06 Tech Package questions/PAX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Tech Package questions/PAX

I'm thinking about purchasing an 06 Tech Package but wanted to get the every day drivers opinion on the PAX system. I have read pros and cons to the system, cons primarily being cost of tire replacement and dealer locations for service. This particular RL is the color I want but I'm still not sure about the PAX system. I've been told that replacing the entire PAX system I would need to get 4 new rims and tires, is that true? Can't I just replace the tires with non PAX system tires?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Three downsides of the PAX system:

1. Lack of choices in tires. You're stuck with the PAX.
2. Cost (approx. $2,000 to replace just the tires)
3. Limited support - Specialized equipment and training needed to work on them. It is possible to get stuck somewhere if you have a problem and are not near a PAX servicing dealer or tire center (rare). Michelin is no longer developing them but say they will "support" them.

No, you can't just replace the tires. The wheels are PAX specific (in addition to being 18.1" diameter) and regular tires won't fit. You also need to get a spare and related equipment (lug nuts, trunk insert, etc.) for about $500 at a discount.

Great idea, lousy execution but I have them and so far have had no issues. They are also on the Bugatti Veyron and Rolls Royce Phantom so you'd be in good company.

LL
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Instructor

As far as their function as automobile tires, PAX system tires are as trasparent in use as any other tire -- there's absolutely NO difference in your awareness of what kind of tire is on the car. lland's post above sums up the cons of the PAX system.

Replacing the PAX system does require new rims as well as new tires, but complete take-off sets (from brand new RLs) can be found on E-Bay for as little as $700. and the spare and related parts can be purchased for much less than $500 from a salvage yard. Take-offs from a 2009 RL even offer the opportunity to upgrade to 18" rims for much less than the cost of Aspec or custom wheels.

In my judgement, the value of the CMBS system and adaptive cruise control that are part of the Tech Package on the '06 make the nagatives of the PAX tires much less. I looked at the same situation (bought a used '06 with Tech Package) and decided the cost of replacing the PAX tires with a take-off set was worth it for the other options.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have recently had a weather related driving incident with my PAX system.

The wheel was ruined and Acura charges $640.00 for JUST the wheel. My Acura dealer (one of the largest in Illinois) was not even certified to sell the tire anymore! The tire (through another dealer) was $380, plus a gel-pack at $24.95, a special mounting ring of $84.95 (if needed), wheel weights and balancing at $20.00. Discount tire was 'certified' to sell the tire, but they could not get it either.

I was wondering if I was on candid camera...... I didn't find any used PAX wheels, but certainly didn't want to put a $400+ tire replacement just to deal with it again anyways.

These prices were all 'retail rates', of course, but even if I could have gotten them down a couple hundred dollars, it was still close to $1000.00 for just the one wheel/tire.

Furthermore, why spend $1000.00 for just one combo when my other 3 wheels would be coming up for tire replacements soon.

I choose the other more economical option -- remove the PAX system. I couldn't find any justification to embrace a technology that both Acura and Michelin are not supporting.

That being said, I love the car and the CMBS/ACC option. My opinion is that for me, it was worth it to deal with removing the PAX. I also would have had a hard time buying a vehicle that did not include the highest level of options available, no matter how elusive CMBS/ACC can be.

I'll post pictures when I have the car back -- I got A-Spec wheels/Pilot Sport A/S tires.

Last edited by true; 12-11-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
6th Gear

Thanks to everyone who replied, this is just the information I was looking for. This will help me make my decision on the purchase. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, I love the ACC/CMBS, and I am dealing with the PAX by not replacing them when they wear out. I have beautiful 19's, though you might be better off with 18's because there is a much wider choice of tires. I run the 19's in the warm months, run the PAX in the winter until they wear out, and then off to a recycler. What a shameful waste of aluminum alloy!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by carbone
I'm thinking about purchasing an 06 Tech Package but wanted to get the every day drivers opinion on the PAX system. I have read pros and cons to the system, cons primarily being cost of tire replacement and dealer locations for service. This particular RL is the color I want but I'm still not sure about the PAX system. I've been told that replacing the entire PAX system I would need to get 4 new rims and tires, is that true? Can't I just replace the tires with non PAX system tires?
The answer is, forget about PAX, the system was fine but it is discontinued. Yes the PAX system can be replaced by regular tires with excellent results. I as well as a few other members have undergone the change, and as far as I know we are all delighted with the result. Take a gander on the "wheels" forum. All our expiriences are there.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Banned

Once you remove the PAX system, you'll notice a difference in handling and gas mileage, as those PAX tires weigh about 75 pounds a piece...