2002 Acura TL typeS radio anti-the

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 Acura TL typeS radio anti-the

In case it helps somebody:

I have a pre-owned 2002 Acura TL type S

After recently allowing my batt to run down accidentally, I was intrioduced to the nightmare of trying to get the handy "anti-theft" radio working again.
As you probably know, if power is interrupted to the radio, the radio locks down and you have two put in a security code to reset it.

Just wanna say: I have been working on my own vehicles for 4 decades and this was one of the most idiotic and irritating issues I have ever had with a car. This is not an "anti-theft" feature--it's an "anti-RADIO" feature.

You can google how to reset the security code (and also how to GET the code for your car).

BUT, after following all of these instructions and after pulling the fuse out a dozen times to clear the radio so that it would accept a reset code--it still did not accept a code. I called Acura central and found out that sometimes you cannot reset the security code on the radio without disconnecting the antenna lead. Not kidding! The antenna signal must be stopped before the radio will accept a security reset code.

Pulling the antenna lead of course entails taking the entire console apart and removing the radio, unless you can get a pair of needle nose pliers in from the driver's side to get behind the radio (after removing the lower dash panel). Hint: it does not twist. It does pull straight out--but good luck getting it back on.

You can also try driving the car to a location where the antenna cannot get signal (like a parking garage basement) and see if the damn thing will take a reset code under those conditions.

I want the address of the sadist who thought this up.

After pulling the antenna lead, I finally DID get the radio to accept a reset code--but it did not return to normal. There were then output issues.

The fix for ME: murder the radio. I installed a new double-din Pioneer AVH-X491BHS--it has Bluetooth and all current tech features. Fits beautifully, supports a rear cam, and looks and works like OEM. It was $400 in parts including the steering wheel module (that allows you to control the radio with the steering wheel controls) and another $175 for labor. (And the dealer did not get a dime of it!)

That's steep, but it essentially brings my 2002 Acura up to date technically with anything out there.

BEST of all: no "anti-theft" feature.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the installer have to put a trim around the pioneer? I recently just had to change battery which may have caused the code error that you've described, as the code that I got didn't unlock the radio.