2002+ Foglight Mod Alternatives.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:47 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002+ Foglight Mod Alternatives.

So I was thinking...I know people favor fogmod2 vs fogmod1 is that you dont waste the bulbs everytime you set the alarm. Yet at the same time, reasons why foglight mod v2 would be bad is that you put unnecessary load on the battery whenever you crank the car (provided you trully use this mod as a "set & forget").

Has ANYONE thought of an even better alternative?

Here's some ideas...

When I rented a U-Haul a few years back, I remembered that all commercial trucks had to be retrofitted with DTRs. The really old one I drove was made so that once the ignition was on 2 (like fogmod2) the headlight would turn on...BUT...here's the difference, it would only turn on AFTER you release the parking brake.

So...when the parking brake led on the dash turns off, the DTR lights turns on. This way, you get the best of both worlds, since most people never disarm the parking brake until the engine starts anyways. How hard would this be? I think they wrigged the release pedal to trigger a switch...but instead of installing a mechanical switch, how about tapping into the D5 light instead?

Come to think of it...wouldn't that be even better since the rear lights only turn on when you are in reverse gear...so wouldn't it also make sense for the DTR lights turn on when you are in a forward gear as well?

Comments?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
True but it is the same situation as if ppl didn't turn off their headlights or radio when they left that car. I don't know how many ppl actually do that but sometimes I just leave the headlights on if it is at night and I have to go back to the car later.

I'll come up with something. I'll give it some more thought but will a bit more complicated probably.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bxscig
True but it is the same situation as if ppl didn't turn off their headlights or radio when they left that car. I don't know how many ppl actually do that but sometimes I just leave the headlights on if it is at night and I have to go back to the car later.

I'll come up with something. I'll give it some more thought but will a bit more complicated probably.

Difference is a radio is no where near the amount of drain 2 55W bulbs take. Also, summer is right around the corner, and this is a season that I can possibly drive for days without ever turning on my headlights. Fogmod2 is definitely a "set & forget" type of mod...I was just thinking of ways to make it better.

P.S.
Thanks for the pics...and keep us informed
Old 04-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Now that I actually woke up and had time to read the entire post lol Those are good ideas. I see the problem of them being on even during the day unless you turn it off manually. "Set it and forget it" sounds like one of those things on the home shopping network... I think where you put the chicken in, set it and forget it :lol2:

DTRs aka DRLs are supposed to shut off/disabled with the parking brake or at least in most cars so I've read. You can push it down a little just to disable DRLs before the brakes are actually engaged.

Problems:

[1] Unnecessary load on battery when cranking.... it exist more often on the 2nd version than the 1st. It will only be a problem on the first if the parkings/headlights were left on when the car was shut off.

[2] Always on unless you turn it off via the button.... it exist more often on the 2nd version than the 1st. Most people don't turn on their parking lights until it gets dark.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Ok, it shuts off when you crank so there is no extra drain on the battery during crank. If the headlights are off.... I forget if that happens to when you have the headlights on. I don't think so...
Old 04-26-2004, 03:26 AM

Ok, it shuts off when you crank so there is no extra drain on the battery during crank. If the headlights are off.... I forget if that happens to when you have the headlights on. I don't think so...

So what did you do different?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 AM
Drifting

I haven't done anything different yet. It shuts off during crank because just like the radio, and the lights in the car... it all dims or turns off while cranking.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't done anything different yet. It shuts off during crank because just like the radio, and the lights in the car... it all dims or turns off while cranking.
Dimming is a sign that you're putting extra strain on the battery. The battery needs all its strength to crank, especially in the winter. When you see lights going dim during cranking, they aren't doing that to help the battery. They're doing that *because* the battery can't handle the load. The volts drop and the lights dim. Ideally, for maximum cranking power and longevity of a battery you don't want anything on when the car cranks. Now that's next to impossible to do since so much on today's cars are electrical. But you can definitely do your part by making sure the big items like lights are off.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Drifting

hmmmm I didn't know that... I guess there is really no way around it expect turn it on and off each time.

Thanks pianoman