your opinion on which wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking your opinion on which wheel

Hello everybody

I am new to AZ and trying to "edumacate" myself prior to changing wheels on my 06 RL. Can you advise me on this endeavor and point out important considerations I might be overlooking of these 3 options? then I'll probably take the rims to be chromed.

1. 7-spoke BMW wheel 18 x 8 with 43 offset
2. 7-spoke BMW wheel 18 x 9 with 55 offset
3. remanufactured TL wheels 18 x 8 with 55 offset

I prefer the styling of this 7-spoke BMW wheel the most (5x120 pattern), however the fitment is not exact. Additionally, I don't want to order one of each BMW wheel just to see if they fit or not. What do you think about my options?

- won't the 43 mm offset require spacers? I read that somebody ran a 19 dia 42 offset MDX rim and still needed 6 mm spacers
- how much spacer can you use before you have to change out the lugs also?
- will the 9 inch width on 55 offset push back into the car?

- what do you guys think about quality of remanufactured rims vs aftermarket options?

mahalo
-Rick
Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
as stated many times you cannot go off just size and offset. you have to account for spoke design for proper clearance
The following users liked this post:
Big Big Rick (08-24-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Legend
as stated many times you cannot go off just size and offset. you have to account for spoke design for proper clearance
^^^Werd.

Also, I think every set of BMW wheels we've seen on 2G RL's have required spacers to clear the calipers. The TL wheels will also require spacers to clear though. Why not just find a proper set of wheels that actually fit the car?
Big Big Rick (08-24-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
sweet another wheel thread
Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Wheel poll without pictures is a bad poll.
mixwell (08-22-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 01:36 PM
10th Gear

Mahalo.
You summed it up great. This has been my experience since I started this quest earlier this year. A good coach simplifies the key points so it is easier for the athletes to execute the plan.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
10th Gear

Mahalon Carbon Legend
(sorry, I apologize for missing your name previously... I'm still figuring out message board mechanics).

You summed it up great. This has been my experience since I started this quest earlier this year. A good coach simplifies the key points so it is easier for the athletes to execute the plan.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:31 PM
10th Gear

Also, I think every set of BMW wheels we've seen on 2G RL's have required spacers to clear the calipers. The TL wheels will also require spacers to clear though. Why not just find a proper set of wheels that actually fit the car?[/QUOTE]

@ B Dogg Prelude:

Mahalo for your feedback.

I'm trying to find a proper set of wheels that fit my 06 RL, & am really trying to work within the ranks, but the RL wheel specs have very few options for rim choices. For 2006 I have just one option for the larger 18" wheel: the A-Spec. Newer RL's have stock 18s but again, few options, and none alluring to me. In 2009 the TL adopted the same hub and rim specifications as the 2006 RL and came with a stock 18" wheel, so there is very high, if not perfect compatibility, but again same old story; limited options. (but they do have ONE model I am considering)

I think many fitment issues arise when people use 19" rims that were not designed for heavy, AWD, sedans, which requires them to use spacers to clear the Brembo brakes up front and high offsets so they don't push into the fender.

So I started looking outside the Acura family for options and found lots of BMWs with the same, rare, 5 x 120 bolt pattern, and there are TONS of BMW wheel designs out there. But despite lots (and lots) of searching, most of their rims had shallow offsets. However, a few had deep offsets (WOW ANOTHER 55mm!) but they were only the back wheels of certain staggered sets. And then I noticed BMW was using these wheels on *their* AWD sedans, duh. My direct competitor had my dream wheel, but it was in a staggered set .

So that is how I ended up coming to you guys for advice. I finally found this wheel I really want, but it is not offered by Honda/Acura AND, it is staggered. My plan is to break the staggered set and run either the "rear" wheels all around or the "front" wheels all around, but only use this one particular style.

So my dilemma is, should I use the back wheels or the front wheels? The difference is the back rim is 1" wider (but the same 55 offset) while the front rim has a shallow offset (like many non AWD Acuras) but the same 8" rim width.

So I am happy to be the "test pilot" on this particular issue of fitment. I just want input from the Generals on which plane might be easier to fly first to avoid return shipping costs. I am not running a poll, I am seeking pros and cons on this ideology from the gurus with insight.

I feel like I could blaze a trail for others too on this, and am excited about the opportunity to do so. And after I get pics I'll fill out a garage profile for everybody to see
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
The problem that you're going to run into is that the rear BMW wheels are probably going to be too wide. The tires will rub inside the wheel wells on the front during low speed full lock turns and rub the fenders in the rear under aggressive cornering and over dips when the suspension compresses. And they too are not going to clear the front calipers on the RL.

BMW's tend to have deeper inset brake discs and calipers that do not require as much spoke clearance. The RL's front calipers are extended well past the front hubs. This is the reason that it is difficult to fit concave and/or deep dish wheels on the front of our cars. Take a look at the picture below. Now imagine how much the spokes have to come out to clear that brake caliper.

Unless you're okay with running spacers, something that I highly advise against, I would stop looking at BMW wheels.
Big Big Rick (08-25-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
RonJon Sport Design is the first and only wheel company that is designed only for Honda/Acuras. Look there. http://ronjonwheels.com/wheels.html

We have seen numerous TSW wheels run here on the RLs as well with no clearance issues. Mallory, Jerez, Bardo, Lodrina, Nurburgring, and Silverstone have all been run on RLs without issue. TSW makes some of the lightest, strongest wheels that run under $1,500/set. Check them out too. http://www.tsw.com/fitment/alloy-whe...cura&model=RL+ <- This link is filtered for guaranteed RL fitment.
Big Big Rick (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Thanks 007. RonJon Wheels are built specifically for the RL. They are hubcentric for a vibration free ride without the need of hubrings, and they clear the caliper without the need for spacers or adapters. Here are some previews of the RonJon wheels on the RL in 18":

(more pics here
http://www.ronjonwheels.com/rl-gallery2.html

Big Big Rick (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

yup that first silver car is just like mine.

Wow, I never realized it looked so good in pictures.
My nephew is all into VIP styles and was encouraging me to go in that direction, although I don't see myself going into it as deep as him
..maybe I'll go just to my calves

Mahalo everybody for your input

I guess I got some more work to do researching this stuff out

...what a great forum

- Rick
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
That being said, a set of lowering springs and 19" wheels would be ideal, halfway between VIP and daily driver. Below are a few silver examples of Acura RLs with 19" and 20" RJ wheels, some lowered, some stock ride height: