AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/)
-   -   '09 RL...No More PAX (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/09-rl-no-more-pax-684845/)

PortlandRL 08-30-2008 05:54 AM

'09 RL...No More PAX

Please forgive me if this is a :repost:. I did a search and found nothing.

I was just on the Acura website and could not find anything to indicate that they had chosen to continue the PAX option. In the BYO section, the top-of-the-line is now the Technology+CMBS/ACC instead of Tech+CMBS/PAX.

Wonder why they chose to stray...:dunno:

PortlandRL 08-30-2008 06:05 AM

Never mind...

Moments after I posted this I stumbled upon the thread that mentioned the class action lawsuit against Honda/Michelin. Some BS...

DoctorTuna 08-31-2008 08:27 AM

Yeah, Pax is dead, although Michelin continues to 'support' Pax equipped vehicles. I recently traded in my RL without Pax, but my Honda Odyssey has the PAX system. Treadlife is not great but I will say that my wife has had 2 road hazards since we've owned the van, both times she was 60 miles out of town, on a Sunday, and both times she was able to drive home safe and sound, without having to change a tire. She thinks the tires are the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately, I will have to put a new set on next year after about 40K miles for the low, low price of $1000 installed. I guess that's what you pay for piece of mind. I wouldn't have them on an RL though!!

Chas2 08-31-2008 09:25 AM

The RL tire replacement cost is the low, low price of $2100. The tires are not in stock because they are very rare in comparison to the Odyssey and Quest tires, and very expensive for the authorized Michelin dealer to keep in stock. RL tires are also the relatively rare V rated grand touring type in comparison to the passenger car Energy tires on the minivans. But the Michelin dealer can get them within two days, sometimes one day, depending on the time of day. For 2100 I can get a decent set of 18" cast wheels, like Enkei SC05, and some pretty nice rubber, and that includes TPMS.

DoctorTuna 08-31-2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2 (Post 9947152)
The RL tire replacement cost is the low, low price of $2100. The tires are not in stock because they are very rare in comparison to the Odyssey and Quest tires, and very expensive for the authorized Michelin dealer to keep in stock. RL tires are also the relatively rare V rated grand touring type in comparison to the passenger car Energy tires on the minivans. But the Michelin dealer can get them within two days, sometimes one day, depending on the time of day. For 2100 I can get a decent set of 18" cast wheels, like Enkei SC05, and some pretty nice rubber, and that includes TPMS.

YIKES!!!!:ugh:

DoctorTuna 08-31-2008 09:44 AM

Interestingly, the price for full replacement on the Odyssey has come down some, they used to be $330 per tire, now down to $250, installation included. That RL price is completely absurd!!

lland 09-02-2008 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chas2 (Post 9947152)

Unfortunately, you also need to add about $700 for a spare and related incidentals.

LL

Chas2 09-02-2008 10:13 AM

Yea, tell me about it. I just did it, about $680 total, all new parts. The largest cost, including mounting of the tire, was the spare wheel and tire itself, at $570 for all new parts. You could do better at a junkyard, cutting the tire cost in half, according others on the board.