*Adding In-dash TV/DVD 4 non-navi keeping changer intaCT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Adding In-dash TV/DVD 4 non-navi keeping changer intaCT??

I am looking to add an in-dash TV/DVD to my non navi and place the unit in the slot above the radio but also would like to keep the 6-disc in dash changer in tact. Any ideas of manufacturers and any other ideas Thanks very much.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Like a mideget on a moped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what i was going to do.. and its possible... but the thing is its a lot of work and a lot of custom work... i was going to use the tray to hide the monitor and add a little motor to make it pop out but i was going to build it.. because it looks too small for a single din slot there...
Old 04-22-2004, 12:57 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieXo
thats what i was going to do.. and its possible... but the thing is its a lot of work and a lot of custom work... i was going to use the tray to hide the monitor and add a little motor to make it pop out but i was going to build it.. because it looks too small for a single din slot there...
I wanted to do the same thing cause I do not use the tray for shit, and it wi=ould look hella awesome if that could be done.... if you figure it out, then give me a holler.... I saw one guy just remove the entire unit and put a screen in the dash but I don't know how he did it or where the thread is even though i started it......
Old 04-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I contacted someone for this and they said there is a 1/2 din motorized lcd out there... $1k for parts and then $1k for labor.... once I heard it was a $2k job, I scratched that idea. If you have any better solutions, pass it along!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Like a mideget on a moped

lol woe 1k parts?? its more like 200-500 max.. i was going to do it... but i changed it around i got a diffrent deck and i put a 5.6'' monitor on top of that (still working on it) but ill take some pics of it tomorrow...
Old 04-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Instructor

http://www.utdallas.edu/~linc507/toys/P3120825.MOV

this is a vid of when i just put in the 7" screen before cleaning up with a faceplate. i tried to copy tim (snook) but couldnt manage to get it completely flush- the screen sticks out slightly when in the "closed" mode

pioneer avx 7300, blitzsafe hond.aux adapter, ~$600 final cost.. and i slapped in my ps2 to play dvd's... run anything you like, dreamcast, cube, or even a cheapie dvd player- all using RCA inputs

i physically shaved down the single din casing to make it fit in that note holder slot. silverknight over on ACL has a writeup using a panasonic motorized screen.

feel free to look around the "toys" directory for more pics
Old 04-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieXo
lol woe 1k parts?? its more like 200-500 max.. i was going to do it... but i changed it around i got a diffrent deck and i put a 5.6'' monitor on top of that (still working on it) but ill take some pics of it tomorrow...
StreetEffectz quoted me that.

Originally Posted by DuckBlue
http://www.utdallas.edu/~linc507/toys/P3120825.MOV

this is a vid of when i just put in the 7" screen before cleaning up with a faceplate. i tried to copy tim (snook) but couldnt manage to get it completely flush- the screen sticks out slightly when in the "closed" mode

pioneer avx 7300, blitzsafe hond.aux adapter, ~$600 final cost.. and i slapped in my ps2 to play dvd's... run anything you like, dreamcast, cube, or even a cheapie dvd player- all using RCA inputs

i physically shaved down the single din casing to make it fit in that note holder slot. silverknight over on ACL has a writeup using a panasonic motorized screen.

feel free to look around the "toys" directory for more pics
Nice! I wish I had the skills to do that.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DuckBlue

i physically shaved down the single din casing to make it fit in that note holder slot.
When you got the screen, did you have to take the whole thing apart to squeeze it in, and when you say shave, you had to cut down into it? I'd try it, but that Pioneer model is still to pricey for me to cut up. It looks like the paper tray slot is about a 1/2 DIN. I've seen a couple of 1/2 DIN motorized LCD's but they aren't brand name.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Instructor

the model retails for 1200, i got it for ~500ish refurb on ebay
i took the whole unit apart, and realized that only half of it was the screen. the bottom half is actually empty, because pioneer has other models that play cd or dvd in one unit (i assume thats where it normally goes)

i took a dremel and cut the side brackets in order to make it fit. i also had to cut out the infrared sensor (this model doesnt come with a remote, but has a sensor- go figure) and also had to rig the button that normally triggers the anti-theft mechanism.

i had already purchased the lcd, and didnt realize there was so much work involved in installation- and it was too late to return. and since i saw that it had been fitted into the slot before, i knew it could be done. so i bit the bullet and made the cuts.

had i known beforehand, i probably wouldnt have purchased this particular model.