1999 Navigation software update ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Navigation software update ???

Hello,

My navigation system in my 1999 TL has been working perfectly fine, since I purchased the vehicle 2 years ago. The only problem is alot of coverage area that I feel should be available is not.

I currently have version 1.14 Northeastern region. I desperately would like to go to Acura to get the new update, but I have several concern's.....

1. I fear the updated version will give me read disc error's way to often, after reading some post in here.(I almost never get that now)

2. My navigation card is not the original card that came with the system...I got it from a friend.

3. What is the annual royalty fee about????

4. Will I have to pay an annual fee to keep my navigation up and running after getting the new update?

5. What are the chances of Acura destroying my current card in the process......then giving me a problem replacing it.

Thanx in advance
Old 02-27-2004, 01:17 PM
The axeman Cometh

Talk to Paul Mooney. He will hook you up with a new card or the CD with all of the latest databases for each region. I just got my new Calluna card from him and it works great.

Axe
Old 02-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Cruisin'

thank you,
axeman
Old 02-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

I need an update myself. Who is this Paul Mahony and which dealership he in.

I live in NYC and I need a NorthEastern Update myself.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Instructor

I'm not at a dealer, just an owner like you.

1.14 is the system version, not the map version but I can tell that it's either the Feb or Nov 1999 maps. The latest is Dec 2002 so that's a pretty good improvement, but adding the 2.01 system version is a huge improvement, a lot of bugs that cause hangs or reboots went away.

1. That's not a concern at all. The update itself is just to delete files off a drive and copy over new files, a 5-10 minute process. And an operation that is no different than what you ask of your computer all day everyday. It's safe for you or Acura to do most of the time. But like computers there is always a factor of unpredictability. If the disk is healthy a change to file contents should not be a worry.

2. The Acura dealer may complain about the non-oem drive but odds are low. If it works why should they care.

3. The policy is the first two years you pay no royalty and can have as many updates as you want. If you ever get an update after that time they may or may not ask for a "royalty" charge. If you travel around and have already paid your fee you can get a different region for no charge. They do however charge the ridiculous labor charge to do the update, up to $100. That's why we like to be able to program our own and not have to make a dealer trip.

4. The fee has no affect on making the system operate or continue to operate.

5. With regards to #1, what could happen is a shock to the drive from handling it that is an incidental side effect of doing the update such as a drop of more than a few inches to a hard surface would kill a drive. The dealer charges $1300 for a replacement drive, if they damaged it I would imagine they would pay for it. You can get drives yourself cheap.

I have all the US on 2 CD's. 7 people in the different regions exchanged our files to create one cumulative set. Do you have a notebook computer that you can plug in the drive? If so I can send the CDs and you copy over the files. Also you can locate the old drives on eBay for cheap $30-50 and even buy extra ones and update them for your own and other regions if you travel. The CD's alone are $50 copy and mailing charge.

If you don't have the capability then you can mail me your disk and I'll update it but you risk #5. That's also $50, I'd return a set of CD's with your drive. Add $5 for priority mail or $10 for UPS Ground.

Right now I'm only selling the compactflash cards to replace the drives, I got away from the hard disks since they are so easily damaged and have a short life. They are faster too so recalcs are quicker. The only down side is they cost a bit more but I think its worth it. I can send you a compactflash drive with your region on it and set of CD's for $250.

Here's one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463472956

Paul