'03 or '04

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '03 or '04

Hey everyone.. just happened upon this site while searching for TLS articles/reviews. Great site you have going by the way.

I'm looking for some recommendations. I've test driven the TLS '03 a few times now and love it. My only problem is hearing about the redesign for '04. Has anybody seen any pictures/sketches or have any specs on the new design.

What would you do? Go ahead and get the '03 or wait for the 04's?

I don't know if I could actually hold on long enough for an '04.. unless I was cryogenically frozen or something.

Thanks in advance,

Chris_inTO
Old 04-25-2002, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

That's a tough call. The '04 is supposed to be redesigned, but there's been no word from Acura on anything. No sketches, no specs, no dates, zero/zip/zilch. Nada.

So, if you wait, it may be worth it. Odds are the car will be more powerful then it is now. Will it look nicer....maybe? Who knows... they could butcher the design. My advise... if you like it now... buy it now. What if the car doesn't come out until late 2004 and it's ugly? Probably won't happen, but it could... then what would you do? If you love it like you say.... you'll still love it when the new one comes out.... especially when you mod your car!!
Old 04-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro

Rumor has it that the 04 will be back on the normal production schedule which would make it a fall release, or late 03. That's 1-1/2 year out from today. If you can wait that long, go for it.

How about this suggestion? Pick up a "pre-owned" 2002 model and drive it until the 2004 comes out. If you like the 04 better, you won't lose so much on a trade in. If you don't, you have the same car as the 03 but paid less for it and won't have as much depreciation in the long run.

Just my $.02

I have a 2002 TLS, bone stock. Great car. Owned one year yesterday, 12,400 miles and no squeaks or rattles.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
Juniorbean hit the nail on the head. If you like the car the way it is now and think it's worth the money, then go ahead and get it. It's like not wanting to buy a computer today because you know Intel will be coming out with a faster chip soon. If you're happy with the current product then go for it!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:18 PM
DHB
Instructor

Another suggestion - why not 3-year lease the 03 TLS? That way the next-gen TL will be past it's 1st year bugs when it's time to either jump out of the lease or sell the leased vehicle. If you don't like the new TL then you would be free to jump to another model at lease termination/car sale but enjoying the current TLS while you are waiting.