Jack Mosca's RL:PAX, Wheels, Tires, Lugs, Hub Rings and More! Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSW Interlagos wheels - 18

BDOGGPrelude - few more questions please: Will purchase on your recommendation the TSW Interlagos wheels - 18s - however the fitment guide on the web site will only show me the 19s? Will this cause a problem with the American Tire rep if his knowledge isn't quite up to your standards? I am too old for hassles - also load rating is 1650 on the Interlagos yet 1980 on the Brooklands - just asking and lastly Seat type A - as opposed to taper - will all this work with my 07 RL? Thanks Jack
Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Jack, BDogg is spot on in his suggestions for your 07 RL. I would however like to throw another at you. I have an 06 RL and had been looking for many years for a nice set of wheels.

TSW does make some awesome wheels and their build quality is very good. I have owned a couple sets myself and aside from a slightly low but tolerable offset for our cars, TSW uses some really nice and beefy aluminum hub centering rings as opposed to the el-cheapo plastic type.

I have found that proper hub center bore fitment to be a very important and often overlooked factor when choosing wheels. Something to consider even at 65mph on the freeway, especially with an AWD car. Just ask the guys at Discount (America's) Tire Company.

That said, I found a company called Velocity Motoring who make VMR wheels. They have been making BMW wheels (RL uses the same bolt pattern) and they just released a rotary forged rim rolled wheel series like TSW and Enkei (who also makes Honda OEM wheels) offer. However, they did a custom hub center bore for me too (64.1mm is the exact measurement, in case you are interested).

A complete set of 4 18x8.5" wheels shipped will run you about $12-1300. Something to consider. Home Page - VMR Wheels
Something to consider before you pull the trigger
Old 09-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Mosca
BDOGGPrelude - few more questions please: Will purchase on your recommendation the TSW Interlagos wheels - 18s - however the fitment guide on the web site will only show me the 19s? Will this cause a problem with the American Tire rep if his knowledge isn't quite up to your standards? I am too old for hassles - also load rating is 1650 on the Interlagos yet 1980 on the Brooklands - just asking and lastly Seat type A - as opposed to taper - will all this work with my 07 RL? Thanks Jack
Jack, don't worry about the load rating. Pretty sure the OEM 18" tire option is a 98 load index which is 1,653lbs at maximum psi. They will hold the weight of the vehicle just fine. I have no idea what seat type A means. Every TSW wheel I've ever seen utilizes a conical/tapered seat design, including the Interlagos. The 18x8 +35 Interlagos shows up on Discount Tire Direct's fitment guide so I'm pretty sure they will fit:

Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct

Also, your local America's Tire has no problems with ordering a wheel and sending it back at no charge to you if it does not fit. They will keep ordering in wheels and sending them back until they find something that fits your car properly and appeals to you. No need to be concerned with being stuck with something that doesn't fit properly.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Tsw vmr wheels -

BDoggPrelude - Max Effort - this is a $2500.00 hit for new wheels and tires -enjoying the learning process and hearing from you. TSW - Interlagos +35 offset - diameter/ width and bolt pattern correct - however TSW requires the sleeve for the hub. The VMR wheel eliminates the hub sleeve and increases the offset to +45 BUT only available in 8.5 width. Gentleman at VMR mentions the 8.5 width sits flush with fenders but experience no no rubbing fitting issues with stock suspension - which mine is. Thoughts please. Max Effort the VMR rep sent me your cars photo. However I like the V702.

BDogg - TSW - Discount tire - installation kit for Interlagos $45.00 what is it? I also need new TPMS sensors, $. What wheel are you showing on the photo by your name.....lastly - will my Acura caps fit in place of TSW logo - Jack
Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Drifting

The difference in outer clearance between an 8.5" wide +45 offset wheel and an 8" wide +35 is only 3mm. With a 245/45R18 tire, neither wheel will cause fitment issues. The $45 is for the lug nuts you will need for the new wheels. Any aftermarket wheel will require different lug nuts than the OEM Acura lugs. Your current TPMS sensors can be swapped to the new wheels easily. Most aftermarket wheels will not allow for OEM center caps. The wheels in my avatar picture are the TSW Jerez. They are a two piece wheel with a forged barrel.

Have you talked to a local rep at DTC/ATC yet?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Instructor

BDoggPrelude - TPMS OUT OF A PAX SYSTEM?

The America tire in my town is not equipted to service pax tires - I'll put the wheel and tires in the garage......will visit American tire next week - That Jerez wheel on your avatar is beautiful.....advantage of 2 piece? Thanks for the information. Jack
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Drifting

The America tire in my town is not equipted to service pax tires - I'll put the wheel and tires in the garage......will visit American tire next week - That Jerez wheel on your avatar is beautiful.....advantage of 2 piece? Thanks for the information. Jack
They don't need a PAX machine to remove the sensors. I just did the process for another member on this board and I don't have a PAX machine at my store either. It just takes cutting holes in the sidewalls of the tires to remove the sensors.

Attachment 105014

I really like the Jerez. I originally bought TSW Londrina's and the following summer TSW released the Jerez. I had to have them and, much to my wife's dismay, I ordered a set as soon as they had them in stock. I ended up selling the Londrina's for what I paid for them so it wasn't a loss but it took me a year and a half before I got the money I wanted for them.

The advantage to the 2-piece construction is the lighter weight forged, (not rotary forged/flow formed), barrel. The downside is driving them in the rain. Like many multi-piece wheels, they collect water between the face and drop center in the barrel. At highway speeds water trapped inside the barrel of the wheel causes a MASSIVE vibration throughout the whole car. If you want peace of mind and ease of use, I suggest sticking with a one-piece wheel.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Instructor

BDopggPrelude - you're the best

A true Discount - America tire - rep. I have written many letters to the management of Discount Tire on constantly exceeding my expectations. I have written two e mails in the past 2 years on the Mgr of our store in S Cal. Great chat and I learned what an avatar is. Just for the hell of it - would TSW make me at my expense a blank cap - if they emboss or paint the logo it has to be part of the process they could eliminate 4 times. Thank you Jack
The following users liked this post:
BDoggPrelude (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Drifting

A true Discount - America tire - rep. I have written many letters to the management of Discount Tire on constantly exceeding my expectations. I have written two e mails in the past 2 years on the Mgr of our store in S Cal. Great chat and I learned what an avatar is. Just for the hell of it - would TSW make me at my expense a blank cap - if they emboss or paint the logo it has to be part of the process they could eliminate 4 times. Thank you Jack
Thank you for the kind words, Jack.

The TSW center caps come in the box disassembled. You could just leave out the TSW logo insert and find a company to make you your own custom inserts for the caps. All you need are the exact measurements of the insert and have a company like this make whatever inserts you want:

Online shop 3D wheel center caps

Personally, I think the TSW inserts are very nice. They are aluminum with an etched logo. Far nice than anything a company like the one above could ever make for you. I do understand the allure of having it look more stock though.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Instructor

BDogg - Now that I know what an avatar is!

You are all over this site - today I looked up the armrest pleatherette situation - there you are on how to repair with photos - cutting out the pax tire tpms - priceless.....what about the driver side arm rest same situation occurring pleatherette - will visit America tire next week to discuss - tsw interlagos. You're the best - I'll be back with more Jack
Old 09-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Drifting

The armrest on the door should be able to be recovered the same way although it will be more difficult to take apart and put back together. I would imagine the entire interior door panel will need to be removed.

BTW, I decided to give TSW a call today for you to verify fitment of the 18x8 Interlagos on your car. They said it will fit just fine.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Drifting

BTW, Jack, if you let me know what store you usually go to and when you can go in to talk with them, I can do some of the legwork for you and call down there, let them know what you're looking for and put you in contact with somebody that will get you taken care of. Just let me know.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I am looking for some mag nuts for my rims. i clicked on the links you have BDogg and it is no longer available.

will these fit?

20 Toyota Lexus 14x1 5 1 5 OE Stock Factory Wheels Rims Mag Lug Nuts 22 Hex | eBay

is it the same thing?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Drifting

Those Toyota ones are too long. You want these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Factory-OEM-Honda-Acura-Style-Wheel-Lug-Nuts-M14x1-5-Mag-Seat-22mm-Hex-/400766944209?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4f9243d1&vxp=mtr
Just email that seller and ask if they sell them in 20-lug sets. It's the same seller that listed the kit I posted earlier.
dtreysoz (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Those Toyota ones are too long. You want these:

Chrome Factory OEM Honda Acura Style Wheel Lug Nuts M14X1 5 Mag Seat 22mm Hex" | eBay

Just email that seller and ask if they sell them in 20-lug sets. It's the same seller that listed the kit I posted earlier.
Thanks for the info., I was afraid that would be too long.

I emailed the other day and have not heard back from the vendor. i hope they reply.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Instructor

BDoggPreleude - Jerez TSW Wheels

BDogg - too bad about your car in the parking lot, hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction. I haven't had the time to order the TSW wheels - however those Jerez wheels on you car look great. Were you being serious with your comment about the noise when driving in the rain, due to their two piece construction? Two more: the RL has double wishbone front suspension - what's the rear suspension? Also are the headlights xenon? Thanks Jack
Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Thanks, Jack. The RL's rear suspension is a multi-link setup. My wheels are not noisy in rain. The problem is they collect water in the barrel that creates an inbalance and causes vibrations.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Drifting

And the headlights are xenon/HID.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey Jack, when you get your Interlagos installed, can you post up some pics please ? Been thinking about them for my convertible for quite some time now probably in 18x8 size too (though bolt pattern will be different than yours) - mebbe next spring for me ...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Bdogg, how did you get so damn cool.
BDoggPrelude (10-03-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Hub Rings

B Dogg finally got around to ordering TSW Brooklands 18s. The Interlogos load range is not sufficient with the 18s and did not want to go to 19s which had sufficient load range. That being said - my invoice from America's tire shows plastic hub rings? Does TSW make or supply hub rings with purchase? Does plastic work?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Drifting

B Dogg finally got around to ordering TSW Brooklands 18s. The Interlogos load range is not sufficient with the 18s and did not want to go to 19s which had sufficient load range. That being said - my invoice from America's tire shows plastic hub rings? Does TSW make or supply hub rings with purchase? Does plastic work?
TSW will supply the hub rings and only TSW hub rings will work. TSW wheels do not have a beveled edge on the center bore like most other wheels. The flange built into any other hub ring will not match up to the non-beveled center bore of the TSW wheels and will obstruct the wheel from sitting flush with the hub.
oo7spy (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Instructor

B Dogg - hub rings supplied by tsw

Will the hub rings supplied by tsw be plastic? Is there an additional charge for the rings?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Drifting

TSW supplies them at no charge and they are plastic.
Jack Mosca (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Btw, contrary to popular belief, there's nothing wrong with plastic/nylon hub centric rings. A nylon hub ring that exactly fits the vehicle hub and wheel bore does exactly the job it's supposed to. I've used nylon hub rings in every set of aftermarket wheels I've ever owned and have never had an issue with them.
HEAVY_RL (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I second that.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Instructor

New TSW Brooklands/out with PAX

Interesting lessons learned using this forum. B Dogg you were a great help. The TSW 18s Brooklands look great on my car - I don't know how to send photos so that will not happen. I just looked back at the message from Max Effort PITCHING VMR wheels - "TSW uses some really nice and beefy aluminium hub centering rings as opposed to the el cheapo plastic type" in his next paragraph he mentions how important hub size is - "just ask the guys at Discount (America's) tire co" - Assuming you read his post - but never commented to me on the plastic rings until yesterday when I asked? The wheels look great and purchased from America's tire. The Interlagos I wanted in 18s had too low a load factor - the 19s or 20s would have been sufficient. The TSW web site would not accept the 18 interlago for my RL.

And I have no AVATAR!!!! Jack
Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
You can attach photos to a post and even directly upload them from your hard drive now. Click the yellow square icon.

Oh and,
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Totally missed his post about the TSW's having metal hub rings. I would have corrected him had I seen it. Like I said in my reply to your thread about the hub rings though, it is a non-issue, as is having wheels that are bored to a specific vehicle. There is no difference between metal and nylon hub rings. They both do the job exactly the same.

I'm glad you're happy with the finished product on your vehicle, Jack. I looked up the layaway in the system the other day and it looks like you went with Michelin Premier A/S tires. Good choice. You will get a lot of good use out of the high quality wheels and tires you purchased. I hope the guys at Discount treated you well and you were happy with your experience.

Posting pictures is pretty easy. Create an account on photobucket.com and upload them there. All you have to do then is copy the "IMG" link at the bottom of the picture and paste it into your post. I'm sure you can figure it out. We would all love to see your new setup.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Acurazine hosts images now. No more having to get a URL.

Jack, do you realize that you now have 6 threads about wheels for your car? Do you think its reasonable to have 6 threads about wheels for your car? If someone is searching for something similar to your experience, they now have 5 duplicate threads to search through. And people wonder why they can't find anything with a search.
HEAVY_RL (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

I counted 14... and 4 on his steering wheel vibration.