2003 Performance Problems. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Performance Problems. HELP!!!

My 2003 is having extreme difficulty accelerating and shifting gears (automatically or manually). The shifting seems erratic and ill-timed sometimes hustling through quickly to 4th gear before even reaching 25mph. No matter how hard the gas pedal is depressed the car will only accelerate at a weak rate. The tach shows significant increase in speed but the torque just doesn't seem to get to the wheels. The car has 23500 miles. I took it to an Acura dealer and they said that they noticed not problems. (I won't be taking the vehicle there any more.). I recently had the car on the highway and was able to force the pedal all the way to the floor with little response from the engine. It is difficult to get the vehicle to go much over 80mph because it will simply refuse to go much faster. What is the deal? Has anyone had any problems with this? My vehicle is subject to the timing belt tensioner problem: has my timing been corrupted? Is the transmission about to fail or has failed? I would like any input that is possible from as many people as possible!

BeanZ
Old 10-31-2003, 10:59 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the timing belt jumped a tooth you would probably notice some backfiring at a certain rpm. It could very well be the tranny or just a little thing liek a vacuum line popped off or is badly worn.

Back when I had a 75' Mercury Montego (85'-94') I had a valve job done to it by a "friend" and he forgot to reattach a rather large vacuum tree to the intake manifold. Shifting was all over the place. I found the problem, reattached it and everything was everything again.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:20 AM
booooo

maybe its the trans?

go to a diff acura dealer and tell them u think its the tranny, also does the D5 light flash ?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:17 AM
4th Gear

The D5 light has never flashed on me. I forgot to include another piece of information that may or may not be related. In the first week in September, I absolutely hammered a raccoon at highway speed. The driver side of the front of the car took the impact. Some of these problems became noticeable about a week to 10 days later. There is no immediately visible damage to anything under the car (it was just a raccoon) but the transmission throttle valve and other components are under on that side if I am not mistaken? This may not be related but seems coincidental. I will check for broken or disconnected vaccuum hoses. Also, I am going to check to see if timing marks are visible from under the hood. I have not had any backfiring but the engine does seem to run noisier than it ever has before, more like a growl or a groan when it it running instead of silence like when it was brand new less than a year ago. If you have any insight please hook me up!

BeanZ