12.6" rotors.

https://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/1998-accord-126sl.htm

Not that I endorse fastbrakes nor their absurd RL caliper adapter bracket prices.

Last edited by 619rcr; 12-13-2023 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 619rcr:
Thefireball (12-13-2023), zeta (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention, 3G TL has different size ball joints than the 2G. Larger socket iirc. Also different style lwr ctrl arms.
Thefireball (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 619rcr
Forgot to mention, 3G TL has different size ball joints than the 2G. Larger socket iirc. Also different style lwr ctrl arms.
Thanks for the input now I’m wondering if the whole front suspension would fit. The reason why I’m also pushing for the 3G TL is because we sourced a manual one to do a 6 speed swap. Also, the 3G TL similar to the 2G TL has a much better aftermarket/brake pad options. I guess I will have to do trial and error to find out. I was hoping someone on the forum has already tried it to say yes for sure it will work or no it will not.

if it is ultimately a no, the next cost effective option would probably be the Legend calipers then the Wilwoods. I would just hate to get brake fade with the smaller rotor and caliper setup. We currently don’t get that now but the judder literally loosened the castle nut on the upper ball joint while racing.

Here is a photo of us just behind the BMW racing at Road Atlanta/Michelin Speedway this past weekend

Davius (12-23-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
^
As an experimental low cost alternative to the larger RL calipers or knuckle swap (not sure, but I don't believe is possible), have you researched the duel piston Legend caliper upgrade over the factory single piston caliper?
This is kind of like an 'intermediate' consideration between the inadequate factory stock single pot caliper and the obviously larger stout RL caliper.

You can run these on the existing 2G TL knuckle & bracket and use the 2G single piston brake pads.
Incidentally you may find a more aggressive / diverse 2G brake pad selection to perhaps fit your endurance race needs along with any higher DOT fluid rating?

thanks for the input I’ll look into this as my second option
Old 12-13-2023, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teggyturnedtl
Thanks for the input now I’m wondering if the whole front suspension would fit. The reason why I’m also pushing for the 3G TL is because we sourced a manual one to do a 6 speed swap. Also, the 3G TL similar to the 2G TL has a much better aftermarket/brake pad options. I guess I will have to do trial and error to find out. I was hoping someone on the forum has already tried it to say yes for sure it will work or no it will not.
I'm guessing you havent seen the 3G lower suspension or newer honda / acura setup. When I say different lwr ctrl arms, I mean completely different shape, and the addition of a large donut shaped bushing. There are no more separate lateral arms connecting the lwr ctrl arm to the front crossmember.

example

As far as the 3G front brakes, I had a 3G type s TL with brembo pads & cross drilled slotted rotors all around. The rotors were only slightly larger than my CLS 6spd

Overall, I honestly felt they weren't very good, esp for such a heavy car. I can only imagine them fading from hot laps.

Sorry, but I highly doubt it would be feasible without extensive mods, just to run another factory setup.

Last edited by 619rcr; 12-13-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Thefireball (12-13-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 05:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 619rcr
I'm guessing you havent seen the 3G lower suspension or newer honda / acura setup. When I say different lwr ctrl arms, I mean completely different shape, and the addition of a large donut shaped bushing. There are no more separate lateral arms connecting the lwr ctrl arm to the front crossmember.

example

As far as the 3G front brakes, I had a 3G type s TL with brembo pads & cross drilled slotted rotors all around. The rotors were only slightly larger than my CLS 6spd

Overall, I honestly felt they weren't very good, esp for such a heavy car. I can only imagine them fading from hot laps.

Sorry, but I highly doubt it would be feasible without extensive mods, just to run another factory setup.
Thanks 619rcr now that’s what I’m talking about! A definite no. I’ll look into the legend calipers next and see what they look like. Hopefully not smaller than OEM. If they are I may run OEMs for the next event then upgrade to the Wilwood setup. We can’t be competitive if the steering wheel is bouncing around all over the place. Thanks for your help.
The following 2 users liked this post by teggyturnedtl:
619rcr (12-14-2023), Thefireball (12-14-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Thanks 619rcr now that’s what I’m talking about! A definite no. I’ll look into the legend calipers next and see what they look like. Hopefully not smaller than OEM. If they are I may run OEMs for the next event then upgrade to the Wilwood setup. We can’t be competitive if the steering wheel is bouncing around all over the place. Thanks for your help.
619rcr, I just recently purchased a base model 3G TL which had the Brembo swap already done to it. I sold the brembos thinking we wouldn’t be able to use them, then the person who purchased them happened to reach back out and say he needed the spindles to make them work. With that being said I had extra spindles for my car and so I pulled the base model spindles and found them to be very similar with some minor differences.

1. The caliper location is mm’s off which is very important for caliper location
2. the spindles are equal in length and height overall
3. The ABS sensor location seems to be relocated from one to the other and the type seems to be different as well
4. the axles seem to be the same diameter and was able to slip into both spindles
5. both spindles fit the lower control arm and upper control arm
6. The outer tie rod ends are different in diameter in terms of ball joint shaft thickness

With that being said, I think if a am able to use the 3G spindles and 3G caliper setup in my 2G TL. I still have to do more on the brake research but so far it is looking promising

see photos of side by side comparison

619rcr (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

619rcr, I just recently purchased a base model 3G TL which had the Brembo swap already done to it. I sold the brembos thinking we wouldn’t be able to use them, then the person who purchased them happened to reach back out and say he needed the spindles to make them work. With that being said I had extra spindles for my car and so I pulled the base model spindles and found them to be very similar with some minor differences.

1. The caliper location is mm’s off which is very important for caliper location
2. the spindles are equal in length and height overall
3. The ABS sensor location seems to be relocated from one to the other and the type seems to be different as well
4. the axles seem to be the same diameter and was able to slip into both spindles
5. both spindles fit the lower control arm and upper control arm
6. The outer tie rod ends are different in diameter in terms of ball joint shaft thickness

With that being said, I think if a am able to use the 3G spindles and 3G caliper setup in my 2G TL. I still have to do more on the brake research but so far it is looking promising

see photos of side by side comparison
Interesting, rockauto shows different ball joint part numbers between the 2G and 3G. Curious to know how the caster and steering angle will be affected. In any case, sounds like you'll find out soon enough.
whitetiger5 (01-01-2024)