02 TL TYPE S Totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 TL TYPE S Totalled?

A sad day for me my 02 acura tl got hit by a red light runner. I seen her coming as im turning so i gun it hopeing she misses me but nope, hit me in the rear door causing me to spin out and then hit another. I was hoping the insurance wouldnt total it since i love it but seeing the doors are bent and messed up dont want to repair since it make let wind noise through. Now i hope they salvage it so i can pick up a 03 with under 20k miles. What this should the insurance reimburse me on? SHould i take out and replace with stock? Any ideas? Seat airbag went off. Any help is appreciate it. First and Worst accident for me.

The green beast that caused it all.

good bye tl.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
AZ Member.. :X

Cool

Sorry to hear about the crash, i hope your okay.

i dont think they will total it out...

they will only total it out if the repairs are over 70% of what the car is worth.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Bummer.

But thats minor. And if repaired properly it will be every bit as good as new
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM

The thing is that the back side got pushed into towards the trunk so the trunk doesnt open, nor do the side two doors. Insde the driver seat is done for and the center consoles messed up due to being pushed onto. The part the doors close into have been bent inwards. Im just confused. Hopefully the shop wil let me know tommorow.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
YoungatHeart

it doesn't look like a total here to me either...I just went through a rear end accident that caused about 8K damage and they never even considered totaling it...'03 TL-S...collisiong guy said Acuras hold their value too well...I was leary about the repairs but he did a great job...same problem with the trunk, and even had to "pull" the frame to straighten it out some and they still didn't total it...I think you'll come out just fine with a good collision man...fight for new parts, not reconditioned, if you can...Good Luck
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
ur gonna need a side seat airbag, new srs computer, rear driver door, and some rear quarter panel body work, fixable for a couple thousand. insurance probably wont total it.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but if you get a friend's shop to replace everything rather then repair and present that to the insurance company (it's not your fault anyway) it might be high enough where they'll just total it
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Instructor

I personally think thats going to be at least a $4000-5000 repair. If everything is twisted on the inside as you say then to put a car on a frame machine is pretty expensive. It sucks to see that car messed up dude. Sad to say but hopefully its a write off... As you said an 03 with under 20k would be pretty damn sweet.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
it doesnt look too bad, but frame damage would be questionable.. i think its fixable. good luck
Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I have dead hookers in

sorry to see that. You have such a nice car. Hope to see it up and running again.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Honda Nation

I hate seeing TL's smashed up. Man if that was my car I would have been so pissed. Hopefully you don't get screwed over by the insurance and you get either a new TL or your baby back on the road.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro

So did you flip out on the lady?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM

No i didnt. Couldnt do it. I am pissed about my car but dont know. That wasnt on my mind at the time. I was just hoping my axles or anything didnt bend. Only if that b!tc# knew how to press the brake pedal
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
damn it...not another one.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

glad you are ok, better the rear door then your door. Did she get ticketed for running a red? Did they put you in a rental car right away? Did you remember to take pictures of the scene?

I would push for whatever is in your best interests, if that is fixing it so you're not out anything or getting it totalled so you can get into a new car. Get a good body shop to look over the car before the adjusters come out to see it. If you want the body shop to total it they can, just ask nicely.

Then you'll need to get documents in order so they down low ball you on the cash payment. Remember, you weren't at fault, so your insurance shouldnt be paying out. It should be hers.

Did the cops come? Did you get a copy of the report? Officers name/bag number?

If you still have your wheels, I'd be inclided to swap them out for stock if they're going to total it.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ts_vaj
So did you flip out on the lady?
It never does ANY good to yell at someone who just hit you. Ever. It only makes you feel good for a moment and you've burned any good will they might have had to helping you later down the road.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
goodwill withthe driver? eff that man- I want their insurance details!!! thats who I have to be polite with- the agent and adjusters

Car repairs seem to cost far more on the west coast- Im guessing harmz is located somewhere like that???

If the body shop says it will be a total:
take off anything not stock- you wont get paid for any upgrades
if they total it, and it may be tougher to retrieve things once they proclaim it `theirs` by giving you a check

Airbag deployment is a biggie most of the time in deciding if totalled.
Have 2-3 body shops give an honest estimate- the insurance adjuster is not an idiot.
Many worked in body shops, and now they train them as to what really happens in what type crash.
They go to do their own inspection of the car, and low blue book minus value for previously existing damage-- is what they offer you.
There are plenty of pics showing how nice your car was before- so thats helpful to print out and have ready to show.

At least you werent in that one a few weeks ago,
With the flying cop cars hitting 3 -stopped at red light vehicles-
when 2 cops hit each other from converging streets and went airborne!!!!!

Hopefully it was at a red light camera intersection~ let those things do some good~
Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
goodwill withthe driver? eff that man- I want their insurance details!!! thats who I have to be polite with- the agent and adjusters

Car repairs seem to cost far more on the west coast- Im guessing harmz is located somewhere like that???

If the body shop says it will be a total:
take off anything not stock- you wont get paid for any upgrades
if they total it, and it may be tougher to retrieve things once they proclaim it `theirs` by giving you a check

Airbag deployment is a biggie most of the time in deciding if totalled.
Have 2-3 body shops give an honest estimate- the insurance adjuster is not an idiot.
Many worked in body shops, and now they train them as to what really happens in what type crash.
They go to do their own inspection of the car, and low blue book minus value for previously existing damage-- is what they offer you.
There are plenty of pics showing how nice your car was before- so thats helpful to print out and have ready to show.

At least you werent in that one a few weeks ago,
With the flying cop cars hitting 3 -stopped at red light vehicles-
when 2 cops hit each other from converging streets and went airborne!!!!!

Hopefully it was at a red light camera intersection~ let those things do some good~

Case in point. In my last accident, the cop wouldnt write a report. To prove my store the other persons insurance company had to confirm the story with their policy holder. If I had been a jerk, I'm sure it would have made it just a little bit easier for the person to say 'Um, actually he hit me, didn't he tell you that?' then I'm proving myself.

I'll say it again, blowing up at people NEVER gets you anywhere. Calm, cool and with an even tone is best to deal with people in situations like this. Blowing up like a child about your car makes it harder for everyone, including police to take you seriously. You also come off as an ass. Person broke the law, if you want to get into law enforcement, become a cop. Otherwise you get back at them by getting their insurance to pay for everything and having your car returned to you in better shape then it was hit in.

Yelling is for chumps, the real payback is done later. Adults, can control their temper, children cannot.

Try yelling at a flight attendant or anyone in the airline industry, and you can find yourself arrested. I think this is great, gets people acting more civilized.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Saw a guy yelling at a car rental guy a while back, tapped him on the shoulder and told him to chill. Guy turns around and tries to size me up, then turns to the service guy he was yelling at and asks him to call the police, he feels he's just been threatened and I'm going to beat him up. 5 minutes later the yeller is leaving without the car he booked, and I'm getting a free upgrade. The yeller was in the right, he made a booking and it got screwed up. There were many free cars I was later told, but it just didn't seem right to help the guy out after he just chewed out the rental guy.

Jerks get the jerk treatment.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Just got a call, im in stockton man, your home town Anyways they said cost is about 8k worth of damage. I told them if they dont total i want NEW and OEM only parts. Im really hoping they total it now. Theres that chance the axle may be damaged, the frame may have damage. Who knows what else i cant see. Accident happened in tracy. Going to pick up the police report hopefully monday. If they do total it i will be in a 07 tl type s that has 11k miles on it and guys asking 26 for it and its loaded. If not that then a 06 750Li with 38k miles for 40k. I maybe young but sports cars arnt for me. I LOVE LUXURY and i love my acura but as much as i hate to part i personally feel thats the best. I wouldnt feel the same driving a car i put most of my money earned into being a wrecked one causing problems. So much time and money spent i was hoping never to get rid of it even if i have to change 40 trannies, no joke. Now i gotta wait til monday to see what insurance says. The car has 130k on it now and which value do they go by? retail? private? trade in? thanks. Also cant drive it to different shops so had it towed due to the fact doors have a big gap and it isnt safe to drive.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing, going by what the NADA guide says, that the car will be totaled. It says for a 2002 TL-S with 130,000 miles that the high end of the value spectrum price wise would be $9,900. Keep in mind that is for the car being completely stock, with no navi and no oem options.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
that thing is totalled- 8 grand damage- and they go by LOWEST number in the book for value of what they want to pay you==more than 60% of value...its a write off
It would never be the same anyway

BTW- People who drive giant Green things- they think they always have the light!
Thats why they bought that nice bright color- so you can see and avoid them?
Was driver on the cell phone- was an earpice in use as required-
Old 09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rob-2
It never does ANY good to yell at someone who just hit you. Ever. It only makes you feel good for a moment and you've burned any good will they might have had to helping you later down the road.
I don't think I'd flip out...but I'd give em a "What the fuck?!" . They'll feel sorry and think about it in the future lol. I just hate those times when those careless people hit you and just come out with a little sorry and a stupid smile on their face. Every fucking time! All of my accidents involved me at chillin at a stoplight and someone hits me.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
$8k worth of damages will probably considered total. I think even the best kept 02 TL-S is worth only around $14k? I'm not sure though.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Well i stated to look at a second car now and came across this. I will be getting a new car regardless of this getting fixed or not, doesnt feel the same no more.

Heres teh details,

Vehicle Information
Type: 2006 BMW 750Li
VIN: WBAHN835XXXXXXXXXXX
Current Mileage: 15,000
Exterior: Jet Black
Interior: Crème Beige

Order Options:
Luxury Seating Package
- Heated steering wheel
- Ventilated front seats
- Power rear sunshade and rear side-windows shades
- Active seat for driver
Luxury Rear Seating Package
- Heated rear seats
- Ventilated rear seats
- Power rear sunshade and rear side-windows shades
- Power adjustable rear seats
Premium Sound Package
- Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound Processing
- 6-disc CD changer
Convenience Package
- Soft close automatic doors
- Automatic trunk opening and closing
Comfort Access System
Rear Side-Impact Airbags
Park Distance Control

Series Options:
Adaptive Headlights
Navigation System (Bluetooth integrated)
Voice Input System
Alarm System
Xenon Light
Cruise control
Automatic air conditioning
Glass-Roof, Electric
Auto-Dimming Rear-View Mirror
Dynamic Stability Control

also states,
MSRP on car was over $90,000 due to the Front and Rear Luxury Seating Packages.
The latter is definitely the rarest option found on 7-series and needs to be custom-ordered.
Asking price: REDUCED to $44,500 .

IS that a good deal? Called him and he said hes moving back to indonesia. Car fax shows it in customs being brought from germany and then registered in texas brand new in Title issued or updated
Registration issued or renewed
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Passed safety inspection
this was 07/2006
and put up for sale in 08/07 and new owner got it in 11/07 at 5100 miles. Everything seems to check out fine. Any features i should look for also? Does this have everything i could want? Anything i should look into? thanks As much as i hate to leave acura all i say is ill be back, very soon.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:10 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
that thing is totalled- 8 grand damage- and they go by LOWEST number in the book for value of what they want to pay you==more than 60% of value...its a write off
It would never be the same anyway

BTW- People who drive giant Green things- they think they always have the light!
Thats why they bought that nice bright color- so you can see and avoid them?
Was driver on the cell phone- was an earpice in use as required-
That's a load of and you know it. Body shops these days can do amazing things with crashed cars. (the good ones anyway) The equipment and technology available to body shops today are way better than they were even 10 years ago. The car can be brought back to factory specs. The question is will the insurance deem it cost effective.

EDIT: Harminder, if you're gonna ditch the car or it gets totalled, can I get a chance at those CL-S wheels? :wink:
Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 PM

Wont part the wheels cus i only have my zenettis other wise and im not giving the insurance company those, they can keep the damn stock.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow looks like the bimmer's value dropped a shitload lol. chris bangle needs to design around the Z4 style imo...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by harminder247
Wont part the wheels cus i only have my zenettis other wise and im not giving the insurance company those, they can keep the damn stock.
Dammit! If I could only figure out what junkyard this car's going to. (Assuming it's gonna be totaled)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 AM

Cars staying in the family . My dads going to get it fixed and keep it for work since its only 6 miles away. Engine is RAW on this car. Im sad acura doesnt make a V8. I just joined the bimmer forums and the guys there so far seem like total asses. Imma miss this. Im pretty sure i wont go there and just stay here .
Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 AM
hates the winter

What kind of warrant, and what does the warranty include? Once that warranty is up it's going to be a VERY expensive car to own. If money isn't an issue then it's not a problem.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:22 AM

I dont know man. I personally feel a tl is more reliable. I love how it looks. I think ill miss Vtec the most. Im so confused. Im like a dog stuck between a beef and chicken. I want both but have to chose one. Gas seem sabout the same. Tl shows 17/26 and bimmer shows 17/25. I think i could have more fun in a tl with a supercharger and still end up paying less then a 7 series and love it more and itll be new.