De-PAXed what about wheel alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-PAXed what about wheel alignment?

After purchasing a used 2006 RL with Tech pkg, the left front tire was worn excessively and the tire failed on the way home from church a few weeks later. Following the shock of laying out abt $700 to get the new tire purchased/mounted I decided to de-PAX and go conventional. So what should I expect to run into for problems regarding wheel alignment? I know I need to get a wheel alignment done on the car, but I'm expecting to hear some grief about the car being an RL Tech, but I'm not using PAX tires. I'm putting stock 2006 Acura basic wheels on with Pirelli tires. Can the shop just use the RL Basic alignment numbers? I'm not even going to try and go to the dealership, but I'm curious what a typical tire shop will do.

When I replaced the pax tire that failed, the stealership wouldn't even try to do an alignment for me unless I put a new tire on the other front wheel at the same time. That right front tire only had 6000 miles on it, plenty of tread. I'm sure they won't help me out as soon as they see that I am de-PAXing and killing their money stream.

With all the folks that have de-PAXed, I know someone has experience with getting wheel alignments done. Again, can the shop just use the RL Basic alignment numbers or do they still use the PAX alignment numbers even though they are conventional wheels/tires?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
In my years on this board, I've never read of any PAX specific alignment specs...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Likely the toe on that one side was severely out of spec (hit a curb maybe?) that caused it to wear so excessively.

Go to an independent alignment shop.