T.K's ASPEC KB1

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking T.K's ASPEC KB1

What up AZ, I sold my 07 TL-S about a month ago then decided to pick up this RL last weekend.

I honestly had never really looked into RL's before, but after stumbling upon this image (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fb/82...ca2c121f6e.jpg), I started doing homework and searching.

As luck would have it, 2 weeks into my search a black 06 ASPEC went up for sale in Dallas. I thought about it for 2 days, then went and picked it up.

These are the pics from the for sale ad:
T.K's ASPEC KB1-hzqrkkh.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-iw76bow.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-c9kelxa.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-ba22nwy.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-mv8zyoa.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-dqytiwu.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-p0sksks.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-24sqwcv.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-kad1fc8.jpg

I only snapped one the night I got it home
T.K's ASPEC KB1-s4jhbz3.jpg

The car is in great condition overall! The biggest issue on the exterior is the peeling/chipping chrome on the trim and wheels. On the interior there are a couple small tears in the leather.

Every feature works, and there aren't any warning or check engine lights. I did notice that the valve cover gasket is leaking and there is a very slight miss when idling, so a full tune up is coming very soon.

In the week I've owned it, I've replaced the floor mats as it didn't come with any (thanks eBay). I also replaced both trunk struts and installed LED lights throughout the interior. I also sanded/buffed the headlights and gave it a quick wash but it looks like i'm gonna have to cut/buff the car to get the shine back.

I've ordered LED fog and DRL bulbs, the USA SPEC BT45-ACU and the OEM backup camera. Everything should be in by Saturday evening so I can install everything on Sunday.

I've also contacted KPTechnologies as I've read that Kevin still makes modules per order and i'm hoping I can get a window roll up and mirror tilt module from him.

My tint guy should be coming to tint the car while i'm at work today, I'll definitely take some more pics once that's done.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I remember seeing this but it was so far away for me to get it. Looks awesome!
Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Very nice! What's the plan for it other than what's mentioned? Glad you did your research!

Let me know if you get the KP technologies module to work. I myself tried and could never wire it to work.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by pewpew
I remember seeing this but it was so far away for me to get it. Looks awesome!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Very nice! What's the plan for it other than what's mentioned? Glad you did your research!

Let me know if you get the KP technologies module to work. I myself tried and could never wire it to work.
I haven't done a full assessment of what maintenance it needs yet, but that'll be first along with a full fluid flush so I have a baseline. I also need to go to the dealership and confirm the car has had all the recalls processed on it.

For the exterior I want to bring back the paint as much as I can(read up on Opti-Coat after reading your thread, but that's an investment), fix the peeling chrome (not sure which route i'm going to take on that yet), get a rear visor, a set of OEM window visors and the MMC folding mirrors. Long term I'd love to get some Legend headlights and do the retrofit on the high beams, but that's for later later.

For the interior I need to replace a couple bulbs, and I want to install the MMC climate control so it's easier to adjust fan speed and mode. I also need to replace a couple speakers as they're beginning to crackle. From what I've read it seems the general consensus is to replace with factory RL BOSE speakers, but i'm open for other options or opinions. Upon closer inspection it looks like the previous owners had a couple panels on the seats replaced with new leather, so I think i'm going to get all the worn seat panels replaced with new leather. I also have the glitchy/turns off issue with the HUD on the upper dash, so i'll have to pull that out and check for bad solders. I would also like to swap the MMC dark wood dash/door trim in eventually.

Performance wise I plan on upgrading the brakes first, as the factory brakes are a little soft for my liking. I plan on going with the StopTech drilled and slotted rotors, along with the FastLine steel braided brake lines, still haven't decided on pads. I also intend to get the ATLP PCD's and J-Pipe for a little better flow. I'd love to find a 5Zigen exhaust, but unless that unicorn shows up around bonus time it's most likely a pipe dream. I've also been reading up on the J37 intake and throttle body upgrade, intake spacer, XLR8/Unorthodox pulleys etc, but one step at a time

I'd also like to get Apple CarPlay eventually, but the Navix units are the only ones I could find. If anyone has any input on these, or other modules with similar functionality I'd love to know the options we have.

I still haven't heard back from KP about the modules, I plan on following up mid next week about those. I can do basic to moderate wiring but my electronics installer is a bad ass and has yet to be stumped with anything I've brought him. He helped me figure out my EDM adjustable headlight wiring on my CRX, and even made a full harness from scratch for my power folding mirrors on the CRX. Which module do you have?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Finally got the windows tinted yesterday.

Excuse the dirty ass car, it's cold and rainy here in Austin.

I always get 5% all the way around on my cars, because Texas, and because privacy.

I didn't get the windshield done yet as I'm still waiting on the registration sticker, but I typically do 35-50% on the entire windshield.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-xtlviex.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-lqyppqh.jpg

If anyone in Austin is looking for tint services, my buddy Arturo runs a mobile tint business and his work is top notch. Auto, marine, commercial, residential etc, check him out on FaceBook (https://www.facebook.com/Aswindowtint/)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car looks great man. I wish I had an A-Spec, those are so rare. Your plans sound nice too, I'll be following this one, can't wait to see how it turns out. Good taste in tint also, I currently have 5% on my RL and love it. I had 50% tint on the windshield up until about 2 weeks ago but kept getting stopped so I took it off. Also with the 5% on the sides and back it was just a little much at night but it did look awesome.

Last edited by LS1SSChris; 12-31-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:38 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by LS1SSChris
Car looks great man. I wish I had an A-Spec, those are so rare. Your plans sound nice too, I'll be following this one, can't wait to see how it turns out. Good taste in tint also, I currently have 5% on my RL and love it. I had 50% tint on the windshield up until about 2 weeks ago but kept getting stopped so I took it off. Also with the 5% on the sides and back it was just a little much at night but it did look awesome.
Thanks! And yea the super dark tints can be slightly annoying when it's really dark with no street lights or other cars outside. I'm glad Austin police don't seem to care about tint anymore, I've had 4 cars with the windshields tinted and never been stopped once.

I installed a couple things the past couple days. The BT45-ACU unit works exactly as expected, no issues there. I installed the OEM backup camera using the TSX How-To and it worked without any issues.

I also installed the LED's for the fogs and DRL's. DRL's need resistors as it's now giving a DRL fault on startup but I knew that was a potential outcome. Everything looks a lot better now that all the exterior lights are LED.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-eatq7te.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-evympfo.jpg
Old 01-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Nice RL! Hopefully I see you on the road here in Austin.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:13 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
Thanks MSW!

Your RL is probably the cleanest I've seen pictures of, i'm surprised I haven't spotted you around depending on where you live and how often you drive it.

We'll have to meet up and get some good pics once mine is a little more presentable!
MSW 6SP (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Nice pick up, the ONLY thing I dislike about RL in TX is that dam glove box. Mine start to bubble too, BTW my RL alost same as your minus the Aspec lips.

since when you moving to Austin, I remember last time you in NYC area.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Nice pick up, the ONLY thing I dislike about RL in TX is that dam glove box. Mine start to bubble too, BTW my RL alost same as your minus the Aspec lips.
Yea, the glove box is definitely the worst part of my interior. I'm gonna talk to an auto upholstery shop soon to see how much that is to remedy.

Your RL is way cleaner than mine, I'll get there slowly but surely. Where in TX are you?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by T.K
Yea, the glove box is definitely the worst part of my interior. I'm gonna talk to an auto upholstery shop soon to see how much that is to remedy.

Your RL is way cleaner than mine, I'll get there slowly but surely. Where in TX are you?

its cleaner because the previous owner actually is a senior sale at my local Acura "John Eagle" (7 pages of service records), he told me he want to buy the car back. I told him sure if he wants to give me $12k

BTW I am interested about you mount your rear view camera, I got all the parts needed just hesitate of drilling into the trunk.

Last edited by truonghthe; 01-03-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by T.K
Thanks MSW!

Your RL is probably the cleanest I've seen pictures of, i'm surprised I haven't spotted you around depending on where you live and how often you drive it.

We'll have to meet up and get some good pics once mine is a little more presentable!
since when you moving to Austin, I remember last time you in NYC area.
I moved to Austin from New York in October. I live on the north side near 183 and about 10 mins south of the domain. I have not driven it much. I use my other car on weekdays and I'm still learning what parking lots my RL can and can not get into. There are some spots that will rip my front bumper right off.

T.K.- I need to repair my glove box as well, along with my center arm rest. I have black interior too, can you keep me in mind when you talk to a upholstery shop? No sense in buying a new one if its just going to melt again next summer.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

its cleaner because the previous owner actually is a senior sale at my local Acura "John Eagle" (7 pages of service records), he told me he want to buy the car back. I told him sure if he wants to give me $12k
BTW I am interested about you mount your rear view camera, I got all the parts needed just hesitate of drilling into the trunk.
I was able to pick up the OEM camera and trunk trim off eBay, I ended up not being able to get the OEM camera to work so I threw in an aftermarket one that I had.

Here's one on eBay for cheap (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-ACURA-...Rak:rk:18:pf:0)

Here's how mine came out.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-hcmskhh.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-jv1w5tr.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-0gisnvm.jpg

I moved to Austin from New York in October. I live on the north side near 183 and about 10 mins south of the domain. I have not driven it much. I use my other car on weekdays and I'm still learning what parking lots my RL can and can not get into. There are some spots that will rip my front bumper right off.

T.K.- I need to repair my glove box as well, along with my center arm rest. I have black interior too, can you keep me in mind when you talk to a upholstery shop? No sense in buying a new one if its just going to melt again next summer.
I have the same issue in my CRX, but luckily the big ass front tow hooks save me most of the time.

I'll definitely keep you in mind when i'm searching around, hopefully we can get a discount. I have a homeboy that did auto upholstery a long time ago but he takes forever.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Good work OP, reading your posts makes me chuckle just a little but, I don't know why you strike me as me, if that makes any sense LOL
Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
looks good. all you need is a new glove compartment or get it rewrapped
Old 01-07-2019, 03:14 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Good work OP, reading your posts makes me chuckle just a little but, I don't know why you strike me as me, if that makes any sense LOL
I try and use as many OEM options as possible to keep stuff clean

Haha! I totally get it, I forgot about the chat threads, time to get back in that!

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
looks good. all you need is a new glove compartment or get it rewrapped
Yea, I'm hoping It doesn't cost the same as a replacement glove box to get it recovered. If anyone else in the Austin area is looking to get it done lmk, the more people interested, the cheaper we can probably talk a shop into doing it.

I also finally sold my beater Accord on Sunday, so new parts should be coming soon as long as nothing else comes up.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

I've also had no luck contacting KPTechnologies about any modules, so if anyone has a windows roll up or mirror tilt module for an RL i'd be happy to take it off your hands!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I got a module but its for a TL-S, its brand new still in the box with receipt lol. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:51 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

I know i've been MIA for a little bit, but i'm back at it now.

Finally getting around to doing all the maintenance on the RL. My rotors and pads still have plenty of life left in them so I decided not to upgrade them for now, but I did get the FastLine stainless steel brake lines which will hopefully stiffen up the pedal a bit.

I bought everything to flush the brake fluid, tranny fluid, transfer case, rear diff etc. Also got the valve cover gasket sets, tube seals, ps pump seals, new NGK plugs etc.

I wanted to knock out the valve cover gaskets first in case I ran into anything else that may need to be replaced, and of course I did!

At first glance I only noticed the oil spots where were in line with my oil leaks, then I took a much closer look...

And how lucky am I?! They're both like that!

I checked online and they show as discontinued by Acura, I looked at the TL-S VC's but it looks like there may be a difference in the heat shield and where some of the clips are on the cover. Called the local stealership and turns out they have some!.....for $200+ a piece.

So I take a trip to the local pick n pull, which only has a single KB RL, but it's still got both VC's, and they're both f'd too!

Now i'm working with a buddy to see if he can get a local Honda dealership to cover them under the extended warranty I got from my bank when I took the loan out to get the RL. If not I'll be grabbing my ankles and calling Acura back.

But my trip to the junkyard was not completely wasted, as I picked up the upper dash HUD, complete with speaker and grille(it's tan so if anyone wants the grille lmk). Along with both rear door speakers and both rear deck speakers for $25!
Old 02-28-2019, 01:43 AM
Instructor

I lol'ed at the "grabbing my ankles" part. So descriptive haha. Considered ebay? if not, try LKQ parts.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Another week and it would have been almost 3 months with no updates! I acquired some very good long term parts for my CRX build during the past couple months, which absorbed the majority of my focus.

As for the KB1, I ordered some non standard Texas plates which should be in within a month. I also ordered some nice license plate frames, a front tow hook license plate mount and a pair of error eliminators for my LED DRL's, from Amazon. I ordered a new set of OEM window visors, and the spoilerking rear visor. I'm interested to see how it looks with the changes.

I've also decided to re badge the car as a Honda Legend Modulo, as the kits are indistinguishable from USDM ASPEC, from what I can tell.

This will include installing a KB1 Honda Legend Grille, Rear KB1 Honda 'H' Emblem, 'Legend' emblem.

I haven't decided if I will use 'Modulo' badges on the side skirts, or on the trunk in homage to the USDM ASPEC placement.

I also have the remote start install for the RL scheduled for Sunday 5/26. It's getting too hot to not have remote start around here.

Once my plates come in I'll be replacing my windshield, so I can then get it tinted. I'm debating between 35-45%, but I can't remember what I had installed on my Accord for comparison.

I've decided that I want to powder coat the factory ASPEC wheels gloss black and try to find some Modulo center caps to round out the theme.

Other than that it will be focusing on restoring the chrome trim around the car, as well as resolving any larger than acceptable blemishes in the paint.

I really want this car to shine without having to repaint the entire body, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:39 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

I also am currently in the search for a certain KB1 trunk variant. I can't tell exactly which trim it comes from, but I definitely prefer it over the stock USDM option.

Pictured is the standard (base?) KB1 trunk, notice how narrow the center chrome trim is, and that it has no lights mounted in it.

I've seen a different version of the KB1 trunk that has a wider chrome trim, a narrower profile, and what I would guess are reverse lights on the the trunk trim. Pictured below.

Can anyone provide any clarification on these trunks, or where I can go about searching to find one for my KB1.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Instructor

That almost looks like a KB2 trunk
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by pewpew
That almost looks like a KB2 trunk
Originally that's what I thought too, but upon further inspection and searching, it's a UKDM only trunk with included rear fog lights. More than likely won't be seeing any of those popping up on eBay any time soon, so that may be a wash.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Decided to make a few more purchases today so I ordered the KB1 Legend front grill, rear 'H' and 'Legend' badges.

I also picked up an MMC climate control off eBay, I'm excited to finally have that convenience!

I talked to my buddy who painted my CRX mirrors and he's gonna re do the chrome on my front/rear bumper trim, just gotta get them off.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

nice update, please post pic once your wheel got powder coated, I want to see the finish.

As far as the trunk with light at the chrome trim, those actually called "rear fog light" and its standard for car sold in the UK, some Europe countries and some countries in Asia.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

nice update, please post pic once your wheel got powder coated, I want to see the finish.

As far as the trunk with light at the chrome trim, those actually called "rear fog light" and its standard for car sold in the UK, some Europe countries and some countries in Asia.
I will definitely post pics once they're done!

My brother in law says he can get close to powdercoat quality with paint for way cheaper so I may try that route first as saving money is always nice.

I also ordered some clay bars and a detailing kit, gonna spend memorial day restoring the paint as best as possible so I'm ready once my new grill and badges come in!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day!

I stopped by the junkyard Saturday and picked up 2 rear drivers door window regulators, 2 rear door speakers and 2 "not an ashtray" cubby inserts. I spent the better portion of 2.5 hours on Saturday fighting with my rear window to get it roll up/down faster. The glass had definitely been replaced in the past as there were still pieces of broken glass in the door, but I think the main issue is that the front track is ever so slightly tweaked, but I finally got it to move ALMOST as fast as all the other windows.

Sunday I dropped the car off with my electronics installer to get a remote start put it in, that went in with no issues and I also got him to throw in the replacement rear door speakers and rear dashboard speakers, so no more crackling at all!

Yesterday was a long one, spent about 10 hours on the RL, and it was definitely worth it. But the day didn't start out as great as it ended. My brother in law helped me with detailing the RL so I drove to their house which is about two hours outside of Austin, and decided to bring the dog along since I knew I was going to be all day. Everything's going great, we're having a good drive with the windows down, music up, dogs enjoying the breeze out the window, everything seems good. We're about 10 mins from being there and I smell something that smells a little like sewage, not a big deal as many rural routes in Texas smell this way as you pass a septic system or two, but the smell isn't going away. I take a look back at my dog cause she does get bad gas sometimes, and what do I see on my back seat? Shit.

MY DOG

SHIT

IN

MY

BACK SEAT

Sigh, I was instantly pissed, but I couldn't be mad at my dog as I definitely forgot to let her do all her business before we left the house. So my first hour after arriving was cleaning/disinfecting/cleaning/disinfecting then leather cleather, it was good times.

We de-badged the trunk, then clay bar'd, waxed and buffed the whole car, then installed the window visors and rear visor.

I ended up painting my front and rear bumper trim flat black, I didn't think I would like the idea when my BIL suggested it, but I honestly kinda like the way it turned out. I'm still looking into all my options for the trim, but it definitely looks a lot better now!

T.K's ASPEC KB1-yb4aash.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-73nj5xk.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-qgisrs3.jpg

My front grill and badges come in this week, I'll be installing them and taking more pictures when that happens.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Looks great. Love the A-spec wheels. And your paint looks to be in great shape. Better than my 4G TL, that's for sure (swirl-mania thanks to the previous owner probably going through scratchy car washes...).
Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by losiglow
Looks great. Love the A-spec wheels. And your paint looks to be in great shape. Better than my 4G TL, that's for sure (swirl-mania thanks to the previous owner probably going through scratchy car washes...).
Thanks! There are numerous scratches that didn't come out, but at least it's shiny! lol

My rear badges were waiting for me when I went home for lunch so I popped the H on and I'm digging it.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-v6x3s6u.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-owhfqri.jpg

My front grill says it'll be here by the end of the day, so I may install that and the Legend badge tonight.

MMC climate control comes in tomorrow, that's definitely getting installed tomorrow.

I also scored a driver 1 key fob for $40 on eBay that showed up today, gonna run by the dealership tomorrow to get it programmed.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Received my front grill last night and installed it this morning. I think it looks great!

T.K's ASPEC KB1-gbdx9m4.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-hojxxxy.jpg

I gotta give a shout out to eBay seller e-xito5. I've never purchased from this seller before, but I got my Legend grill 3 business days after I ordered it, from Hong Kong. On top of that the grill was packaged extremely well and they even took the time to surround all the small mounting points with Styrofoam and cellophane to ensure they didn't bend, crack or break during shipping. Unfortunately they shipped me a grill that was NOT the one pictured in the auction, although it was better overall condition, it didn't have the emblem I wanted.

If you look at my picture above, you can see the front grill has what I would call a "standard" Honda emblem, it protrudes from the surrounding housing a bit and has space behind it to create depth. I feel like this is the primary emblem I see on Legend grills.

This is a picture of the emblem I was wanting, it's flat and has a sort of coating on top that I feel I could polish to an almost mirror shine like the newer model Honda/Acura's have.

Either way, I contacted the seller and let them know about the issue, they stated their shipping guy sent that one because it was in better condition than the one in the auction, but that they would be shipping me out the correct emblem ASAP. I'll update y'all on whether or not it actually makes it here.
kcjohnnyboy (05-31-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Instructor

That's what you call customer service!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

eBay seller e-xito5 came through! I received the correct emblem today via FedEx and it's exactly what I wanted. There are numerous tiny scratches all over the face, from daily driving i'm assuming, but i'm confident I can't sand/buff them all out. What's even better is I now have both front H variants for the Legend!

T.K's ASPEC KB1-zcwphaj.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-iscepwa.jpg

T.K's ASPEC KB1-kkj8twd.jpg
kcjohnnyboy (10-16-2019)
Old 01-27-2021, 09:40 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Resurrecting my thread after a 19 month hiatus!

I still have the RL and it's running better than it ever has. I relocated from Austin TX to Herndon VA October of 2019 for a new job and have been here ever since.

Before I left Austin my mechanic and I went over the entire car front to back and fixed/replaced everything needed so I wouldn't have to worry about any BS after I moved, as the RL was the only car I brought up here.

Things I can remember we did:
200k mile service with all OEM parts. New timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, crank seal, oil pump o ring etc.
Re sealed the oil pump, power steering pump and oil pan.
New brake pads and rotors all around.
All new OEM motor and tranny mounts.
Flushed brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid and changed the oil.
New set of Pirelli tires.

I ended up buying a 2011 Honda CRZ EX 6spd from a buddy of mine in MD for stupid cheap in early 2020. So of course I spent all of 2020 dumping money into it I also spent mod money on parts for my turbo CRX build (but it was mainly the CRZ.) You can check my build thread for the CRZ HERE if you want.
Spoiler

I was having issues with the RL battery dying if it sat for too long, due to this it didn't get driven a whole lot this past year. Finally tracked it down to the HFL module so that's unplugged now and I get to hear all the awesome voice alerts when I do anything on the infotainment system
I'm gonna try either the baking method, or replacing the capacitor on the board as I don't wanna spend $100+ on a used one that might also fail.

From it dying so frequently it basically killed the battery as it wouldn't hold any sort of charge anymore. "No big deal" I thought, as it's an OEM battery with a warranty from the Acura dealership in Austin I'd always go to, yea no.

Dealership up here says that since the dealership that has my warranty isn't in the same family of dealerships as the one up here, they can't honor that warranty. Only way they'd be able to was if I could provide a repair order showing that the dealership installed the battery, but I purchased it directly from parts so there's no repair order, sweeeeeeet. I had a key cut at the dealership for the RL earlier that day (keys were in the car when it died....don't ask) and the parts guy said Service was running a deal on new batteries for $120, which is way better than the $170 MSRP. So I talk to the service guy and they only offer that deal if they install the battery at the dealership. Read that again. They'll only give me a discounted battery, if I bring my car to the dealership, that I'm trying to purchase the battery for BECAUSE IT'S DEAD. Sigh.

So now I have a new OEM battery, with a new OEM warranty, and got that sweet $16 core charge on my old OEM battery. /rant

I installed the new battery, cleaned it out and drove it around for awhile yesterday. During that time I noticed how worn the car looks with the tattered leather seats, chrome chipping off all the wheels and with how yellow the headlights have gotten. I decided it was finally time to show the RL the love it needs after the past year of neglect. Hoping to make 2021 the year of the RL!

When I replaced the battery I discovered that I'm missing the battery tie down and the cover that goes around the battery. The trim piece that sits above the battery also broke recently with how often I was taking it off and on. So I ordered all that from APW, along with a new set of black all season mats and a cargo net for the truck. I also finally ordered an all weather trunk mat to replace what I think is an MDX all weather mat that's been in there since I bought the car. I was so close to just ordering a wood knob from a previous gen RL or TL, but luckily I found a KB1 wood knob on eBay in decent shape so I got that as well, I think that should finish out the interior accessories that were offered in the KB1's.

I also requested quotes from every local place I could find to get my aspec wheels powder coated gloss black and to get the entire interior reupholstered with new leather. I'm debating between going with OE style perforated leather, or something like diamond stitch for a more custom look. Also if anyone has experience with the center console and arm rest leather replacements they sell on Amazon please let me know your thoughts, as this would most likely save me a decent amount when getting the interior re done.

As the shocks were one of the only things we didn't replace, I'm going to get new ones along with H&R drop springs. I usually go with KYB AGX's or Koni Yellow/Oranges but it looks like KYB Excel-G's are the most common aftermarket shock for the RL? Any input here would also be greatly appreciated!

Finally, I'm going to slowly be ordering performance parts to wake the car up some. Short ram intake and RV6 Jpipe + PCD's will be first, then I'd like to start looking into the J37 Intake manifolds, throttle bodies and spacers.

Sorry for the wall of text and no pictures, but that's all I got for now! I'll post further updates and pictures as I do work on the RL. It's good to be back
Old 01-29-2021, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep in mind if you go drilled and slotted rotors (no reason to) you can’t get them turned and will have to buy new every time. I think you’ll feel more from the stainless lines than anything else. Maybe a master cylinder upgrade if there is a company out there that makes them.

any idea what to do about the glove box? Mine is starting to bubble in spots too. I wonder how to fix it.

nice find too! I love the a-spec model. Hopefully she lasts you a long time!

edit: never mind. I see this was originally much older. Whoops. I’m sure you know about the rotors.

Last edited by sccrxer; 01-29-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:21 AM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Originally Posted by sccrxer
Keep in mind if you go drilled and slotted rotors (no reason to) you can’t get them turned and will have to buy new every time. I think you’ll feel more from the stainless lines than anything else. Maybe a master cylinder upgrade if there is a company out there that makes them.
any idea what to do about the glove box? Mine is starting to bubble in spots too. I wonder how to fix it.
nice find too! I love the a-spec model. Hopefully she lasts you a long time!
edit: never mind. I see this was originally much older. Whoops. I’m sure you know about the rotors.
Haha, no worries. Yea I know about the drilled/slotted rotors and not being able to turn them. I don't plan on going too extreme with the RL since my CRZ satisfies my need to have a bunch of mods on a 6spd car that's slow lol

The glove box issues are something that effects all of us RL owners
I've seen some people recover them and they look okay, main issue seems to be how to make it look good around the latch. I included the glove box in the quote requests I sent out the other day. I'm hoping someone can repair it.

I was pretty stoked that I managed to get an Aspec model after reading how rare they are, really love the look the kit adds. Also once I finally saw my RL next to a stock one I was able to see how good the aspec springs make the car look.

I plan on getting some H&R lowering springs soon and I'm debating on whether or not I should sell the aspec springs or keep them as spares.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:42 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Wood shifter and the trunk tray showed up late last week.

Shifter looks great, can't wait to install it. I also got a leather shift boot that I'm considering installing at the same time. I'm hoping it'll add a little touch to the interior, like the KB2's have, but it would cover the entire silver shifter area.

Trunk tray got here super quick since it was coming from MD, but it had to sit out in the sun for awhile due to the way it was packaged. Haven't put it in yet since it's been snowing here for the past 3 days. Also cat tax.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-cdx5nwm.jpg

I've gotten a couple contacts back about my wheels and interior. I'm going to try and make it by the upholstery shop sometime this week so they can check out the interior and give me a more accurate quote for what I'm wanting done. I know it's going to be expensive, so the interior refresh may have to wait a month or two, we'll see.

Got 2 contacts back about my wheels,1 shop straight up said they couldn't/wouldn't do them because they're chrome, another shop said no problem. I originally wanted them powder coated, and the shop said they can do powder coat, but they recommend painting due to cost and repair ability. They sent me some photos of gloss black wheels they've painted and they look good. They also said it's cheaper and easier to repair painted wheels if they're curbed or scratched. Also their wait time on powder coating was something like 4 months at this point.

Cost would be around $900, and includes:
-Dropping my car off with them.
-Dismounting wheels and tires.
-Repairing minor surface/curb damages on the wheels.
-Removing existing balance weights and residue.
-Prepping/Painting the faces gloss black and the barrels satin black. +$40 a wheel if I want the barrels painted gloss black as well.
-Remounting tires on wheels.
-Balancing and installation of wheels.
-3-4 day turnaround.

I was initially all about getting my aspecs refinished, but then I came across an OEM set of wheels for cheap and I'm trying to decide if I want to change it up a little. I mainly don't want to get my aspecs refinished, then come across some wheels I want a couple months later.

I found a set of 2017-2020 Civic Type R wheels locally that are pretty cheap. 2 of them definitely need to be refinished and they don't come with tires. I've already emailed the wheel shop back to see if the price changes if I just drop off a set of wheels that only need repair/paint. They're 20x8.5 +60, the aspec wheels are 18x8 +55, so I don't think I'll have any fitment issues, but chime in with any thoughts you have.

If I got them, I would get all 4 repainted gloss black so they all look new and matching. I wasn't able to find any photos of these wheels on a 2G RL, but I did find a pic with them on a 4G TL and I think they look nice.

I also plan on getting new KYB shocks, along with H&R lowering springs soon. So I found a couple pictures of this wheel size + springs combo.

I like the way it looks and I think the aspec kit will help fill out the drop nicely.

I guess it'll really come down to how much the wheel shop will do the Type R wheels for. I'll let y'all know once I hear back about that.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:55 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Guy got back to me about the CTR wheels. As I had somewhat suspected, the wheels the car was on caught fire which explains the condition of 2 of the wheels.

I've never purchased any wheels that has been directly exposed to heat at that levels. I read on another forum that aluminum wheels are good up to 350C (662F), in terms of warping or permanent damage from heat.

I plan on meeting the guy at a local tire shop to make sure they all spin straight. If anyone else has any experience with this please share your wisdom as I don't know if there's anything else I'd need to check before purchasing.

I also did a quick offset check between the aspecs and the CTR wheels. It looks like i'll lose 11mm of inner clearance with the CTR wheels.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-eg2akig.jpg

So i'm guessing that means I'll need to run 10mm spacers all around? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I'm not super knowledgeable in the wheel/tire/clearance area.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:34 PM
T.K
PIIYB or i'll PIIYB

Put the trunk tray in the RL today, so nice to finally have one that fits.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-4hzertf.jpg

Also threw in the wood knob.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-dudnvce.jpg

Played around with the shift boot for a couple minutes. Looks like it's got a turtle neck on.

In Park.
T.K's ASPEC KB1-2wy7ms1.jpg

In Drive.
T.K's ASPEC KB1-nhhhqtj.jpg

I think with a good amount of trimming it'll look nice. Also the chrome retainer ring on the shift boot fits pretty much perfectly between the shift knob and the top of the shifter face.

T.K's ASPEC KB1-bbed83k.jpg

Hoping to get to my headlights once the weather gets better. Already got the new HID bulbs in.

Quick Reply: T.K's ASPEC KB1