**Need your Help - Keep 02TLSw/nav or get New TL or TSX w/ navs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question **Need your Help - Keep 02TLSw/nav or get New TL or TSX w/ navs

OK here is my dilema. Have a leased 02 TL-S W/nav. It has only 30K miles right now and is in excellent condition. The residual (my end of lease buyout cost) is $20,200. I have the interior package on it as well. This is +/- 200-300 from actual trade in value (KBB and Edmonds). Lease is 15Kpy /36 months. $476 pmonth.

I love my car, but I've always been a big spender, got gadgets and xpensive toys. Every year, I make more money, but then I get bigger and better things that I can then afford. Over the next few years, I'm looking to change my ways, start being wiser about spending money, cut all unnecessary costs, and live well below my income.

But I like the new TSX priomarilly because it is cheaper than the new TL, still has some power, cheaper on Gas (I live in CA), but mostly because of the new navi. I could turn in my car, and get a new TSX auto w/nav with $100 or less monthly payment. Sounds great, but the dilema is that buying out my car with a 60 month finance would not differ much from what my new payment would be if I leased the TSX. Please let me know if my numbers are right and any thoughts you have.

I do not think I could lease the new TL w/nav for $476 per month without putting down a substantial amount. So do you think there is a chance that I could use leverage from the value of my turn in to get that price? The most I would pay is my current payment of $476. I know the dealer would certify the car and can possibly flip it for 4 to 6k more.

And my last dileama is that I do not know weather or not it is wise to keep my car for another year or two. To keep it, I have to buy it from American Honda. My car still has warantee for another year and has 20k miles left on warantee. So eaither way the buyer is almost guaranteed the full year of warantee, even in CA. I think that adds marketability and value "now," but a year from now, I do not know if the value/marketability will drop considerably. Well enought that I could not break even from selling it or turn it in to a dealer. I would keep the car for a year or two more.

Also do I really have to do the 30K dealer service to turn the car in from a lease. The car just hit 30k, and the service is like $400 in CA. It would suck if I have to spend that money. DOes honda charge a penalty or something. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Racer

Any thoughts on any of the above points are very welcome.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd keep the TL-S..just because the TSX's are so under-rated in the hp category. My $.02.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:22 PM
TL-S driver

i'd say keep the 02 if your gonna get something better in a few years anyways. the new tl is nice but i personally don't like getting cars in their first year. the tl already got poor safety ratings in the 5mph bumper test. love the engine though. no tsx though, you'll hate it after owning the tl-s.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: **Need your Help - Keep 02TLSw/nav or get New TL or TSX w/ navs

Originally posted by Big Ped
I love my car, but I've always been a big spender, got gadgets and xpensive toys. Every year, I make more money, but then I get bigger and better things that I can then afford. Over the next few years, I'm looking to change my ways, start being wiser about spending money, cut all unnecessary costs, and live well below my income.
If this is truly the case, then shouldn't the first step be to PURCHASE your car? Unless you own your own business, deciding on a monthly lease payment to fit well below your income is the #1 "unnecessary cost". Don't be mesmerized by the 8 inch NAV.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by goldendragon576
i'd say keep the 02 if your gonna get something better in a few years anyways. the new tl is nice but i personally don't like getting cars in their first year. the tl already got poor safety ratings in the 5mph bumper test. love the engine though. no tsx though, you'll hate it after owning the tl-s.
Thanks for your input. Why would you say that I'd hate the TSX after owning the TLS. I've been reading about the TSX, and it appears to have lots of kick for its 200 horses at the low and high end revs. Its more solid and the ultimate thisng is the navi and sound systems are excellent. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Racer

Re: Re: **Need your Help - Keep 02TLSw/nav or get New TL or TSX w/ navs

Originally posted by edgalang
If this is truly the case, then shouldn't the first step be to PURCHASE your car? Unless you own your own business, deciding on a monthly lease payment to fit well below your income is the #1 "unnecessary cost". Don't be mesmerized by the 8 inch NAV.
Well put sir. But again, remember I'm going through a transitional phaze and it is hard to give it up fully. That is why I am looking to get comfort by rationalizing everything. For example, it may be "more satisfied" going with the TSX and tuning in my car as opposed to keeping my car (since the payments will be about the same). Plus I also want to know if keeping my car for a year or two could be possibly mmore costly in the long run given depreciation, interest rates, etc. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

Re: **Need your Help - Keep 02TLSw/nav or get New TL or TSX w/ navs

Originally posted by Big Ped

I do not think I could lease the new TL w/nav for $476 per month without putting down a substantial amount. So do you think there is a chance that I could use leverage from the value of my turn in to get that price? The most I would pay is my current payment of $476. I know the dealer would certify the car and can possibly flip it for 4 to 6k more.
476 amonth, y dont u just get a benz for 399 a month?? its the crappy c-class though. if u want to stay in the acura family, stick the TL, u wont enjoy the TSX as much.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I say keep her. If you can control your right foot high 20's is not hard to get on the freeway. I get 25mpg religiously driving V.C. to O.C. freeways 80+ windows down and always looking for a chance to hit VTECH.
you'd regret the switch to the TSX at every red light
Old 03-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Racer

Originally posted by yield2S
I say keep her. If you can control your right foot high 20's is not hard to get on the freeway. I get 25mpg religiously driving V.C. to O.C. freeways 80+ windows down and always looking for a chance to hit VTECH.
you'd regret the switch to the TSX at every red light
On the freeway, my car has great mileage. I got 34mpg on a trip to Toronto from NYC and 32mpg, on the way back (about two years ago). But in the streets I get from 220 - 240 miles from a full tank. And that's like 14 gals or so (the other three or so gals are in there when I get the red gas light). Anyhow, that's like 16 or 17 mpg of pure stree driving.

I don't get it at all, but its been like that for three years and that situation runs bycostal (in NY for 2 years and 1 year here in SoCal). I have to say though, man don't let me get in the front of the pack at a red light. Once its green, it's funny how I quickly leave everybody behind realy fast. Olympic Blvd is great for that and I'm on there every day on my way to work. I know I always gun it, but it isn't that bad. And that is why I got a powerful car anyway and pay $467pm, normal/semy agressive operation should not yeald 16mpg. And it would so suck not to be able to to do that with my car.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

i drove a TSX as a loaner car a few months back for about two and a half weeks.. nice damn car.. you're right, it's very solid, great steering and pretty quick with its 200 hp because it's lighter than the TL.. but, the TL is so much better.. it is faster, more stable at high speeds, much better looking, and is roomier.. the TSX feels like more of a younger person's early car, the TL-S basically felt more "grown up".. I have a 99 TL-P, and it feels faster, smoother, and more stable.. so i can only assume that your TL-S is even better and quicker.. you'll drive the TSX for the same price but definitely won't feel like you're getting what you're paying for comparing to the TL
Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Check your owners manual on what the 30K service entails. You can do it yourself for a lot less than $400. You can did the service yourself, save your receipts for parts/lubricants and still maintain your warrantee.

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, check out an independent shop that specializes in Honda-Acura - they will be a bit less expensive.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by pca7ggr
Check your owners manual on what the 30K service entails. You can do it yourself for a lot less than $400. You can did the service yourself, save your receipts for parts/lubricants and still maintain your warrantee.

If you are not a do-it-yourselfer, check out an independent shop that specializes in Honda-Acura - they will be a bit less expensive.
I'm definitely not a do it yourself guy. I can do that with computer systems, but no way with auto mechanics. how do you find the independent shops. i've never seen one. Thanks for your input.