Run-flat tire problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Run-flat tire problem??

Hi...
I'm looking for a new car and RL seems really the best choice (tech package).
But recently I saw some complaints about run-flat tires that they are expensive to fix or replace, can not be repalced to non-run-flat tires because the wheels are designed only for the NF, wears way too fast (last only 6k-8k miles), etc.
Do you have any experience with the RF tires, good or bad?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have moved your thread to the tire subforums.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Check out the Honda Odyssey Touring for PAX

I don't think there is enough experience with the PAX on the RL for anyone to be able to answer many of those questions. This system was used on the Honda Odyssey Touring last year. I have one of those as well as an RL.

At first I was nervous about the PAX system as it is a unique wheel which can only be used with Michelin's PAX tire and requires special tools to do the tire replacement. However, it has been reported in the Odyssey forums that many, but not all Honda dealers, have spare wheels with tires in stock. When a tire or wheel fails it appears that they have been replacing those. I believe they pick up 100% of the cost if it happens in the first two years. My understanding is that they are sending PAX units for the RL out to most Acura dealers. Some Michelin dealers have the units and necessary tools. However, you could be out overnight waiting for a unit but you can drive for, I think, 125 miles on a flat at a lower speed (55?).

So, why PAX? It appears that has a firmer sidewall and handles better than most stock tires. That is my experience with the Odyssey after having test driven the other models. The RL stock tires I found very unimpressive and have spent to money to upgrade those to Pilot Sport AS. I would think the PAX system would improve the handling on the RL over the stock tires. On the Odyssey it is also a taller, firmer tire so it improves gas mileage a little bit. So, far after 9,000 miles I don't see much wear, but only time will tell about the durability. Also, you pick up a fair amount of storage room in the trunk with no spare.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Racer

I tested drove a 06 RL with the tech package today. The ride with the run-flat tires are the same as my 05 with the Pilot Sports A/S.

The service guy did say that not many Acura dealers are equiped yet to change the PAX tires. Acura of Boston doesn't have the equiment yet.

On the other hand, no one that I could find in the Boston area has the Pilot Sports A/S in stock.