Help wanted about PAX SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help wanted about PAX SYSTEM

My wife is driving a 2006 rl tech model with pax system. It is time for tires. We are leaving the city and moving to a more rural area,so I want to replace the PAX system. Even while in the city it has been a pain. There is so much out there its hard for me to follow. If I am understanding correctly we need new rims 18" so wont rub, new tires, lug nuts,new air monitors on each wheel for the system to read air pressure, spare tire, jack. Am i missing anything beside the bank I need to rob to pay for this. Is there any where that you can go to get it all done in one spot. Like american tire etc.Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Here we go again....

Any standard non-PAX 17, 18, 19, 20 inch wheel with the proper specs AND front caliper clearance will work. There is a lot about fitting aftermarket wheels and tires on the forum, including which ones fit, and which do not.

Tires, again any standard tire will work in the following sizes:

17 inch wheel=245/50-17
18 inch wheel=245/45-18
19 inch wheel=245/40-19
20 inch wheel=245/35-20

Other tires will fit, but speedo and gearing will be off, and depending on the size, now you will also likely be affecting things like VSA and ABS safety systems.

18 inch wheels and tires are recommended generally because there is more choice in 18 inch rubber than in any other diameter, so give yourself a chance when you have to buy tires again.

Here is some stuff I posted previously, first a quote from Honda:

"American Honda Motors (which includes the Acura brand) specifically recommends against replacement of the Michelin PAX™ System tires and to do anything that can compromise the safety of the vehicle and its occupants.

"American Honda strongly recommends that you replace the original PAX tires only with new PAX tires of the same size and speed rating. Using any non-PAX tire/wheel assemblies on a vehicle originally designed for PAX tires poses significant safety concerns and is not recommended or approved by American Honda.

"On vehicles designed to use the PAX System, if the air pressure in a tire drops significantly, a message appears on the multi-information display that tells the driver it is OK to keep driving. This message is given because a PAX tire can be driven on even when it is significantly under inflated or flat. However, this message will appear even if the vehicle is subsequently outfitted with conventional wheels and tires. Driving on under inflated conventional tires can result in a sudden catastrophic tire failure and corresponding loss of control. Additionally, the ride and handling characteristics of the vehicle may be adversely affected since its design was optimized for PAX System tire and wheel assemblies.

"Any person or business that installs a conventional tire/wheel assembly on a vehicle equipped with the PAX System does so at their own risk and is solely responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the modification."

That being said, anecdotal accounts of 2G RL owners who have replaced their Michelin PAX™ System tires can be found on the internet, including this forum*. The PAX™ tires installed on the 2G RL are equivalent to 245/45-18 V- rated tires on 18-inch alloy wheels, and so any of the fitment guidance offered for Acura branded, or aftermarket conventional wheels and the appropriate sized tires would work. Some users have reported dramatically different (better) handling results with lighter wheels (anything is lighter than a PAX wheel) and high performance rubber which is just not available in a PAX tire.

However, because Acura has not offered a path to change the 2G RL computer software in models originally equipped with PAX™ tires, there is a real safety hazard if the driver is unaware that the car is no longer equipped with PAX™ tires. If air pressure in a tire drops significantly on a vehicle designed to use a PAX™ system, a message appears on the multi-information display telling the driver it is OK to keep driving on the PAX™ wheel. This is because a PAX™ tire can be driven on even when it is significantly under inflated or flat. This message will appear even if the vehicle is subsequently outfitted with conventional wheels and tires. Therefore if this message appears after De-PAXing you should treat and address the issue as you would a conventional wheel and tire setup. You will no longer be able to drive safely on severely under inflated or flat conventional tires.

De-PAXing could become a potential liability issue when it comes time to sell the car, and it is possible, though not likley, that you will not be able to sell the car because an original manufacturer designed safety system has been permanently disabled.

If you do De-PAX, and you have the room in the garage, it may be a good idea to keep the original PAX™ system so you can later sell the car with the “as originally equipped” safety system intact.

If you do De-PAX the car, it is also advisable to add a spare tire. The trunk will fit a compact spare, but does not fit a full sized spare. You will need the following items in order to do so, which may cost in excess of $500 from Acura internet parts houses, NOT including the cost of the temporary spare tire, which can be difficult to source, and is very expensive.

Your most economical route is to go through a salvage yard, at least for the spare tire and wheel. At the time of writing, spare tire and wheels were running less than $200, and the rest of the parts below could be had for around $100 through an internet Acura dealer. Many times individual parts below are available on eBay or again through internet salvage yards.

• Trunk Spacer Assembly (Part Number: 84542-SJA-A00) this is the Styrofoam insert that holds the tools, and replaces the original PAX™ system equipped cars Styrofoam insert that does not allow for spare tire placement.
• Adapter - Spare Tire (74651-S2X-003)
• Bolt - Spare Tire (74652-SDA-003
• Label - Spare Tire Adapter - Not really needed but cheap (74653-SJA-003)
• Disk Aluminum Wheel (this is the spare) - 17x4T (42700-SJA-J51)
• Spare Tire T155/70D17 (hard to find, some dealers claim not sell it, many tire retailers say go to the dealer, and it can be hard to find at the Tire Rack)
• Valve stem for spare (installed by the tire shop)

Good luck.

* PS, I am one of the anecdotal stories of a person that has changed out PAX tires for standard tires.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Instructor

New way to get rid of PAX tires

well I bit the bullet and bought a new set of PAX tires. Wish now I hadn't. My daughter has the car and got a flat $500 to fix. So this is the new setup hope this helps someone cause Michelin sucks. You get new rims and Bridgestone makes run flats food for 50 miles so still don't need a spare Driveguards. Seem to be about $162 a tire and rims and your finally done with Michelin and Acuras crap
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
which part was "new"?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Bridgestone run flats and don't need spare in trunk
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by backfire
You get new rims and Bridgestone makes run flats food for 50 miles so still don't need a spare Driveguards.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (02-26-2015)