Recommended Tire Pressure? Tire installer says 39PSI???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Tire Pressure? Tire installer says 39PSI???

I recently had new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires installed on my 2008 Acura RL. I noticed the installer inflated the tires to 39 PSI. I believe the recommended PSI on this car is 32 PSI. I called the installer to find out if I was wrong and they told me that the recommended PSI for these tires is 39 PSI and that I should not follow the Acura specifications since these are not the OEM equipment tires. I've never heard that before I tend to disagree, but wanted to get this groups' thoughts. Should I decrease the pressure down to 32 or stick with 39? I don't want uneven wear on the tires. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
I would drop the pressure down to the door jam specs.
make sure you're doing it COLD.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Isn't door jam for OEM? I'd think the properties of the tires themselves would dictate the best pressure a lot more than the characteristics of the car, no?

Also heard the #1 reason for blow-outs is under-inflation. So ever since hearing that I run 2 PSI over door-jam recommendation - better gas mileage and safer in summer.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
The door jam spec should be followed over the tire spec. I will let BDogg confirm, but that is my opinion on the matter.

I think the OEM spec is too low for the RL. It is 32 front/30 rear. I try to keep mine around 35/34 when cold.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking More is better, right?

I run mine higher than oem, too.

I took it into the Texaco station ... and had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each -- which alarmed the attendant, until I explained that these were "experimental" tires.
But fifty pounds each didn't help the cornering, so I went back a few hours later and told him I wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously. "Not me," he said, handing me the air hose. "Here. They're your tires. You do it."
"What's wrong?" I asked. "You think they can't take seventy-five?"
He nodded, moving away as I stooped to deal with the left front. "You're damn right, he said. "Those tires want twenty-eight in the front and thirty-two in the rear. Hell, fifty's dangerous, but seventy-five is crazy. They'll explode!"
I shook my head and kept filling the left front. "I told you," I said. "Sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They're special. I could load them up to a hundred."
"God almighty!" he groaned. "Don't do that here."
"Not today," I replied. "I want to see how they corner with seventy-five."

As it turned out, the Whale behaved very nicely with the altered tire pressures. The ride was a trifle rough; I could feel every pebble on the highway, like being on roller skates in a gravel pit ... but the thing began cornering in a very stylish manner...
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballinger
I run mine higher than oem, too.

I took it into the Texaco station ... and had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each -- which alarmed the attendant, until I explained that these were "experimental" tires.
But fifty pounds each didn't help the cornering, so I went back a few hours later and told him I wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously. "Not me," he said, handing me the air hose. "Here. They're your tires. You do it."
"What's wrong?" I asked. "You think they can't take seventy-five?"
He nodded, moving away as I stooped to deal with the left front. "You're damn right, he said. "Those tires want twenty-eight in the front and thirty-two in the rear. Hell, fifty's dangerous, but seventy-five is crazy. They'll explode!"
I shook my head and kept filling the left front. "I told you," I said. "Sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They're special. I could load them up to a hundred."
"God almighty!" he groaned. "Don't do that here."
"Not today," I replied. "I want to see how they corner with seventy-five."

As it turned out, the Whale behaved very nicely with the altered tire pressures. The ride was a trifle rough; I could feel every pebble on the highway, like being on roller skates in a gravel pit ... but the thing began cornering in a very stylish manner...
LOL?? WTF does this even mean? I thought it was a joke, but then I was like "uh... HUH?"
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
copy paste fail
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Pearls on swine kind of literary reference.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinger
i run mine higher than oem, too.

i took it into the texaco station ... And had the tires pumped up to fifty pounds each -- which alarmed the attendant, until i explained that these were "experimental" tires.
but fifty pounds each didn't help the cornering, so i went back a few hours later and told him i wanted to try seventy five. He shook his head nervously. "not me," he said, handing me the air hose. "here. They're your tires. you do it."
"what's wrong?" i asked. "you think they can't take seventy-five?"
he nodded, moving away as i stooped to deal with the left front. "you're damn right, he said. "those tires want twenty-eight in the front and thirty-two in the rear. Hell, fifty's dangerous, but seventy-five is crazy. They'll explode!"
i shook my head and kept filling the left front. "i told you," i said. "sandoz laboratories designed these tires. They're special. I could load them up to a hundred."
"god almighty!" he groaned. "don't do that here."
"not today," i replied. "i want to see how they corner with seventy-five."

as it turned out, the whale behaved very nicely with the altered tire pressures. The ride was a trifle rough; i could feel every pebble on the highway, like being on roller skates in a gravel pit ... But the thing began cornering in a very stylish manner...
qft.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I definitely wouldn't run them at 39psi. Honestly, it's really up to you and what you want out of the tire. You can't really go wrong with running them at the OEM specs. Personally, I was running my Conti DW's at about 36psi to try to get a little bit more responsiveness out of them. I frequently check my tread depths across the entire contact patch and they were starting to wear more in the centers so I backed the air pressure back down a little. Again, it's kind of up to what you want out of the tire.

More air pressure will typically give you better gas mileage and more turn in response from your tires. Less air pressure typically creates better overall lateral grip at the limit. As long as the handling feels mostly neutral, (or to your liking), I would suggest monitoring how the tires are wearing across the tread for the first 5k-10k miles. If they seem to be wearing more in the center of the tread back the air pressure off a little bit. If they seem to be wearing more on the shoulders increase the pressure.

Never go off what the max cold psi stated on the sidewall is. This is just the maximum amount of air pressure the tire is designed to be inflated to. It has nothing to do with what those tires should be inflated to on the vehicle they are installed on.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballinger
Pearls on swine kind of literary reference.
Hunter S.

Last edited by sonny@tirerack; 09-26-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bdoggprelude
i definitely wouldn't run them at 39psi. Honestly, it's really up to you and what you want out of the tire. You can't really go wrong with running them at the oem specs. Personally, i was running my conti dw's at about 36psi to try to get a little bit more responsiveness out of them. I frequently check my tread depths across the entire contact patch and they were starting to wear more in the centers so i backed the air pressure back down a little. Again, it's kind of up to what you want out of the tire.

More air pressure will typically give you better gas mileage and more turn in response from your tires. Less air pressure typically creates better overall lateral grip at the limit. As long as the handling feels mostly neutral, (or to your liking), i would suggest monitoring how the tires are wearing across the tread for the first 5k-10k miles. If they seem to be wearing more in the center of the tread back the air pressure off a little bit. If they seem to be wearing more on the shoulders increase the pressure.

Never go off what the max cold psi stated on the sidewall is. This is just the maximum amount of air pressure the tire is designed to be inflated to. It has nothing to do with what those tires should be inflated to on the vehicle they are installed on.
+1. You can definitely tweak the pressure up or down based on your preferences and driving style, but pressure settings are specific to the vehicle (except for the max psi on the sidewall) not the individual tire.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I like to keep mine at:

Spring - Summer: 35psi front, 34psi rear.
Fall - Winter: 37psi front, 36 psi rear.

The reason the psi is up by 2 for the fall and winter seasons is to compensate for the cold weather, which decreases the pressure.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. Per your suggestions I'm going to lower the PSI to 36 and then monitor the tread depth and adjust as needed.

I have noticed the car is much more responsive with the higher PSI, but I don't want to sacrifice longevity for handling. :-)

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by briand92
Thanks all for the advice. Per your suggestions I'm going to lower the PSI to 36 and then monitor the tread depth and adjust as needed.

I have noticed the car is much more responsive with the higher PSI, but I don't want to sacrifice longevity for handling. :-)

Thanks,
Brian
Glad to help. Keep in mind you get different handling characteristics each way. More pressure will give you the responsiveness while less pressure will give you the lateral grip. Unfortunately, the RL is lacking responsiveness more than overall grip so...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
36 psi front and 37 psi rear with Michellin Sports AS ZR.
Having 3 sets of these tires on my 05 RL, I find this combo just perfect for me.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
I definitely wouldn't run them at 39psi. Honestly, it's really up to you and what you want out of the tire. You can't really go wrong with running them at the OEM specs. Personally, I was running my Conti DW's at about 36psi to try to get a little bit more responsiveness out of them. I frequently check my tread depths across the entire contact patch and they were starting to wear more in the centers so I backed the air pressure back down a little. Again, it's kind of up to what you want out of the tire.

More air pressure will typically give you better gas mileage and more turn in response from your tires. Less air pressure typically creates better overall lateral grip at the limit. As long as the handling feels mostly neutral, (or to your liking), I would suggest monitoring how the tires are wearing across the tread for the first 5k-10k miles. If they seem to be wearing more in the center of the tread back the air pressure off a little bit. If they seem to be wearing more on the shoulders increase the pressure.

good advice. I'm with bdogg on this, 35-36psi seems about perfect in the TL on the Michelins. 40psi is pretty high.