$47 custom made short ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 12:13 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking $47 custom made short ram intake

Well yesterday I went and bought a chrome airfilter from Auto Zone for $22 with tax. Today I purchased 5 feet of some 2 1/2 inch inside diameter 3 inch outside diameter PVC pipe, I also purchased a 90 degreee elbow for the PVC and a brass nipple for the rubber hose that connects to the intake. The total cost for the PVC, 90 degree elbow and brass nipple was $16 from Ace hardware.
I then went to another ace hardware where I purchased a 3 inch rubber peice and some thick 2 mil rubber tape for pipes, total cost was $9.

I took all this stuff and cut the PVC pipe to 12 inches in length. I then cut a 4 inch peice of the samve PVC pipe. I attached the air filter to the 4 inch peice, then attached the 4 inch peice to the 90 degree elbow. I then took the 12 peice of PVC and hooked it into the other open hole on the 90 degree elbow.
I had taken the stock airbox out already and I put the peices in the engine bay to make sure they fit and also where the placement of the one rubber hose and the one metal hose. I drilled the hole for the rubber hose and attached the threaded brass nipple into the 12 inch PVC pipe. I then hooked up the intake to the throttle body with the 3 inch rubber adapter that had two hose clamps on it. I tightened them down with the intake in place and marked where the metel hose would be inserted into the rubber adapter. I drilled the hole in the rubber adapter then I took them all inside and cleaned them out with water to make sure the engine doesn't suck up any little PVC or rubber fragments.

The moment of triumph is when I hooked it up with my friends standing there and started it in the garage. It came to life after 4000 RPM with a loud throaty roar!! I then made sure all the connections were tight and then took it for a test drive!!!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE AN INTAKE MAKES!!!

I am quite happy with the results and will post pictures soon!!! The PVC is white and looks pretty dumb under the hood. I think I will paint it black tommorow!!!

Fire any questions away!! I think this is a great, cheap mod that anyone(almost) can do with just a little money and immediate results!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Here is what I originally had on my TL before I went to the CAI. I bought the black rubber elbow from Home Depot.