04 TL To Have Dvd Player

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 TL To Have Dvd Player

I was reading in the new import tuner I got today and it says the tl is gonna be the first to have a dvd player built in for the navi and be 5.1 dolby digital. Supposed to play dvd movies .Not sure if this is old news but just letting you know.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
What I heard is that the '04 TL will support DVD Audio for multichannel sound. This doesn't mean movies, rather the new DVD Audio standard which is strictly for sound.

Who knows though, I guess we'll see once Honda makes an announcement!

BTW- The NAVI system for the TL/CL has been DVD based since 2000 or 2001 (forget which), so the '04 TL won't be the first to utilize DVD technology in the car.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya i mean almost all Navigations Use DVD's, its just that the player is made specifically for only Navigation DVD.. Because:

1: It is illegal to have any type of entertainment or TV near the driver..

2: The Navigation Screen functions through RGB Interface meaning to play DVD's u have to get a receiver that will convert to support the DVD..

3: So Don't expect a DVD Audio System to necessarily Play DVD Movies..

A company cannot take a risk and make a car with TV on the drivers view unless, they make it so the DVD Player only works with the gear in Park or something to that extent..

But anyways who cares.. I mean spend $500 after you get the car and do the whole conversion, than u can play DVD's, Burned DVD's, VCD's, Play MP3 CD's with 150 Songs, Play picture Files and so much MORE!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

just saw Autoline Detroit on Speed channel and they were talking about DVD Audio among other things. They were describing it as MUCH better than CD quality sound. And they mentioned that it was going to be available in the new Acura TL
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Advanced

I was watching SpeedChannel today, and they had some people talking about car audio systems (I think it was an infomercial, but I am not 100% sure).

Anyway, they mentioned that Acura is the first manufacturer that has confirmed that it will be integrating DVD Audio in a car, the new TL. What DVD Audio will do is give you actual Dolby 5.1 playback of DVD Audio discs. The speaker setup will be similar to most home theater systems, with a left, right and center channel up front, two rear channel speakers and a subwoofer.

DVD Audio discs also have standard CD tracks on them, so they will play on a regular CD player as well.

Until someone comes out with a "mod", you probably won't be able to play an actual DVD through the system.

It would figure that Acura wouldn't take baby-steps. My '03 TL-S has the worst sounding factory system out there, and it looks like the new TL will have one of the best....

If they only can find a way to do the same thing with the engine
Old 04-29-2003, 05:11 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

Sundial, Are u sayin that the dvd disc has both cd and dvd format tracks on it?
I just got a Pink Floyd CD that has 5.1 surround sound... sounds great on regular sound, bet its even better in 5.1 though.
And o yea, the tl doesn't have the worst factory system at all, my dad's 2000 grand am did.

Anyone know someone in the Tampa Bay area who has an 02 - 03 Odyssey EX w/ dvd and HID's?

Yes, you did not misread, they WERE HID's on a minivan. (Not imitations as far as I could tell).
Old 04-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Audio is AMAZING....my friend has a sick setup in his apartment. TO make a comparasion its like going from your VCD to DVD!!!!! If i had extra loot i would definately get it for the house......only can imagine how it would sound in a car!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by sweetride01
Sundial, Are u sayin that the dvd disc has both cd and dvd format tracks on it?
I just got a Pink Floyd CD that has 5.1 surround sound... sounds great on regular sound, bet its even better in 5.1 though.
And o yea, the tl doesn't have the worst factory system at all, my dad's 2000 grand am did.

Anyone know someone in the Tampa Bay area who has an 02 - 03 Odyssey EX w/ dvd and HID's?

Yes, you did not misread, they WERE HID's on a minivan. (Not imitations as far as I could tell).
Ya I am wondering where u would get the CD's to play it.. Would u need special CDS from special companys or what.. Is this becoming a new standard?

Where did u buy the Pink Floyd CD? And is it a DVD Because if its a CD it cannot hold 5.1 Audio for all tracks....

Anyone know if the car will shake with the sounds and how many watts it will be and where the subwoofer would be?

Are a lot of new cds 5.1? or only rare ones?
Old 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heh heh heh. DVD audio is great and all...but unless I can pirate it (aka burn my own tracks) then I'm not really impressed by it. Maybe in a few years D/Ling DVD audio will be a norm. Till then, a built in MP3 player is more appealing.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Advanced

how is everyone liking how it looks??
Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
DVD-Audio discs are DVD discs with hi resolution 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks that are playable only in a DVD-Audio player. These discs usually feature extras like lyrics and graphics that follow along with the music.

Included on these discs are stereo and surround tracks that can be either DTS or Dolby Digital (it's optional by the manufacturer). These tracks can be played in any DVD-Video player.

THEY CANNOT BE PLAYED IN ANY CD PLAYERS

If you have the proper player, these discs are incredible. They will blow you away. The fact that the new TL's will have this capability is awesome. You guys who get these will have an incredible surround sound experience in your cars. You will be smiling big time.

This is a great plus for Acura!!!

http://www.dvdaudiopreview.com

:-jon
Old 04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Mr. Self Destruct

Originally posted by edgalang
heh heh heh. DVD audio is great and all...but unless I can pirate it (aka burn my own tracks) then I'm not really impressed by it. Maybe in a few years D/Ling DVD audio will be a norm. Till then, a built in MP3 player is more appealing.
The company I work for makes the technology that STOPS you from pirating DVD Audio.

And NO, there's no way around the security. Just remember, it's only a matter of time before any security is breached. I'm sure someone will figure out a "work-around". Until then, we'll all have to wait.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:15 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

The Pink Floyd CD I got is "Dark Side of The Moon". I got it in Best Buy. It will play in a CD player, so its not DVD audio. BUT it is in 5.1 surround sound. However, I believe a CD can play 5.1 surround sound-- no one ever said it couldn't. DVD audio just upgrades the sound quality, I think (???).
Old 04-30-2003, 04:27 PM
Race Director

WHOA COOL !
Old 04-30-2003, 05:03 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally posted by sweetride01
The Pink Floyd CD I got is "Dark Side of The Moon". I got it in Best Buy. It will play in a CD player, so its not DVD audio. BUT it is in 5.1 surround sound. However, I believe a CD can play 5.1 surround sound-- no one ever said it couldn't. DVD audio just upgrades the sound quality, I think (???).
That Pink Floyd CD is what they call a SACD, or SUPER AUDIO CD. It is the other high resolution format that competes with DVD-A. Many SACD discs have a CD layer that is compatible with regular CD players. These discs are called "hybrids".

In order to get the surround sound 5.1 sound from an SACD, you must have an SACD player. Hybrid SACDs will only play in stereo in a regular CD player.

If you are confused, you are not alone. Both formats offer 5.1 sounds, both formats sound infinatly better than a regular CD, but only when played on the proper player (like the one coming in the 04TL). If you play these in "compatible" players, you lose a lot of the resolution and in the case of SACDs, the 5.1 tracks.

:-jon