10% Ethanol blend gas--BAD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10% Ethanol blend gas--BAD???

Hi all, with all this gas talk lately I thought I would ask one too. In MO we only have this Ethanol blend gas, supposedly for emissions control. Is this stuff bad for our cars? I would prefer NOT to have it, but that is not a choice. The best ocatane we can get is 91 too. Should I start using some off the shelf products to counter act anything the ethanol is doing, and too boost octane rating?

For those old enough to remeber, ethanol is 'gasahol' or 'corn-gas' from the early 80's.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: 10% Ethanol blend gas--BAD???

Originally posted by jbx35
Hi all, with all this gas talk lately I thought I would ask one too. In MO we only have this Ethanol blend gas, supposedly for emissions control. Is this stuff bad for our cars? I would prefer NOT to have it, but that is not a choice. The best ocatane we can get is 91 too. Should I start using some off the shelf products to counter act anything the ethanol is doing, and too boost octane rating?

For those old enough to remeber, ethanol is 'gasahol' or 'corn-gas' from the early 80's.
Adding ethanol to gas and charging the same price is a rip. Ethanol is only half as energy dense as gasoline, therefore 10% ethanol gas has only 95% the energy content as pure gasoline. It's just a farm subsidy program in disguise. For you non-scientific types, no, we can't use alcohol from corn to run our cars. This is because producing the alcohol is a zero-sum game,i.e., it takes as much total energy to produce the alcohol from crops as we would realize from burning it in our cars.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:00 PM
Racer

Ethanol blend gas works just fine in our engines. You can use then without worry. It burn slighly cleaner and it also helps as gasline antifreeze during winter.
J
Old 08-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to compensate for the power in your car...dump in a bottle of Redline Fuel injector Treatment.

I just recently dumped a bottle in my tank and couldn't believe the difference it made in performance.

All you have to make sure is you have a full tank of gas before your put it in your tank. And also make sure that you put the full bottle in. the last thing you have to remember is too run that full tank of gas all the way down until there is virtually no gas left to ensure that all of the fuel injector treatment gets into your system

This will optimize the performance of the car since the product is not dilluted to much by the gasoline.

Hope this helps.

Take care.