Pirelli P7 Tires in 17 in OEM size

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Pirelli P7 Tires in 17 in OEM size

Saw these available in our OEM size and was curious if anyone has these and their thoughts and impressions?

They're relatively new from what I've read, but they seem to be getting decent reviews and they're moderately priced. All season as well.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Tire rack has them rated #1. They have a 70,000 mile tread warranty. I am thinking about buying these for my 2010. Was quoted a price out the door with a hazard warranty for $950. Tire rack has them for $744 plus shipping of $60. My local Acura dealer said would mount and balance for $80. Discount Tire price is $70 more but lifetime balance, rotation and the hazard warranty is a good deal. Go to Tire rack and read all the reviews for them. You can filter for Acura's. I will be buying in the next month.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There are two Pirelli P7 Cinturato's FYI. There's the non-plus and the plus. The non-plus is rated at 50k treadwear warranty and comes in at 9 or 10 on Tire Rack's Grand Touring tires list. The Plus comes in at 1 with a 70k treadwear warranty and higher speed ratings.

I bought the non-plus from Discount Tire Direct, because they didn't have the Plus version in the size that I needed for my 19" rims. That being said, I'm VERY happy with the tire so far. I've put about 400 miles on them and they are damn quiet and way more responsive in the steering compared to the DWS tires I had previously.

Unless you absolutely need the "ultra high performance" tire, I don't think there's a better all-season tire out there right now.
Frenetic (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by FredS
Tire rack has them rated #1. They have a 70,000 mile tread warranty. I am thinking about buying these for my 2010. Was quoted a price out the door with a hazard warranty for $950. Tire rack has them for $744 plus shipping of $60. My local Acura dealer said would mount and balance for $80. Discount Tire price is $70 more but lifetime balance, rotation and the hazard warranty is a good deal. Go to Tire rack and read all the reviews for them. You can filter for Acura's. I will be buying in the next month.
You're also not figuring sales tax, something TireRack now adds to your order once you get to the checkout screen. Go get your tires, or at least pay for them and get them on order, this weekend at Discount. You will get a $100 rebate. If you finance even a portion of them with Discount's credit card you will receive another $100 rebate and 6 months interest free financing. The sale is on Friday and Saturday. It's a good enough sale that I'm buying my summer tires this weekend and I won't even use them until May.

The P7 A/S+ is a great tire. Probably one of the best riding and quietest tires in the industry. Snow traction is far above average and ice traction is among the best for all-season tires. Just don't plan on getting 70k on them. All that said, I would trade a little bit of that wear and ride and take a shot at the brand new P-Zero All-Season Plus. That tire looks promising.
Frenetic (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Drifting

BTW, I just realized the post I replied to was from somebody with a 2010 RL with, (I'm assuming), 18" wheels and the original thread was asking about 17" wheels. To FredS, my advice still stands concerning giving the P-Zero A/S+ a try.

To Frenetic, the P-Zero is not made in the stock 17" tire size. In a 245/50R17, as long as you're not looking for anything high performance, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Pirelli P7 Plus, Bridgestone Serenity Plus or Continental Pure Contact. All 3 tires will be relatively comparable with each having certain areas they are a little better at than the others but being better than average in all categories.
Frenetic (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I just got the P7 all season installed due to an unrepairable flat. Had to junk three relatively good Michelin Pilots due to them discounting our size.

First off these tires are quiet as hell. The difference between these and what I thought were quiet, yet somewhat worn-down Michelins were dramatic to say the least. Super quiet. I'm hearing things I never heard before because of the reduced noise, which I didn't even realize were there on my pilots.

Can't really comment on the dynamics as I drive in too much traffic to slalom, but they are smooth.

However, the sidewalks seem much softer than the pilots. I guess it makes sense since the pilots are more performance-orientated, but it was a very noticeable difference. These tires seem "floaty" by comparison, bouncy-like and I'm dead serious. My "jarring" suspension not necessarily improved, but changed. I like it better, but others might not.

Another strange thing, my pull to the right alignment issue disappeared with these tires. It's straight as an arrow hands-free steering. So my tires were causing the alignment issue after all, which makes sense since the dealer said I was within specs, yet it still pulled to the right.

All-in-all I like the tires a lot. They fit my desire for a more insulated, cruising tire experience. But, the big test--and the reason I raved about those pilots--will come in the first big rain/snow event.

Last edited by Frenetic; 02-12-2015 at 06:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
BDoggPrelude (02-12-2015), brinox (02-17-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the informative review on the P7. The floaty feeling you're getting is most likely, like you said, the difference between the quasi-performance Pilot's you had on before vs the more touring type tire you have now with the P7's. I will be interested to see how many miles you get on them. I sell a lot of P7's and, like any tire driven on Colorado's abrasive roads, they rarely see anything near the 70k Pirelli rates them for. Even though you are not feeling any kind of pulling now, I would recommend getting an alignment done just to be sure everything is square. Enjoy your new tires.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
BTW, I just realized the post I replied to was from somebody with a 2010 RL with, (I'm assuming), 18" wheels and the original thread was asking about 17" wheels. To FredS, my advice still stands concerning giving the P-Zero A/S+ a try.

To Frenetic, the P-Zero is not made in the stock 17" tire size. In a 245/50R17, as long as you're not looking for anything high performance, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Pirelli P7 Plus, Bridgestone Serenity Plus or Continental Pure Contact. All 3 tires will be relatively comparable with each having certain areas they are a little better at than the others but being better than average in all categories.
THANKS for the rebate info. When I called Tuesday to get the price the sales rep did not mention. Saving $100 on a $950 purchase ain't bad. Really appreciate your help.

Last edited by FredS; 02-13-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
You're also not figuring sales tax, something TireRack now adds to your order once you get to the checkout screen. Go get your tires, or at least pay for them and get them on order, this weekend at Discount. You will get a $100 rebate. If you finance even a portion of them with Discount's credit card you will receive another $100 rebate and 6 months interest free financing. The sale is on Friday and Saturday. It's a good enough sale that I'm buying my summer tires this weekend and I won't even use them until May.

The P7 A/S+ is a great tire. Probably one of the best riding and quietest tires in the industry. Snow traction is far above average and ice traction is among the best for all-season tires. Just don't plan on getting 70k on them. All that said, I would trade a little bit of that wear and ride and take a shot at the brand new P-Zero All-Season Plus. That tire looks promising.

The Tire Rack will only collect sales tax on the shipment if it is shipped to a state where we have a physical presence: Indiana, Connecticut, Nevada, Colorado, Georgia or Louisiana. Regarding the tire, the P7 AS Plus is a very nice touring style tire. It is quiet and comfortable with very good winter traction for an all season tire. I consistently get glowing feedback from customers on this tire. A very capable tire in most respects. As BDogg stated however, they are a little optimistic on the mileage warranty.

Last edited by sonny@tirerack; 02-18-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Saw these available in our OEM size and was curious if anyone has these and their thoughts and impressions?

They're relatively new from what I've read, but they seem to be getting decent reviews and they're moderately priced. All season as well.
Theese tires are amazing my favorite so far great buy i have oem 17 inch rim must buy p7
Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brinox
There are two Pirelli P7 Cinturato's FYI. There's the non-plus and the plus. The non-plus is rated at 50k treadwear warranty and comes in at 9 or 10 on Tire Rack's Grand Touring tires list. The Plus comes in at 1 with a 70k treadwear warranty and higher speed ratings.

I bought the non-plus from Discount Tire Direct, because they didn't have the Plus version in the size that I needed for my 19" rims. That being said, I'm VERY happy with the tire so far. I've put about 400 miles on them and they are damn quiet and way more responsive in the steering compared to the DWS tires I had previously.

Unless you absolutely need the "ultra high performance" tire, I don't think there's a better all-season tire out there right now.
Brinox, only the plus is shown on the pirelli website and tirerack, how did you get a non-plus as they seem to be discontinued? Also the non plus is great but the plus is terrible, but the plus is the only one available now?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thefork
Brinox, only the plus is shown on the pirelli website and tirerack, how did you get a non-plus as they seem to be discontinued? Also the non plus is great but the plus is terrible, but the plus is the only one available now?
The P7 Plus is the better tire, not the old version.
thefork (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The P7 Plus is the better tire, not the old version.
Better than serenity plus?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Better than serenity plus?
The Pirelli will probably be better when it comes to ride, noise and snow traction. The Bridgestone will probably have better dry handling and last longer.
thefork (02-22-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is how! Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

I'm now on the MDX A-Spec rims that I bought last fall (finally), so my tire size is appropriately different than the stock 17/18" RL size.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Instructor

My gas mileage went up a legitimate 2 miles per gallon. At least for the first full tank on these things. Didn't alter my driving patterns, same thing as always. Surprising to say the least.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just completed my first 1000 miles on my new P7 Plus fitted on my 2011 RL.
P7 replaced Pilot S3 which became extremely noisy after 1 year.
I was told that I will lose steering response and dry grip with the P7 compared to S3, so far I cannot feel any of these.
The P7 seems to ride just the same as the S3 without the noise.
I am very happy with the P7s and would like them on my 2014 IS but the sizes are not available as yet.
If you an RL driver I am sure you will enjoy the P7s.
My RL is dead quite as if Dolby B and C noise reduction has been added.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Put about 5k miles on these so far. Still super quiet and smooth.

Someone asked about the tread life and wear. Can't really tell how quickly they are wearing, but the tread blocks still look exceedingly thick and new to me.

One caveat, though, is that these tires "tram line" down freeways with the those fine, parallel grooves. I never noticed it in my previous michelins, but with these tires I actually have to sometimes make tiny corrections to steering on these surfaces. It feels "wobbly" almost at times. Nothing that worries or unnerves me, but it was surprising since the michelins I had were completely unperturbed on the same freeway.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

I've driven 4k miles on my P7 Plus on my 2005 RL.
P7 replaced DWS tires (got 50k miles out of them)
I don't have any complaints so far and don't think I will.
very pleased with the quietness and response, grip, etc;
Looking forward to getting close to 70k from my P7's. Any RL owners will like these.
Price, tread warranty and Tire Rack shipping, not to mention local installer mounted and balanced for $12/tire based on their relationship with Tire Rack.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenetic
My gas mileage went up a legitimate 2 miles per gallon. At least for the first full tank on these things. Didn't alter my driving patterns, same thing as always. Surprising to say the least.
Going from old worn out tyres to new ones will usually do this.
You've now got a bigger rolling circumference so will travel further per wheel revolution..

I ordered a set of the P7s for our RL a feww days ago($765 fitted) hope they are better than the last set of Hankooks (which were cheap).
Then today I find this thread, talk about backwards research :-)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Tread depths for a brand new tire are usually 1/4". The circumference is directly proportional to the radius. At 20 mpg, a 2 mpg increase is 10%. 10% of our tire radius is closer to 1.25", not 1/4".

Besides, if car makers could get free mpgs by upping diameter, Civics would roll out on 20"s. The hardly scientific observation of a 2 mpg increase is likely due to a lower rolling resistance tire compound.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Advanced

I'll play math then as I've finished round 1 of the suspension fight with the RL.

I'll go with 1/4".
That actually gives 3% difference in circumference.
25mpg is more realistic (unless it's all/mostly urban).
Add that to the increased diameter of the tyre at speed (which most have no idea happens, let alone to what degree).

Throw in a touch of placebo and you're there

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Besides, if car makers could get free mpgs by upping diameter, Civics would roll out on 20"s.
No they wouldn't.
Gearing makes a massive difference to mpg as well as the obvious stuff.
Overgearing something with oversize tyres will make mpg much worse unless you only ever cruise the highway.

The hardly scientific observation of a 2 mpg increase is likely due to a lower rolling resistance tire compound.
Part of the overall effect.
But neither of us are going to explain it fully unless we had fitted some very special equipment to his car before the tyres.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
add me to the list of P7 All Season Plus owners! Love them so far! My last tires were Michelin Primacy MXM4. Toyo Versado before that. Moving on up! LOL
Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Just a quick update for anyone interested...

Done a couple of thousand miles on them now and have no complaints at all. A lot of it in snow and poor conditions.
Have to turn off the TCS to have fun now.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Pirelli P7's or Continental Pure Contact for my 2014 TL. Base with Tech (no AWD)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If your roads are filled with pot holes you may end up with bent rims and bubbles with the P7 as happened on my RL.
TL being a heavy car I like to suggest Michellin Pilot A/3 Plus or Continental DWS 06.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Instructor

I pulled the trigger and ordered four of these tires. Current stock Michelins will be just over five years old next month and which I believe is the source of the road noise I've been experiencing for the last seven months. There is still a decent amount of tread remaining on all four but there is a good amount of hairline cracks in between the treads and some areas where the tread meets the sidewall. Given the reviews both here and on TireRack, it'll be great to get the reduction in road noise and good handling in the snow.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:57 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb P7s Plus

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I also just ordered Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus at Discount Tire, who matched the Walmart sale price of $163/tire. Holiday rebate at Discount Tire is $100 for these (prepaid debit card). So the final price will be around $730 with installation.

Last edited by GiovanniRL; 11-25-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work at Discount Tire and run the factory P245/50R17 sizing with the Pirelli P7 tires on my '05 RL. I absolutely love them! Had the factory Michelin's that hydroplaned like crazy. It was a night and day difference!