Run Flat Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Run Flat Question

I can't seem to find this after a few searches, but can you replace the run flat tires with standard tires? How will this impact the Tire pressure sensors? I've read some threads that touched on the design of these wheels, which impact the removal of the tires..... Also, how much do the PAX tires go for each? thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Q: How do car dealers service PAX System?
A: Car dealers normally only replace complete PAX System units, meaning they will take a flat tire-wheel assembly off and put a new PAX System on a vehicle. In some cases, the vehicle dealer may also be an authorized PAX System servicing location and will be able to perform repairs or replacements. For complete information on what constitutes a warranty replacement, please see the warranty for details. Furthermore, please see the following question to address when a consumer is responsible for purchasing an entire PAX System assembly versus simply replacing the tire.
Q: What's the cost to replace a PAX System tire?
A: A replacement PAX System tire retails for approximately 10% to 15% more than the price of the comparable traditional Michelin tire.
Q: Do I need to replace the entire wheel each time I need new tires?
A: No. PAX System tires that are worn out are replaced just like traditional tires. However, these tires should only be replaced at a Michelin-authorized servicing dealer with the appropriate PAX System-capable mounting/demounting equipment.
I heard from another site that an entire tire/wheel assembly runs $650 for an Odyssey.

http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...ystem_faq.html
Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
^ geez.... but why can't you just replace them for traditional tires if you so choose? Very informative post.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
^ geez.... but why can't you just replace them for traditional tires if you so choose? Very informative post.
You probably could...but you may need different rims as the PAX tires mount differently compared to traditional tires, and PAX compatible rims may not work with traditional tires. Don't know for sure though.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
You will absolutely need new rims. PAX rims are not only metric, but are constructed differently so a deflated PAX will not separate from the rim like a standard tire.

Similarly, a standard tire will not fit on the PAX rims.

If you do switch out PAX rims, I do not know what happens with the TPMS, and I know for sure, there is no spare.