2006 RL de-PAXed and need to sell set w/8k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 RL de-PAXed and need to sell set w/8k miles

I recently de-PAXed my 2006 RL and now I want to sell the PAX wheels/tires/TPMS senors. They only have 8K miles on them so there is still lots of tread. The wheels are in perfect condition as near as I can tell and the sensors work fine. Any ideas on what a set of these puppies are worth these days? I talked to a dealer and he quoted about $1200 per wheel/tire combo. That's $4800 a set of 4 (yikes!) Since they are used I'm thinking in the $1200 ballpark. Anyone have any experience selling these things?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
That sounds about right for no other reason than new tires cost $2200 to replace, assuming you have the wheels. But your warranty is expired whereas new tires may have something on them. The wheels, however beautifully built they are, are almost useless/have a very small and specialized market. Don't forget to price out shipping separately. These puppies are heavy, at 75 lbs each.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Half the cost of new would make sense if PAX wheel assemblies were something there WAS a market for. As the situation actually stands now those who know the PAX strory and currently have PAX wheels would like a way out, just as you have. There really is NO MARKET for PAX wheels execpt for perhaps some few individuals who think run-flats are a real safety feature, and are willing to pay the high costs and tremendous inconveniences that go with these wheels. My own guess is that a give away price of $600 is probably the best you can hope for.

I have a full set of PAX wheels sitting in my garage right now. I'll probably run them until they're worn out -- alternating them with the standard wheels I bought on E-Bay. They're worth more for their remaining life (to me anyway) that to dispose of them at the give-away price I'm guessing they'd bring. And, I think that might be being very optimistic since if anyone else knows what I know about them, they wouldn't take them for FREE.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Just as an FYI, I bought a set of four mounted (very near perfect rims...one had a very small, 1" or so rub on an edge) PAX tires with TPM sensors and center caps off eBay for $700 shipped from CA to PA. About 90% of the tread remaining. Personally, I think this was way too low as the shipping probably cost $200 but who was I to argue? But, I haven't seen any for sale since (not that I've really looked all that hard as I have my backupp set) and as PAX equipped cars start to age, the price for a good set should go up considering the cost of replacement.

LL
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, $700 sounds really cheap, especially if it included shipping. It also sounds like there may not be too much of a market out there anymore since many have de-PAXed like I have. I guess I will just have to post them for something like $1200 or best offer. Hopefully there are still some people out there that want a spare set.

I appreciate everyones comments on this item.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think $700 was incrediby cheap and I don't think that many have de-PAXed considering the cost of wheels, tires, sensors, lug nuts, a spare, a spare holder, and a few other tidbits. I'd put them on eBay for more than $1200 (or best offer) and see what happens. I'd be careful with shipping though. I'd also throw them out on Craigslist (noting subject to prior sale locally on the eBay listing). It's free and who knows...

LL
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
if you already de-PAXed why don't u keep it around as spare? are the PAX package that different from the rest?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

I am hoping to mitigate the cost of the new wheels and tires by selling the PAX set. Since they are so expensive to replace my hope is that there is some resale market out there. If I can get $1000 for the old set it nearly pays for the new wheels or tires. Besides, I don't really care for the look of the PAX wheels and they are significantly heavier. The new wheels (A-spec) and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires look much better and handle way better. Even the ride is better. If I can't sell the PAX set perhaps I will keep them as a spare set but I'm not sure when I would use them.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Just wanted to let you guys (and gals) know that I was able to sell my old PAX wheels/tires/sensors for about $1500 on e-Bay. Thanks for your help in determining what price to ask for these. Now I just need to find a spare tire!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Try a junk yard on line.

Call your dealer and see what kind of deal they will cut you, mine allegedly will do it for free.

Alternatively, according to sfmslaw.com, a website will be established to sell you a spare at some reduced cost, allegedly estore.honda.com, as of July 23, but there is nothing there yet.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

I've been searching the junkyards with no luck but I'll keep trying. I'll also check with the dealer and see what they say but I have my doubts on that front. My dealer service reps seem a little clueless but ti can't hurt to ask. I hadn't heard about the Honda e-Store offering a discount. Usually they are pretty high-priced but that tidbit is very interesting. Thanks again for the info Chas2. You should get a medal for all the help and advice you offer.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

I talked to the dealer I work with the other day on this subject. She said that they would be selling the kits (didn't yet know the price) soon but not giving them away. She mentioned the lawsuit and that those covered by the lawsuit would get a rebate ($110 if I remember correctly.) I should have a price on the kit soon but I'm sure it will be much higher than a junkyard.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
4th Gear

What is the PAX story?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Cruisin'

There are numerous threads regarding PAX runflat tires and wheels and the current class action lawsuit. Do a search to find out more.