nail in my 07 PAX tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nail in my 07 PAX tire

Yesterday I got a nail in my PAX tire. I noticed because my TPMS was saying 23 psi and all the rest were 35. I looked around the tire and found the nail. From the gas station where I was filling the tire, I went to America's Tire and they said they don't work on PAX tires. I called the dealer and they told me to bring the car in. The dealer replaced the complete TIRE and RIM. They said they come from Michelin as 1 unit and they simply replace the whole thing. Luckily my car is NEW, 3 weeks old, so there were no scratches in the rim. He said if there are scratches in the rim, then they charge you.. Apparently as long as your tire is under a certain thread wear, you are under a damage warranty, only on PAX tires.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's bull. They can't charge you if the rim is scratched. That's their problem. They chose to replace the whole set because they didn't have the equipment to dismount the tire. You need a special (or modified) tire changer to handle the pax tire assemblies. They just took the easy way out.

If that happens again take it somewhere else. You don't need to take it to YOUR dealer to take advantage of the road hazard "assurance" program. Surely someone in your area has the equipment. In my area there's a Tire Kingdom and two Honda dealers that have the changer. None of my 3 local Acura dealers can do it either.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Next time, call the number in your Michelin Warranty Book, 1-877-PAX TIRE or 1-877-729-8473.

The tire is warranted by Michelin, not the dealer. You are in that kind of gray area with a new car because the wheel is an Acura part, where as the tire and the insert are Michelin parts.

Most Acura dealers do not have the mount/dismount machines, so the easiest thing for them is to replace the entire wheel tire combo. Likely Michelin would have sent you to an authorized independent Michelin dealer with the special machinery. From the warranty:

If a Michelin PAX System tire becomes unserviceable due to a
workmanship or materials condition or a road hazard injury during the first
24 months of service or before 50% of the tread is worn, whichever occurs
first, Michelin will furnish a comparable new Michelin PAX System
replacement tire at NO CHARGE. No charge will be made for demounting,
mounting and balancing, but the consumer will be responsible for paying
any other service charges and applicable taxes.

If a Michelin PAX System tire becomes unserviceable due to a
workmanship or materials condition or a road hazard injury after the free
replacement period, Michelin will furnish a comparable Michelin PAX
System replacement tire on a pro rata basis. An Authorized Pax System
Dealer shall determine the charge by multiplying the percentage of the
original usable tread worn, by the current selling price at the adjustment
location or the price in the current Michelin Base Price List, whichever is
lower. This list is based on a predetermined price intended to fairly
represent the actual selling price of the tire. After the free replacement
period, you pay the cost of demounting, mounting and balancing and any
other dealer charges and applicable taxes.

If the Michelin PAX System support ring becomes unserviceable due to a
workmanship or materials condition or a road hazard injury during the six
year warranty period, the insert will be replaced at no charge.

Not said in the warranty booklet is this little item in the FAQ

Q: What happens if a driver with a flat can't get to a car or Michelin authorized servicing dealer?
A: When a consumer calls the toll-free number, 1-877-PAX-TIRE, Michelin will advise the consumer on how to service their PAX System tire. If a car dealer or a Michelin- authorized servicing dealer is not within the recommended driving range for a deflated tire, Michelin will direct the consumer to drive to a safe location and then initiate a rapid-response delivery plan, rushing a complete PAX System wheel/tire assembly to that location within 12 hours of notification of the service request. In the unlikely event that a wheel/tire assembly cannot be delivered the same day, Michelin will reimburse the vehicle driver for the cost of overnight accommodation.

I have yet to hear anyone test that rapid response system
Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok sure

but the Acura dealer was fine. They replaced the tire and rim for FREE so it was much more convenient than doing anyting else...

I was a little shocked that the process is different than a normal tire that's all..